Words and phrases to banish

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Let's unpack that a little" or "I want to unpack that a little" , when someone - usually a Baptist ( ! ) - is about to exegete a passage of Scripture. I know some popular speakers live out of their suitcases, but really......!

"We need to move out of our comfort zone"

"body ministry"

"Oh Lord, may you be the breaker-up-of-our-ways"

"the vision thing"

To be honest I don't come across this stuff too often - thankfully!

The BBC started it,but now it has invaded the pulpit!-"iconic,"everthing and everyone
is "iconic". Maybe a case of iconography!
Jeff O'Neil,S.Wales

"Preach the gospel to yourself." Transparent. "Self-righteous," when it's misused to criticize obedience. "Moral List," when it's misused to criticize obedience. "Legalistic," when it's misused to criticize obedience.

2. "Sufficient for all, efficient for the elect"

I'll dissent on this one as well.

I certainly have no problem with the statement for what it is, and I very, very much appreciate the 3FU. Let me be crystal clear, I think they are like epic. To unpack my comment, I'll say that I just don't think that this phrase as much of a reformed distinctive as some people might use it to be.

All I'm saying is,
1. Who would disagree that Christ's atonement was meritorious enough for sins of all people? Nobody.
2. Who would disagree that Christ's atonement is efficient for the elect. Nobody.

So, not a distinctive.

It's not the phrase that I don't like, it's the usage (not all usage, just some usage).

The first couple are mostly military-specific (mainly in performance reports since I'm knee deep in two of them)

1. "Promote"
2. "Spear-headed"
3. "Enabled"
4. "Single handedly"

A few church ones
1. Small group
2. Sold out

In general language
1. Any kind of misuse of "few, couple, bunch, pair"
2. YOLO (If you want your LO to be shorter, say that around me!)
3. Pirate
4. Paleo diet

Who would disagree that Christ's atonement is efficient for the elect. Nobody.

What about those who don't believe in election?

The word "elect" appears the Bible. Perhaps a "broadly-evangelical" Christian and I have totally different understandings of what that means. But even if a person thinks that the elect are those that God looked forward in time and saw would respond of their own free will, I submit that they will still agree with the statement.

"Don't Hit them over the head with the Bible"

"God is a "gentleman",and won't violate your "freewill""

"building bridges with people"

"I have no peace about it"

"God just want's me to be happy!"

"married in the eyes of God"

"It's a good idea....but is it a God idea?"

"You have got to meet people where they are at"

"Worship Team"

"God is really doing a work there"

Those just drive me mad!

Last edited: