Theological Higher Ed. Should 2 Tim ch 3 Have Some Influence?

DepravedButForgiven

Puritan Board Freshman
So. Let me reform the post. Reform the question.

Given a seminary is where men of God called to the office of pastorate or elder (some see those as the same) in the church go for training. Should not the leadership of a seminary be other men of God who have served in the office of pastorate?

I am asking this from, although a seminary is not a church, but somewhere where men are being trained to lead churches. Should women henceforth be a president or any form of leadership over a seminary?

Last edited:
Wrong sub forum
Sorry?

So. If a man who is called to the ministry in some form or fashion has a cousin (female) who has been working at a seminary (denomination undisclosed) for a couple years as staff. But is now a vice president over a seminary. How is he supposed to respond? How should any biblically faithful bond servant respond?

Do not answer with the American/ Egalitarian train of thought. But what do the scriptures actually indicate towards the idea of a woman being in leadership over a place of learning where MEN ARE TRAINING FOR PASTORAL MINISTRY?

Yes, I could not agree more. That a seminary is not a church. It is an institution. But, keeping in mind the nature of a seminary is far different than a general college or university.
Correction for the heading of the post. 1Timothy ch 3.

So. If a man who is called to the ministry in some form or fashion has a cousin (female) who has been working at a seminary (denomination undisclosed) for a couple years as staff. But is now a vice president over a seminary. How is he supposed to respond? How should any biblically faithful bond servant respond?

Do not answer with the American/ Egalitarian train of thought. But what do the scriptures actually indicate towards the idea of a woman being in leadership over a place of learning where MEN ARE TRAINING FOR PASTORAL MINISTRY?

Yes, I could not agree more. That a seminary is not a church. It is an institution. But, keeping in mind the nature of a seminary is far different than a general college or university.
If it bothers you, offends your conscience so that you find it impossible to study in that context or vote approval as a board member, or vote funds as a member in a church supporting the institution--in short, if it be sin for your participation (whatsoever is not of faith is sin), then you should make whatever separation brings your conscience peace.

If it bothers you that someone else doesn't take so strong a sin-stance with respect to an issue you find intolerable, you should either find a way to live with a brother of a different attitude; or (which could be "and") seek to lovingly and patiently persuade him to come over to your conviction. There is no Bible verse (simple proposition) that could remove all doubts in the matter about which you reveal your passion. It will take reasoning from the Scriptures to make the case you intend.

Whatever institution so stirs you was organized, built, and run by people who predate all your interest. You are far down the line of investors, faculty, leadership, and students. So much of what we engage with in our time is an inheritance of the past. By the time we become parties of interest, we are one among thousands such. If I begin to shout to get the attention of the myriads, is it because the theater is actually on fire (if I think so)? Perhaps the heat is only turned up, and an orderly withdrawal of those who need the cool will save their lives--an effect brought about by rational explanation in a normal tone conveyed to people with reason to trust me. The point is not that you are wrong, or right; but that you might be torn to pieces (Mt.7:6), and still no one's life is saved. The theater (or seminary) may not catch fire; or, the whole place could collapse in ruin for a danger unrelated to your perceived concern.

I might be sympathetic to your exact concern. But in your post there is no reasoning, no appeal to Scripture (aside from vague chapter references). Effective presentations marshal the evidence, organizing and deploying it in ways both winsome and confrontational (depending on the audience). Sometimes, the work of building a presentation reveals weakness in the argument; or that the present state of the argument is actually quite complex only masked by superficial simplicity--a condition that only empowers someone with a contrary position, able to penetrate and exploit either a flaw or a point of Gordian peril. By taking care, an excellent representation of a position could be prepared, that would persuade some who find it compelling.

Finally, telegraphing to respondents what sort of replies you find contemptible signals rage, along with a predetermined mindset. Your queries aren't really investigatory. You have a strong opinion, and will consider beneficial any additional firepower the opinions of others contribute; but in general, my impression is: you already "know" the answer or category of response you are prepared to countenance as legitimate. This thread is about validation of your hostility to the situation described. :2cents:

Some truth in your comment.
There is a difference between concern for the church and its future leaders and making a post because I think my way is the right way.

I seek what Scripture says. Even if Scripture may mean that some generations before me may have gotten some things wrong. I have made mistakes on interpretation in the past. Mistake on interpretation is not foreign to one age group or another.

From my understanding, as a relatively young man. Since a seminary is dedicated to training men of God for the pastoral ministry, should the seminary not be lead by other men of God? You have been doing pastoral ministry as well for decades before them?

Genuine question. Interested in your response.

I sympathize with the concern, and I don’t know the specific situation which may have given rise to this post— but one thing we have to be really honest about is that most seminaries have become more than training-grounds for pastors. They are academic institutions that offer theological education to a wide constituency, including many aspiring pastors, but also many academics and many laypeople (including a fair number of women, it would seem). This muddies the waters around this question considerably.

If seminaries truly were just training-grounds for pastors, the question would be much more simple. Of course, this raises a whole host of questions about the helpfulness of the current seminary system, but that is for another thread.

Fair point. Regarding what most seminaries ARE and what they WERE DESIGNED to be originally.
That, as you said, is another conversation in itself for another thread. I’d be more than interested to talk about that if you wish to start that thread!

Is the female VP directly involved in training men (i.e. a professor) or is she functioning in some other capacity like administration, finance, etc.?

Back