Who is your favorite Arminian preacher/teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arminius, Oden, Wesley, Miley, Burt are often helpful.

hmm I only really know about Wesley. though I'm assuming Arminius is THEE arminius... I never thought of actually reading his stuff hmmm food for thought. :think:

William Pope Burt's Compendium of Christian Theology: Here

John Miley's Systematic isn't online, and though it is hard to find, it is probably the best Arminian systematic. (Thomas) Oden is a "post-conservative" arminian theologian. He is one of the better arminian scholars writing today. Once and a while I'll check ebay for cheap usd copies of their books.
For some reason many of the classic works in arminian theology have not been reprinted and are rare, if not impossible except in select libraries, to obtain. I've alwayed wondered whether arminian theologians (or theologically adept lay-people) worry at the ever-rising increase in Reformed reprints (on top of the thousands of works we already have easy access to), compared to the huge lack of arminian theologial works avaliable.

"Miley’s Systematic Theology" is clearly directly and strongly written; it is characterized by candor, restraint, and modesty; it is orderly in arrangement and lucid in discussion. It is altogether a good book, which the Arminian should find satisfying, and the Calvinist should count it a privilege to join issue.
—B. B. Warfield

Systematic Theology by John Miley (2 Vols.) [DOWNLOAD]

Systematic Theology, 3 Volumes - By: Thomas C. Oden - Christianbook.com $42 for the three volume systematic theology

Leonard Ravenhill no competition.

I really like Tozer too but dunno ravenhill's preaching was a bit more fired up and Tozer's mysticism angle I can't agree with.

Though if I remember correctly reading Paris reidhead's website he is leaning towards Calvinism but I dont think he taught it much and Leonard Ravenhill, he wasn't a Calvinist but I heard him preach for a few minutes on the fact that it is God's action that saved you before you chose him.

Interesting David Wilkerson mentions that Ravenhill introduced him to the Puritans.

For me

C. S. Lewis

A W Tozer (in a Bibliography about God’s Attributes Joel Beeke recommends Tozer’s Knowledge of the Holy, how about that? Must say that he is at the bottom of a long list with Charnock on the top).

Roy Hession

Andrew Murray (I am pretty convinced he was a Calvinist, probably not a Cessationist though)

Jessie Pen-Lewis

John Frame once wrote that he rather sit under the preaching of a good Arminian than a bad Calvinist!

I'm not sure I understand that statement. I assume he is talking about the level of passion? As in a fiery Arminian vs. a cold Calvinist.

If so, it seems to me like they are saying they would rather hear passionate, bad theology rather than "cold", orthodox theology. It doesn't matter how fiery the preaching is, Arminianism is a ditch.

ahh young calvinists... I think everybody knows the rules: gotta luck him up for 3 years ;)

-----Added 2/19/2009 at 08:20:09 EST-----

I'd just go right for the root. If I have to choose listening to someone mess up the Gospel - I'd just simply go with the Devil.

The Devil is the best Arminian preacher. He's been MOST used by God.

The devil is pelegian. arminianism can still preach the Gospel even though they get the theology behind the gospel wrong.

C.S. Lewis
A.W. Tozer
E.M. Bounds

To name a few. Still haven't thrown out any of my "pre-calvinism" books...but haven't
read any lately. Too much other good stuff in the library.

RICK WARREN AND JOEL OSTEEN hands down....................................................................................................................................................Im just playing mannnnnn lol :eek:

I would say Bob Caldwell,Billy Graham,Don McClure but as much as I have tried I cant listen to them at all anymore,I'm still healing from all the bad doctrine I grew up with as a younger Christian,It's a shame too because these guys all love the Lord and are used by Him,

I can't think of any Arminians that I have benefitted from except in non-essential ways. With that in mind I would say:

C.S. Lewis
Ravi Zacharias
Greg Laurie
Charles Wesley (I could never say John Wesley...having grown up in the holiness/entire sanctification-type doctrines of John Wesley, I pretty much can't stand him)

There's a local guy named Bil Richie who seems to be edging toward Reform at times. I always wonder how far he'll get before he starts doing his "let go & let God" stuff. He actually does say this! Keswick is not dead!

Roy Hessions - guys, you're not serious! Higher Life and Calvin do not go together.

