What do PB members do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to make all kinds of different drawers for different customers. There were VanTillian drawers, that looked good but went in circles; there were Klinean drawers that looked better, but didn't hold much; there were Classical drawers that looked deep, but just didn't fit all the pans; and then since we hit Y2K there were millennium drawers, which were drawer fronts with nothing behind them yet. But no dove-tail drawers, as I recall.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Very nice, John.

Computer programming, software testing (quality assurance) with a bit of time in personal financial services. We also raise meat goats.

Produce Clerk...my job is boring. Once I move to the seattle area (if I get accepted to UW, which I should), then i'll get a different and hopefully better job. Work is only part time though. School is full time.

Produce Clerk...my job is boring. Once I move to the seattle area (if I get accepted to UW, which I should), then i'll get a different and hopefully better job. Work is only part time though. School is full time.

My worst job ever was a summer job at Kroger sacking groceries in 1985. I would have killed to be a produce clerk. I got paid $3.35/hr to bag groceries and take them to people's cars.

RN - Emergency Room. Lots of fun. :cheers:

Patrick: true story: I had to take my wife into our local ER; it was a Monday night and the place was jammed to the walls with folks. After looking around, I struck up a conversation with the guy behind the desk. I told him I thought most of those people looked like they should just go home and go to bed with some aspirin. He grinned and agreed. He told me the reason the ER was so packed on a Monday night was because people get sick with colds and flu on Friday, but don't want to "ruin" their weekend by going to the ER. So they party sick all weekend, then show up at the ER on Monday, now that it's safe to be sick.

We got to bypass most of those folks because we were there with a legitimate problem (my wife's catheter failed and needed to get a new one).

Whatever happened to the "emergency" part of ER?

I've been a lawyer for 15 years. Before that I was a rancher from 1974-92. I also was a soil scientist in the 80s.

Right now I'm working full time as a trial lawyer and going to school part time for an LL.M. in Tax Law.

But my real job, and most challenging, is learning theology, raising grapes, vegetables, and chickens, and being a decent husband.

Hmmm. Not sure there're any lawyers in heaven. Are you nervous about that?:D

I'm the vice president and co-founder of a small, but growing corporation.
I also serve as the
chief delegating officer
director of human resources
head personnel management
QA department head
director of medical techonology
administrative assistant
time management director and mentor
company chef
firefighter (first responder)
counselor
police officer
judge
lawyer
seamstress
teacher
artistic consultant
janitor and head of janitorial staff

Oh, my titles are too many. You can just refer to me as my corporate underlings all do:
Mom
No, on second thought, use my professional name, Jenney.
;)

Before I found the keys to riches by joining the military and then the ministry (who was my high school counselor anyhow!) I had some pretty bad jobs too.

Living in the country I baled hay for 3 dollars per hour in the July heat. The farmer even gave us a tip of a dollar and a cold coca cola. I also dug some ditches by hand. My dad purposely set me up with some bad jobs so I would go to college.

Your dad did you a favor of sorts.

My dad did the same thing whilst I was beginning college. I was the summer intern, per se, the low man on the totem pole at a steel mill. I used to do everything like clean the slag out of the furnace, large one but only 4 foot tall and it had just been turned off, so wearing a thermal suit and hunched over and sweating profusely. Also killed some brain cells by cleaning the inside of 20x20x20 foot containers of cleaning agent (thankfully was drained but oh the fumes made me start speaking in angelic utterances). Saw the after effect of a 100 foot long molten rebar that "cobelled" (came off the conveyer line) and went through a man's shoulder and pinned him to the ground. He was fine, per se, no bleeding or anything.

Kept me in college to be in software development.

Currently a computer applications help desk professional - on contract.

IBM iSeries (aka AS400) application developer - private client. I have been in software development for 20+ years using mainframe and midrange languages like COBOL and RPG.

Before that I taught math to junior high and high school students: 4+ years in government schools (US), 2 years in a government high school in Swaziland, then 6 more years in private Christian schools in the US.

When we homeschooled our son, I taught him math and composition.

I spent 1.5 years on active duty in the US Army including 13 mo in Vietnam as a support troop.

Some of you mentioned supermarket work. Of all the part-time student jobs I had that was the one job I enjoyed most. I did mostly checking and bagging. Another one I really enjoyed was two summers in a row driving a Ford pickup for a construction supply company.

The worst job I had was a summer job at a soda bottling plant in Newark NJ. I went back the next summer, worked one day and quit. Two weeks later the riots broke out right in the neighborhood where the plant was.

