Funny Latin phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt01

Puritan Board Senior
I stumbled across a blog, where the chap was nice enough to include some ammussing Latin phrases--the kind you could drop at a party just for the heck of it.

1. Satine caloris tibi est? (Hot enough for you?)
2. Heu! Tintinnuntius meus sonat! (Darn! There goes my beeper!)
3. Oportet ministros manus lavare antequam latrinam relinquent. (Employees must wash hands before leaving restroom.)
4. Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
5. Ave. Hic adsum ad tesseras pontificis maximi Colosseo Maximo tollendas. (Hi. I'm here to pick up the Pope's Superbowl tickets.)

Just thought I would share...

Great! Next time I run across these while reading Augustine I'll know what they mean, and won't have to look in the end notes.

#5 was definitely the best! I wonder which team the Pope will root for. Whichever it is, in light of his place in the Roman Catholic Church, I suppose he would be binding the consciences of all its members to likewise become fans of the team!

Yeah, I know...:banghead:

Here's another one from my youth:

Quid rides? de te fabula narratur!

"What are you laughing at? The joke's on you!"

Does that mean that we've just been had?

If so, here's another latin (and universal) word,
:p

Latin is so handy:

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags.

Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.
If you can read this bumper sticker, you are very well educated and much too close.

And of course.........

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.
Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out.

:D

Here is a crazy thought:

How many people would be interested in doing some Latin over the summer? There has got to be a way that we could do it using online chat or something like it.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Here is a crazy thought:

How many people would be interested in doing some Latin over the summer? There has got to be a way that we could do it using online chat or something like it.
Really???? Or, just a crazy thought?

Working on NT Greek intermittently, which isn't how to do it. Latin would be fun, but I'm definitely an ignorant barbarian.

Here is a crazy thought:

Fred, that would be great, but I will be totally absent from this board over summer. I am working at Marannook, a Christian retreat camp for children, run by one of the ruling elders here at Covenant Pres.

Do you know of any good books that teach Latin?

Here is a crazy thought:

Perhaps. I'm definitely committed to learning French, which I am just beginning, and that is definitely pretty challenging so far. I know I'll also have to learn Greek and possibly Hebrew eventually as well since I plan on going to seminary, so I'm not sure if I would ever have a true long-term need and/or practical use for Latin. What do you think?

Here is a crazy thought:

Count me in.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
O si bili, si ergo!
Fortibus es in ero!

O nobili, themsis trux;
Sivat sinem? Causen dux.

Let me guess:

I hunt with billy clubs;
I hit hard,

When I use the upright thrust;
you should see those ducks fall.

Am I close?

Does pig-latin count I'm pretty fluent in that. Try and guess what I'm saying.
Alvinismca is Iblicalba. Huh! Huh!

JohnV,
For all you do,
this "translation's" for you
(since you alone
were bold enuf to play along)

O see Billy, See 'er go!
Forty buses in a row!

O no Billy, thems is trucks;
See what's in 'em? Cows and ducks!

[Edited on 12-14-2004 by Contra_Mundum]

Originally posted by Irishcat922
Does pig-latin count I'm pretty fluent in that. Try and guess what I'm saying.
Alvinismca is Iblicalba. Huh! Huh!

Actually, if I were a pig Latin professor and you were one of my students, you would receive a D! Technically, the "dictionary" way to write pig Latin adds "ay" rather than just "a," and it adds "hay" to words that begin with vowels. "Alvinismcay ishay iblicalbay."

I know, I know...:banghead:

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
JohnV,
For all you do,
this "translation's" for you
(since you alone
were bold enuf to play along)

O see Billy, See 'er go!
Forty buses in a row!

O no Billy, thems is trucks;
See what's in 'em? Cows and ducks!

[Edited on 12-14-2004 by Contra_Mundum]

See? I was close. What do I need lessons for? I was the one in the back counting them ducks with my billy club. He's the leader of the club, you know. Billy, what a guy. What fun we had.

So you can bet that I know my Augustine when I cite it.

[Edited on 14-12-2004 by JohnV]

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" -Juvenal

"Sic Semper Tyrannis" - State motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia

Here is a crazy thought:

I actually took Latin for a year... and I am still learning it on my own. If you do it, count me in.

Veni, vidi, visa. - I came, I saw, I charged it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back