Catchy phrases...that grate the nerves

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyFlynt

Puritan Board Doctor
Is it just me? My brother in law keeps using the phrase "sold out for God" when describing his friends. I remember using it in highschool. But this is really grating me lately. He tries to describe everything the person does externally or doesn't do externally, and then just finishes by repeating that phrase over and over. :um:

For what it's worth: That one gets on my nerves too... though I don't know if it is just because its soooo overused...?

And, though it's not a "bad one", I'm tired of WWJD too...

How 'bout "On fire for God." That one bugs me when people use it as if it's a profound theological statement about a person's spiritual disposition. Way over used.

I don't even like WWJD. Because what Jesus was called to do is not what I was necessarily called to do. And what I was called to do in marrying a female, Jesus was not called to do on earth.

It should be WWJHMTD.... What Would Jesus Have Me To Do.

WWJD:down:

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
I don't even like WWJD. Because what Jesus was called to do is not what I was necessarily called to do. And what I was called to do in marrying a female, Jesus was not called to do on earth.

Good point! So to balance it, maybe there should be 2 expressions...
WDJD (what DID Jesus do) and
WWJHMTD.... What Would Jesus Have Me To Do..

..just a thought...

You think too much :)

"It's not a religion its a relationship."
"People will miss heaven by distance of 6 inches, the distance between their head and their heart"
"Jesus is like Tide, he'll wash your sins away"
"Jesus is a Perfect Gentlemen, he will not come in, unless you let him"
"God told me..."

Can someone tell me what "the anointing" is? Pentecostals, especially word/faith types refer to it all the time.

:lol:

Originally posted by sntijerina
....So where does this leave the Christian community? Hollerman concedes there is no quick fix on the horizon.

"œUntil seminaries place more emphasis on training advertising executives instead of theologians, we could see some very dark days ahead.[/url]

You mean many of them aren't already doing that? ;)

So now we are desperate for up to date advertising, eh? WOW, and I wonder how we managed to spread the Word for the past 2 millinia?

Originally posted by Slippery

You think too much :)
:scholar:

"Preach the Gospel all the time.... If necessary use words." St. Francis

Well of course it is necessary to use Words. Even Logos is a word. How can you preach the Gospel of Christ without Him, The Word who became flesh.

"Preach the Gospel all the time.... If necessary use words." St. Francis

Well of course it is necessary to use Words. Even Logos is a word. How can you preach the Gospel of Christ without Him, The Word who became flesh.

THAT is a really good succinct answer. :up: I can't stand that quote either!

Originally posted by Plimoth Thom
How 'bout "On fire for God." That one bugs me when people use it as if it's a profound theological statement about a person's spiritual disposition. Way over used.

Man! You're tellin me! I'm always hearing about this person or that person, or members of a certain group who are really "on fire for God!"

Please! Gimme a break!

"With every head bowed, and every eye closed..."
"It's all gonna burn anyway"
"If your headed in the wrong direction, God allows U-turns"
"Give Jesus a chance"
"In case of rapture, this car will be unmanned"

And one I really cant stand -

"I'm in THE FULL TIME CHRISTIAN MINISTRY"

Mike

"Have you prayed the sinner's prayer?"
"We've got to reach the unchurched"
"God is a gentleman and won't come into your heart unless you ask Him"