Who is Your Favorite Christian Author?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if people would share who their favorite Christian author is.

Right now it's the Southern gentleman, Mr. Robert L. Dabney, although he has some tough competition, including:

Mr. Calvin
Mr. D'Aubigne
Mr. I. Murray
Mr. Ryle
etc.

Of living writers Iain Murray, no question.
Without that qualification Spurgeon and Ryle come in alongside, but of the three, he still easily wins "most impossible to put down".
You did say "favourite", implying active pleasure, which is different from honour and estimation! (he gets those too)

Christian authors that have greatly shaped my theology are:

1. John MacArthur
  2. R.C. Sproul
  3. Jerry Bridges
  4. Michael Horton

joel osteen

That's some fine print right there. Hahahaha. :D

-----Added 11/21/2009 at 05:28:14 EST-----

My take: Augustine, John Calvin, John Owen, Michael Horton, R.S. Clark, Graeme Goldsworthy—wanna stay on a Truly Reformed diet. :)

John Calvin, Martin Lloyd-Jones, C H Spurgeon, Greg Bahnsen. For non-theological reading (which I find is exceedingly rare these days) I enjoy fantasy- Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. Yeah, I know Peretti's theology is off, but he writes good stories.

Ted Dekker is my favorite author! I also really like Agatha Christie.

To the one who wrote "Joel Olsteen",

You made me laugh.

I adore Edith Schaeffer's writings (but for meaty subjects ... I can't pick just one)

Just wondering if people would share who their favorite Christian author is.

I would have to say mine is J. C. Ryle (As you could guess from my avatar). I have found that when I am going through a hard time if I pick up one of Ryle’s books God always uses it to put me on my knees in prayer. It also helps that Ryle introduced me to Gurnall and Watson my favorite puritans.
:book2::book2::book2:
My favorite by far is CS Lewis than Ted Dekker

I have many...but I second the motion on Jerry Bridges. I think I appreciate his writings even *more* after having met him a few times and attended a couple of low-key breakfasts with him. He is truly who he appears to be in his writings, a very humble man. He speaks the truth, gently. I could listen to him for hours, just as I have devoured his books.

Oh, that I would/could have the privilege of meeting more of my favorites and to be able, then, to hear their voices as I read. :)

R.C. Sproul, Michael Horton, a' Brakel, Bunyan, Calvin, Beeke, Marsden, Grisham

[Based on the importance of the information they deliver to me or the enjoyment (Grisham) they afford, not craftsmanship, style, or even agreement (Marsden). Grisham is like potato chips . . . irresistible whether it nourishes or not]

I love all of the authors already (seriously) mentioned, and I have to also give a shout out to Elisabeth Elliot. I think I've read all of her books, and also read her newsletter for years. She has helped me so much in living in grace and trust in the sovereignty and providence of God through the most trying times.

Only one? That's like saying "what's your one favorite food" (me being a chow hound) or "what's your one favorite piece of classical music"? God has truly laid a banquet before us... :D

Of those in heaven:
Thomas Watson (or Jonathan Edwards , or Richard Baxter , or AW Pink!)

Of those still with us:
John Piper (and Iain Murray)

Theologically: John Piper *though hes currently all i have,...i cant find reformed theology books ANYWHERE*
Comedy: Deepak Chopra :D :D :D

Of living writers: Packer and Piper
of those in glory: Lloyd Jones, William Bridge (A Lifting Up for the Downcast)
John Bunyan (Writings on Prayer).

Newly discovering Richard Sibbes (why did I wait so long to start reading him?)

Jeremiah Burroughs Commentary on Hosea

My wife is a big fan of Alexander McCall Smith, and she got me to read his Professor Von Igelfeld Trilogy, cumulatively titled The 2 1/2 Pillars of Wisdom. I thoroughly enjoyed that, though I don't normally read fiction.

Last edited:
William Ames! He's unparalleled in his ability to wed rigorous scholarship and vital piety. Michael Horton is my favorite writer currently writing.

William Ames! He's unparalleled in his ability to wed rigorous scholarship and vital piety. Michael Horton is my favorite writer currently writing.

Not Cotton Mather? ;) For my part, I love Mr. Mather's Essays to Do Good which are very helpful without being legalistic and his Magnalia Christi Americana and Wonders of the Invisible World.

R.C. Sproul has been my favorite for learning about reformed theology. Walter Martin was a great help in understanding essential Christian doctrines early in my Christian life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back