Interesting that so many here came out of such churches and to Christ under some of their teachings...

Can we at least agree that many of them listed have been used by God to bring men to Himself by the preaching of His word??

For me, it would have to be John R. Rice. He wrote a tract that the Lord graciously used in order to convert me. Someone had thrown it out in a landfill site where I worked, I picked it up, and not long after was a believer.

edit::

I would add that though the Lord used this man in my conversion, I do not follow any of his teaching or preaching materials today. He was very much an anti-Calvinist, as evidenced by some materials he published on the subject. That said, it matters not so much to me who the Lord used as an instrument in my salvation, but that he did it in the first place.

Isn't he the author of "Bobbed Hair, Bossy Wives and Women Preachers"? A preacher I was listening to one day mentioned the book, so not being able to resist the title, I got it from Interlibrary Loan. :eek: Good points in the book concerning the subject matter, but Arminian to the core.

My favorite Arminians (for one reason or another - NOT to be confused with theological agreement) . . .

Darrell Bock
James Dobson
Gordon Fee
Norm Geisler
Billy Graham
Robert Gundry
Jack Hayford
C.S. Lewis
Mark Moore
Tom Oden
Roger Olson
NOT Clark Pinnock NOT
A.W. Tozer
Ben Witherington

If Ravi Zacharias counts (I don't know too much about his theology) then I would have to go with him. I have benefited from several of his books and lectures.

John Frame once wrote that he rather sit under the preaching of a good Arminian than a bad Calvinist!

I'm not sure I understand that statement. I assume he is talking about the level of passion? As in a fiery Arminian vs. a cold Calvinist.

If so, it seems to me like they are saying they would rather hear passionate, bad theology rather than "cold", orthodox theology. It doesn't matter how fiery the preaching is, Arminianism is a ditch.

Some "bad Calvinists" never get around to actually preaching the gospel. That may be what Frame had in mind.

-----Added 2/20/2009 at 02:54:06 EST-----

Interesting that so many here came out of such churches and to Christ under some of their teachings...

Can we at least agree that many of them listed have been used by God to bring men to Himself by the preaching of His word??

Indeed. I was converted while reading a Dave Hunt book! :eek:

-----Added 2/20/2009 at 02:55:12 EST-----

If Ravi Zacharias counts (I don't know too much about his theology) then I would have to go with him. I have benefited from several of his books and lectures.

He is affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance, which is Arminian.

I'd just go right for the root. If I have to choose listening to someone mess up the Gospel - I'd just simply go with the Devil.

The Devil is the best Arminian preacher. He's been MOST used by God.
John Owen and I agree with you, dr. McMahon. ;)

Last edited:
E.V. Hill was my favorite for several years. He died just a couple years ago. The man could preach.

Keith Green. He wasn't a preacher per say. But a singer has as much, if not more influence then your average preacher.

Reformed doctrine is ultimately about the grace and sovereignty of God.

Wilkerson "gets it". I've been on his mailing list for many years and he quotes John Owen, Spurgeon, Edwards, and all the greats of the past. He is probably more Reformed than many people in so called Reformed churches, in that he grasps God's sovereignty and grace deeply from the heart.

Yeah he's off in some ways, women in leadership being the most blatant. But I thank God for him.

I heard a Tim Keller tape once that CS Lewis was his favorite author.

I've enjoyed reading Leonard Ravenhill in the past (his "Why Revival Tarries" is a good book, mostly). He's got an eagle eye on seeing God glorified, and what true faith is. It does, however, always boggle the my mind how he can have quotes from Charles Finney and Richard Baxter on the same page.

Hank Hanegraff is pretty hilarious.

theognome

I used to love his radio show. He totally checks his brain at the door when he refutes Calvinism though. But does do a good job calling out Benny and the kooks. BTW, Get Nee off your shelf.

My late grandfather, Robert E. Carroll (named after Lee!). He was a Weslyan, as Arminian as the day is long. He once really dressed me down for my Calvinist views and they were still in seed form at the time! I am sure he would be rolling over in his grave now, where it not for the fact that he sees now that I was right! :)

Seriously, for all his terrible theology, he tried to be biblical and he loved the Lord. I only hope people will say the same about me when I'm gone. Except for the terrible theology part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back