Women not into theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me clarify as well that I agree we need to train in the basics of the faith and I lament the neglect of children and adult catechesis. The point is, however, that many stop at getting the answers right to catechism questions and that's really sort of the beginning of wisdom. Regurgitation of facts is actually a pretty basic level of understanding. It is lamentable that most cannot do that and the fact that we're aiming simply to get to an elementary understanding of things is pretty sad.

I am one of those women who would much rather be in Bible study learning the Scriptures with a group of men, than women, because the men's studies tend to be deeper.

In my own church, I think the desire to study the Word is about the same between men and women, and there is a depth and desire for study that exceeds anywhere else I've been. In general, in my church experience, that is not case. Usually there are only a handful of women who really want to dig in to the depth of Scriptures. The rest of the women seem to love to study the Scriptures, but it seems they are either unwilling or have no desire to study sound doctrine, they are more easily led astray when they do study Scripture.

I think this is in part due to the fact that men want to know how something works, while women just what it to work, and they don't care how all the parts fit together. The problem with this thinking, and the reason why all women should take the trouble to study theology and sound doctrine is that if something is not put together correctly, it may work for awhile, but eventually it will fall apart.

The example I think of is a car. If a car is put together properly it will run, and if it is not, it won't run, but what is worse is when the car is put together properly, but not all the nuts and bolts are tight enough. In some cases, it will run for awhile, but eventually it will fall apart.

When talking about theology, I recently heard a woman say, "I don't think it matters that much if the theology is arminian or not, it's all the Scriptures. And anyway, presbyterians don't have the corner on good theology." This thinking is typical in women's circles. They just want something to believe in that will get them through the next day, and they don't always care if down the road that wrong thinking might cause them a problem. My response to that is, we must be like the Bereans who studied the Scriptures to see if those things were so. That means we have to dig in deep.

One other thought that comes out of that. I was drawn to theology, not so much because I wanted to know how it all fit together, but because I wanted to know Christ better. That burning desire to know truth of God's Word would lead me Christ drove me in deeper, and now I've discovered that the more I dig, the more I know about Him and the more I have to draw on for my life. I've also seen after years of walking with the Lord the importance of right theology that accompanies my desire to know Christ. That to me is the beauty of men and women, and why I think there should be some mixed Bible study. Men help women with right doctrine, and women help men with the practical application.

-----Added 6/2/2009 at 12:32:16 EST-----

We are discussing barriers and discouragements to women studying theology, as well as possible helps and solutions. It might be a good time to set some kind of expectations. Here are some things I think a Christian woman (or man) who has been saved for a while should know or be able to articulate:

1. Explain the concept of the Trinity. As long as he or she avoids ancient historical heresies, I would pass.

2. Explain the person of Christ. As long as he or she clearly indicates Jesus was fully God and fully man, I would pass. A Kenotic understanding (Jesus emptied himself of some aspects of his divine nature) would get a fail.

3. Explain the storyline of the Bible in 5 minutes or less. I would expect some sort of creation-fall-restoration-consummation idea, even if those words aren't used. Also, the idea that Jesus' life, death, and resurrection is the central event of history. Details about the role of previous ages to prepare for Christ's coming are bonus.

4. Explain the gospel in about 5 minutes. This will require a few things- a decent understanding of God's holiness, man's condemnation for sin, the person and work of Christ for the sinner, the call of repentance and faith, and the necessity of justification by faith alone on the grounds of Christ's imputed righteousness.

5. (At some point), explain in 5 minutes what makes Reformed churches unique. The 5 solas would be sufficient, along with some awareness of historical confessions.

Also, each person should have read through the entire Bible at least once and be faithfully studying the word.

So, to clear up any confusion, I'm not saying that every man or woman needs to be super-theologian. I'm only saying that each Christian should personally understand their faith well enough to articulate it intelligently, particularly to unbelievers and to their own children.

You were posting this about the same time as I was writing. I do agree with this assessment. Our first adult Sunday school class at church (a mixed class for teens through adults) was to study study the Westminster Confession of faith one chapter at a time. It pretty much covers doctrinally what we believe. I do believe, however, that this is the nitty-gritty, and women should be encouraged to dig deeper.

As far as the Bible studies go, I believe strongly that women's Bible studies should be approved by the elders, and that the women who teach them should be "theologians". Whether we realize it or not, an entire church can be led off track by a bunch of women tauting silly doctrines they picked up in a women's Bible study group.

We were actually in a church once where the pastor led the bible study for women. I talked to one pastor's wife from a church she attended and said she also went to that type of study and it was the best one she'd ever been in. At first when I went to mine, I was offended at seeing him there to lead it. "Shouldn't a woman be teaching this? After all, women can teach women", I thought. But as the study progressed, I saw how fruitful it was and how a lot of the stuff that happens at women's studies was avoided - going off on tangents, getting sidetracked, etc.

I believe women should learn and study all they can and admonish and encourage other women, but I believe that any and all public theological teaching, even church-run theological bible studies need to be conducted by elders. Our teaching of women (sophronidzo) is admonishing women to sober-mindedness. It's not the same type of teaching (didaktikos) as elders are admonished to do.

All too often women's bible studies end up as venting sessions, or one of those inductive studies where everyone colors their bibles with yellow moons, blue stars and green clovers, or where everyone is eventually sitting in a circle and saying what the verse "means to them". So the leader says, "Well, let's ask one of the elders". Well how about bypassing all of that and just having an elder teach the study?

I think one of the reasons God made women so verbal is so that we could do this admonishing and encouraging of one another wherever we are and whoever is with us. And having a great knowledge of theology enriches thise conversations we have with our sisters.

We were actually in a church once where the pastor led the bible study for women. I talked to one pastor's wife from a church she attended and said she also went to that type of study and it was the best one she'd ever been in. At first when I went to mine, I was offended at seeing him there to lead it. "Shouldn't a woman be teaching this? After all, women can teach women", I thought. But as the study progressed, I saw how fruitful it was and how a lot of the stuff that happens at women's studies was avoided - going off on tangents, getting sidetracked, etc.

I believe women should learn and study all they can and admonish and encourage other women, but I believe that any and all public theological teaching, even church-run theological bible studies need to be conducted by elders. Our teaching of women (sophronidzo) is admonishing women to sober-mindedness. It's not the same type of teaching (didaktikos) as elders are admonished to do.

All too often women's bible studies end up as venting sessions, or one of those inductive studies where everyone colors their bibles with yellow moons, blue stars and green clovers, or where everyone is eventually sitting in a circle and saying what the verse "means to them". So the leader says, "Well, let's ask one of the elders". Well how about bypassing all of that and just having an elder teach the study?

I think one of the reasons God made women so verbal is so that we could do this admonishing and encouraging of one another wherever we are and whoever is with us. And having a great knowledge of theology enriches thise conversations we have with our sisters.

I tend to agree with you, though I do think there are a handful of women who are capable of teaching a good Bible study. In one church I attended, a lady who studied theology along with her husband led the women's class and taught a weekly women's Bible study, and her classes were as good and theologically sound as any elder or pastor I've sat under. However, she reviewed each study she did with her husband (an elder) before each class, and she taught studies on various books of the Bible not some prepackaged Bible study.

All Christians including Christian women should know the doctrines of the Bible. A Christian may not be interested in reading books about systematic theology or historical theology, but he or she should at least study the Bible and be acquainted with its doctrines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back