Reading suggestion for nuances of RP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ef

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm preparing for a discussion in our church on the regulative principle. While I'm reasonably familiar with some non-orthodox views that have cropped up in our denomination, I'm not terribly familiar with the nuances of the Westminster's teachings. That is, the discussions relating to the differences between forms and circumstances.

Would anyone know of a book I could read to become familiar with this particular aspect of the debate?

Thank you very much for whatever assistance you can offer.

in Christ,

EFW

I didn't see the following mentioned in the thread -
"Worship in Spirit and Truth" by John Frame. Although I never managed to finish it, I do he so spends some time interacting with the regulative principle.
It's kind of funny because I started to read it when I was an elder in an independent dispensational church. When I got to the stuff about RP I just didn't have clue. I decided that maybe I would just read Carson's book on worship instead.

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
See the 2005 issue of The Confessional Presbyterian journal.
http://www.cpjournal.com
and the article by Smith and Lachman on the views of Frame and Gore.
Mr. Caldwell,

Thanks a lot for the insight. It is interesting that the second reply was what it was, and that your comments followed. See my biography... it was when I saw your name, which I associated with that first Confessional Presbyterian Journal, that I decided to sign up for this site. I must say that it is awesome to interact with you, as your journal was extremely helpful.

I'll reread those two articles... I know that they got me pretty fired up the first time around.

Thanks a lot for your responses!

Welcome Eric, and glad I can be of any service. I have a cpj subscriber in Dayton Ohio by the name of Eric Wallace, which seems a long way from Grand Rapids; different fellow?

My shepherding elder at church is James Visser who lives here in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He gave me your first issue and I think he is signed up for the second as well... I seem to have become a second-hand reader (ie freeloader) of these things.

I will say this in defense of my "frugality," (I often joke that while I'm not Dutch myself, I've lived here long enough that a little has rubbed off) that I begged the powers that be at Cornerstone University's library (where I recently completed my undergrad) to buy your journal.

They pointed me across the street to Puritan Theological Seminary of the Heritage Netherlands Reformed Church instead of buying one themselves... who is the real cheapo in this scenerio... I happen to know first hand that they charge far too much for their degrees.

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by ef]

Sorry for the confusion. Yes James sub'd for 2005 and renewed for 2006. Don't turn down any books! Nothing wrong with second hand.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back