Who is Your All-Time Favorite Puritan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Which Puritan has benefited your soul more than any other? Along with that, what is your favorite work from him?

As for me, I would have to go with Thomas Watson. He is so clear to me, and very brilliant. I love his understanding of the Scriptures and his passion for Theology to be lived in holiness. My favorite work is "Heaven Taken by Storm." He talks about being spiritually violent in our pursuit of heaven, in the means of grace God has given us. I feel like reading the Bible and this book together really help me practically live the Christian life.

English Puritans...Christopher Love or Jeremiah Burroughs. Hard to choose between them.

American Puritans...Jonathan Edwards hands down.

I haven't read as many puritans as I would like to yet. I have benefitted from Rutherford.

Walter Marshall's the guy who led me into Reformed theology. I'm so thankful for 'The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification.'

When "favorite" is the criteria I have to vote for Watson too. This is because I appreciate crisp, clear, memorable writing, and Watson's writing is exceptional.

John Owen . . . "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)

The puritan work that has affected me the most would probably be Burroughs' "Rare Jewel". It really did change my life, for which I am incredibly thankful.

Owen on "Mortification" and on "Spiritual-mindedness" are both life changing as well. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
John Owen for me. He was the learned of learned of the Puritans. His clear laying out of immense depth of thought is relishing. My favorite book smell is actually his set by Goold (BOT). The smell brings to mind the sweet words that satiated my heart.

I'm liking a bit of Baxter at the moment. (Saints Everlasting Rest) Last month it was Edwards, :)
Practically everything I read of the Puritans just floors me though.

The puritan I've read the most is Richard Baxter, because I happened to get the set of his works early on. Despite the neonomianism I have been blessed by his devotional writings. "A dying man preaching to dying men."

Picking a favorite is an impossible task. I cannot pick one without feeling I've done some injustice to the others. My favorite is Watson... and Bunyan... and Baxter... and Boston... and Manton... and Henry, and Flaval, and Brooks, and Burroughs, and Owen, and Edwards, and Secker, and Sibbes, &c. &c. &c.

These men have been constant companions and friends to me in the great work of the ministry. And I yearn for that fellowship I shall enjoy with them and many others in our Master's Kingdom.

Bunyan. Not only did he write great works like Pilgrims Progress, but he also could eat flapjacks the size of tree trunks and carved the Grand Canyon with his giant blue ox. Its inspiring to think that people of all shapes and sizes can be used in mighty ways for the kingdom.

Here is article on article on Bunyan that you might like.
http://goo.gl/ILUuID

Regarding Bunyan, when my daughter was young she saw two bones protruding from the sides of each of my big toes and asked me what those were. I replied, "They are bunions." She replied, with great frustration, "Dad! Does EVERYTHING have to be Puritan???"

So I named the left one Paul and the right one John.

John Owen

Ryan&Amber2013;1105488 said:
Who is Your All-Time Favorite Puritan?

John Owen - Particularly all of volumes 6 & 7
Psalm 130 has become a kind of theme for my life.
"But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared."

It's a toss-up between John Flavel or Jonathan Edwards.

But I'm with our brother above: how can you pick just one? Honorable mention to Watson, Brooks, Ames, a'Brakel, Owen...what an amazing privilege to read these writings.

I deeply respect Jonathan Edwards, but for those who are big fans, what is it that you like so much about him? I have his volumes and I've tried reading a few writings, but they didn't really work within me the way others speak of him. Maybe he's too wordy and philosophical for my taste. I want to love his works the way others do, but I just haven't gotten there. Kind of like C.S. Lewis. I know many people love his works, but I've just never really been geared towards them.

Perkins and Owen, but Swinnock for scintillating epigrams that capture truth in apposite illustration.

I would have to say Thomas Watson. as a new christian he gave me a firm foundation after reading his book on the ten commandments.

I deeply respect Jonathan Edwards, but for those who are big fans, what is it that you like so much about him? I have his volumes and I've tried reading a few writings, but they didn't really work within me the way others speak of him. Maybe he's too wordy and philosophical for my taste. I want to love his works the way others do, but I just haven't gotten there. Kind of like C.S. Lewis. I know many people love his works, but I've just never really been geared towards them.

Try reading the sermons of Edwards before you dive into his philosophical writings. Don't start with "Freedom of the Will" or "Religious Affections," start with his sermons on the beauty and excellency of Christ. Find his sermon "Safety, Fullness, and Sweet Refreshment to be Found in Jesus Christ." I think you'll start to appreciate him more and more this way.

Dr. Kistler's advice to begin with Edwards' sermons is sound counsel, and applies well across the board with the Puritans (especially Owen).

Stephen Charnock's, Christ Crucified, has continually dropped jewels of great wisdom in my life every time I pick the book up. It is the most tattered and marked up of all my Puritan books.Baxter's, Reformed Pastor, cut me to the core when I read it. Baxter (via J. I. Packer) was the gateway to the Puritans for me. To pick just one would be very hard but it would be between Baxter, Charnock, Manton & Flavel.

Thomas Brooks, for sure.

Precious Remedies was the first thing I ever read by a Puritan, and it was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back