Words and phrases to banish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack K

Puritan Board Doctor
So, with the New Year the folks at Lake Superior State University have released their annual list of hackneyed words and phrases that, due to overuse, ought to be banished from a careful writer's prose. On this year's list you'll find words like:
Fiscal cliff
Double down
Passion/passionate
Spoiler alert
Trending
Guru

The past few years have also included the likes of:
Viral
Epic
Wow factor
Just sayin'
Man cave
Amazing

Now it's our turn. What words or phrases would you say have to go? General usage submissions are allowed, but you get more credit for offering hackneyed words and phrases from a theological, church or Christian life context—or even better, a distinctly Reformed context. An example would be something like "missional." Ouch. That one surely has to go (not because of what it stands for but because, good idea or bad, the word is overused, represents lazy writing and makes people vomit).

Got it? Let's see your submissions.

Let's get rid of this one and replace with something less provocative because it ain't legit:

"Unregenerate men desire God"

"I'll pray about it." (As an oh-so-spiritual-sounding hedge to avoid making a commitment)

Nouning, or verbing, or whatever you want to call taking a perfectly good noun and turning it into a verb: tasking, gifting, prioritizing, etc.

Anointing

The false prophets of Charismania, word faith, prosperity, etc etc want this word so bad, they can have it as far as im concerned :)

This one makes me physically ill: "when God wooed me". Sounds so wimpy.

And, "salvation experience".

And, "meet people where they are".

The concepts behind the last two aren't necessarily bad or wrong, but way overused/misused.

"Gospel-centered"

Not because I'm opposed to the concept (depending on what you mean by it), but because the phrase is overused. Find a new way to say it.

In college we called those "we just" prayers. And we just thank you ... and we just what to ask ...

Nouning, or verbing, or whatever you want to call taking a perfectly good noun and turning it into a verb: tasking, gifting, prioritizing, etc.

Well, for better or worse, such is historically the natural way of language development.

Hey, wait a minute! Some of those are still good! I'll be wearin' my six-shooter in case any o' you word sherifs come poachin' in my neck o' the woods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back