Women uninterested in theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you are lonely in your theological pursuits, do remember that. He shares even our wordless apprehensions as no one else could. It is so sweet to have the human fellowship, and I don't mean to downplay that. But sweeter to have God's.

This is a beautiful truth. I have found it to be true when dear church friends moved thousands of miles away, and many times when intractable shyness has made building new friendships difficult. Thanks for the reminder that loneliness does have a purpose, and that God understands each of us more intimately than we do.

Also, Heidi, though I am a new member here, I have been reading for some time, and can remember a few occasions over the years when your posts made me feel less alone in particular circumstances I was facing, and continue to face. So I am happy to be able to thank you for that now!

For what it's worth, I think a lot of women in the church are lonely, theologically interested or not. I think a lot of humans are. We can all point to this or that about ourselves and the general shape of our communities. But the loneliness itself can be a gift that makes you live more consciously in fellowship with God, reach out in more compassion for others, with more shared experience to relate.

God loves your mind. He made it, knows it intimately, and wants you to share with Him with all of it. When you are lonely in your theological pursuits, do remember that. He shares even our wordless apprehensions as no one else could. It is so sweet to have the human fellowship, and I don't mean to downplay that. But sweeter to have God's.

Along with bookish_Basset, this is especially meaningful to me. I know this is a common experience, but being home with small children all day, down to one car, and a little under an hour from church has brought a season of real loneliness for me. Combined with my own life-long battle with shyness that I just can't seem to shake, I can't help but yearn for the New Heavens and the New Earth, when all these obstacles will be no more.

It is so sweet to have the human fellowship, and I don't mean to downplay that. But sweeter to have God's.

This very reminder came to mind right after a recent Lord's Day. The means of grace are so precious.

Sarah, that is so precious. I often rue saying anything in virtual public at all (the record is going to show a huge mess of faults here and elsewhere! but that's just why we need a Saviour), so it's really sweet that it could encourage a real person :). You've already encouraged me!

Lily I wish I could give you a hug in person. My mom talks of the same loneliness when we were little, and I know she's had some other seasons of it since. She's such an example to me of finding her strength and joy in God, and you will be to your children. And I have always seen her very conscious of and reaching out to other mothers with little ones, older people who can no longer get out, singles, widows, hurting young people without loving parents, etc.

"Whom else do I have in the heavens,
and beside You whom would I want upon earth?
Though my flesh and my heart waste away,
God is my heart's rock and my portion forever.
For look, those far from You perish,
You demolish all who go whoring from You.
But I -- God's closeness is good to me."
(from Psalm 73, Robert Alter's translation)

Lily I wish I could give you a hug in person. My mom talks of the same loneliness when we were little, and I know she's had some other seasons of it since. She's such an example to me of finding her strength and joy in God, and you will be to your children. And I have always seen her very conscious of and reaching out to other mothers with little ones, older people who can no longer get out, singles, widows, hurting young people without loving parents, etc.

"Whom else do I have in the heavens,
and beside You whom would I want upon earth?
Though my flesh and my heart waste away,
God is my heart's rock and my portion forever.
For look, those far from You perish,
You demolish all who go whoring from You.
But I -- God's closeness is good to me."
(from Psalm 73, Robert Alter's translation)

Thank you. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back