As far as church,

I'm the precentor here - or what is considered the main support of the singing ministry. In addition to leading the praise on the Lord's Day, I am periodically asked to select the tune to which a Psalm will be sung. Occasionally I teach new tunes to the congregation or teach part-singing. I also organize the semi-annual public Psalm Sings - select the passages, prepare handouts, reserve the venue. Also under the direction of the Session, I publish and distribute a monthly calendar called "Sing through the Psalms in the Year of Our Lord". The calendar is somewhat based on The Comprehensive Psalter with some modifications that include substituting tunes taken from the congregation's repertiore.

Mrs. Sulzmann and I also keep and replenish the supplies that are used for the monthly fellowship meals, Psalm sings and other get-togethers that incldue refreshments. We coordinate with others using a sign-up sheet (who's bringing what dishes, desserts, drinks and so on).

We also help proofread and prepare items for the Presbyterian Reformed Magazine.

Last edited:
Rich, when did you meet Patrick Swayze?

325.jpg

Last edited:
By trade I'm an electrician. Currently though I'm employed as a maintenance manager for a local university.

Hmmm. Not sure there're any lawyers in heaven. Are you nervous about that?
Well, at least there's Zenas! And what about Calvin?

But, yes, I have been known to be nervous.

Vic, I think Calvin was the last lawyer (and the last Frenchman) that got in. I can see why you went Reformed; as an Arminian, you'd never be able to dig yourself out of the hole. :)

Didn't recognize the church name so looked it up; in High School I used to bowl where you worship!

Bowling for Minas, anyone?

As noted by Jeff B., there's another thread that contains the gory details - but I'm a professor of physics at an ELCA-affiliated college (no, there's no pledge to sign when you take the job; in fact, being who I am, I represent "diversity" there....) :pilgrim:

I am a wife, mother of adult children, grandmother to a wonderful baby – who works at CURVES, subs in the public schools sometimes, is working on the great American novel, dabbles in watercolors and clay –

I am thinking we have something in common. How long have you been teaching? I have been a band director for 10 years now. I went to Arkansas Tech University. I play the Trombone...Conn 88H. Tell me more about your career.

Sixth year teaching (first four were at the HS level teaching band AND choir), spent extra time at the college level (during my college years - Bowie State University) functioning as the assistant band director - arranging, running rehearsals, writing/designing drills and a few dozen other things.

Currently 2 years at the middle school level and having fun with it. We just got a II at district festival with a I in sight reading. :D

Saxophone - Alto (primarily). It's a Jupiter intermediate model (with the high F#). Had it since the week after I graduated HS. I'm long overdue for a Selmer Super Action 80.

Have you blown anything up? When I was in high school, I think most kids took chemistry hoping something would blow up.

Not on purpose, but you're right, when it happens the kids love it!

Sixth year teaching (first four were at the HS level teaching band AND choir), spent extra time at the college level (during my college years - Bowie State University) functioning as the assistant band director - arranging, running rehearsals, writing/designing drills and a few dozen other things.

Currently 2 years at the middle school level and having fun with it. We just got a II at district festival with a I in sight reading. :D

Saxophone - Alto (primarily). It's a Jupiter intermediate model (with the high F#). Had it since the week after I graduated HS. I'm long overdue for a Selmer Super Action 80.

Are you a DCI fan?

As I read the posts above, I began to wonder if I was the only musician/music teacher on PB; but then I came across the posts from those who have taught band. While I am not a band teacher, I am a piano teacher as well as a piano performer. I completed my piano performing and piano teaching diplomas with the Royal Conservatory of Music in 2004 and 2005. I also work casual as a secretary for my father (which means being the office tech support as well :)). Other jobs? My first was helping my father in his hamburger/donair shop (at age 10) and later, at various intervals, I worked as a janitor/porter.

S.A.H.H.W.M. (Stay at home homeschooling wife and mamma)

Oh and did I mention I love my job!?:up:

Right now I work in an antiques store. I sit in the back and list things on eBay. I'm planning to go back to school this Fall to study music and English. If something else jumps out at me, then I'll study that, as well.

As far as a career goes, I only have vague ideas. I would love to be able to support myself with my music, but I'm not holding out for that. I also think I might like to teach music, so I plan to look into that as I get more schooling done. Other than that, I have no idea.

*Unknown Title*/Legal Assistant

I work in an administrative law (social security disability) law firm as a writer for the attorneys at the hearing and appellate level, going through medical records, case-law, and internal regulations of the SSA. I've also phone-interviewed clients and I'll be trained to do intakes (where people are calling initially to start the process of working with our firm). I'm still not totally sure what else I'll be getting, but the firm has built this opportunity to be the ultimate pre-law training regimen, and I can see how it is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back