Exercise on the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleFaith

Puritan Board Sophomore
A family member who struggles with periodic bouts of mild depression has found that vigorous daily exercise really helps. She has commented before that she wishes she could do this on the Sabbath.

I think I know what I'd say to myself - that it would be good to exercise (ha) diligence in making this happen the other 6 days, that even from a practical standpoint it is good to give the body a rest day from time to time, and that it is good to honor the sabbath by abstaining.

But I am curious to hear what others think - is 'therapeutic' exercise permissible on the Sabbath?

Without judging the merits, and this is even trickier being mental health, but taking this at face value as medicinal: Normally one's exercise routines should be considered "our works" that we put aside for a day that is devoted to the worship of God. Exercises are elective and subservient to our daily labors as helps toward being in health to do our daily work. The puritans did recognize that a body required a degree of activity, as with sleep and food, even on the Lord's Day, and a body in recovery or not in health may require something more than normal. So, if one's health requires some level of activity every day, then that falls under necessity or mercy, though perhaps the goal should be to be more aware of and watch the amount of time put into it, and not be excessive, just the amount found helpful. E.g., a short burst of some activity, not an afternoon spent in a marathon.

I used to deal with depression a lot. Once I had regular exercise routine it stopped. I work out at least a few times a week, though I never do on the Lord's Day. However, many have deeper issues of depression than I did.

Better a little exercise if that fits one for worship. Just be sure that it doesn't interfere with the purpose of the day. Like Chris said, marathons are out. But in the Sabbath is for man, not man for the Sabbath, so use whatever truly makes it a more profitable Sabbath.

If I don't get outside for an hour or so each day to take a brisk walk, ride my bike, or (given where I live) clear snow, I am likely to end up unable to sleep the next night. So, some outdoor exercise is a habit for me every day. I admit I tend to have a broader view of what's profitable on the Lord's Day than many here might have, so you might want to figure that in, but the claim that daily exercise promotes health and restfulness resonates with me.

Personally, I don't see why Lord's Day activities must be sedentary activities. I know plenty of believers who spend chunks of the day reading, listening to sermons/podcasts, or discussing theology. These are things that can be done while we move around (though reading while walking takes practice). Listening, in particular, is often more profitable when done while being active, and for me prayer is best while walking too. I tend to listen to sermons, Bible teaching, and Christian podcasts during my exercise whatever the day, but one could make a point of doing that especially on Sunday. Bodily rest is part of the theme of the day, and I don't believe we should impose sedentariness if it fails to bring stress relief and overall restfulness.

Of course, this will vary with the individual. Plenty of fitness junkies would do well to be take a weekly break.

I usually do not exercise on the Sabbath; I have learned, however, that I do need to do something to get the blood flowing, if only briefly, otherwise I would be sluggish all day. Lethargy is not the same as rest.

Personally, I don't see why Lord's Day activities must be sedentary activities.
This is something I've often considered from a biblical anthropological point of view. We are a body-soul unity. Much of what we tend to do on the Lords Day focuses on just the mind and soul.

A tech-free hike with my family on a Sunday afternoon during which we sing psalms and discuss the sermon seems to me a productive use of the Sabbath, given how comparatively rested our bodies always already are. I do welcome feedback on that though.

These are thorny issues, when attempting to set holy guidelines, doubtless, and much of it is going to fall in the category of personal-conscience, especially with how we are examples to others with whom we're communing on the LORD's Day. I believe Jacob well-stated that rest and lethargy are not the same (and I echo Jack's sentiment with regard to activities being sedentary by nature, altghough we might have a different understanding in the application), and that is informative for us, I think, in how we proceed. The question may be, how is our physical activity to be different on the LORD's Day? Is it for the same end as the other days? Keeping these questions in mind may help us in our practice.

If a measure of activity is unto being fitted, alert, etc. for those sabbath-duties, excellent. If, however (and, again, this is going to fall into the conscience of the inner-man), it is "Well, I have to meet my daily-steps, caloric-burning, etc." that's different. Outside of it being a distraction to others or an object of stumbling, we're better to be more severe to ourselves in the judgment, and as charitable as we can be toward others. As the Sabbath is, generally, a feast day and not a fast day, so we might think of it as day for spiritual labor, not slothful ease. Not sure eking out a 10k or lift-session is the answer; rather, perhaps, general movement with holy meditations, godly conference, etc.

If she normally does rigorous exercise, I wonder if something gentler, like a good walk, could serve this purpose on the Sabbath? I can relate to the depression angle and struggle more when I'm indoors and sedentary most of the time. I would personally refrain from doing something strenuous on Sundays, but I walk my dog in the midafternoon most Sundays (he's a Basset Hound, so there's little hope of it being rigorous!) and find that the movement helps me to be less sluggish in both body and mind heading into evening worship.

I go to the gym five days a week; it is not a luxury, it is not done out of vanity (I do not have the genes for it), but it is a sixth commandment requirement. I am not convinced, however, that a similar amount of vigorous exercise can be justified on the Sabbath - even if the person has mental health issues. For one thing, your body needs at least one day off the gym a week. So, doing a similar amount of exercise on the Lord's Day, even if you do not go to a gym, seems to be doing our own works rather than God's. That said, a walk might be a suitable form of exercise that is both good for mental health and does not intervere with the duties of the Sabbath, especially as the person may meditate on spiritual things while walking.

Recovery is a necessary component of fitness. I've found that intentionally making the Lord's Day my recovery day helps my body to rest, while also allowing me to remember the Sabbath, and not feel guilty/lazy for skipping a workout.

As others have mentioned, a walk outdoors or a good stretch session allow for both recovery and rest, and could be a good way for your friend to keep the Lord's Day holy while also getting the body moving a bit.

I'll chime in with a couple of thoughts. First is that this is a very conscience-driven issue with some definite boundaries as Josh and Chris pointed out.

The first thing I'd suggest would be to make sure whatever exercise being done is not creating work for others - i.e. going to the gym or a natatorium. The second would be to propose a distinct activity for the Lord's Day that's substantially different from the other 6 days. I'd also echo it being a lighter intensity than the other 6 days, especially if the normal is vigorous exercise like intense running, powerlifting, swimming or the like.

Even if it needs to be fairly vigorous activity to calm the mind in her case, I'd suggest making Day 1's routine as divergent from 2-7 as possible. Like swim, bike, or hike if the usual is running, and the intention is to make the mind as rested as possible for worship, fellowship and rest.

The other thing I might suggest is if the exercise is usually solitary to see if there's another woman or a family in the church she could join for a good fellowship walk.

Can someone refresh me on why in this case the exercise ought to be different from the other 6 days? Lighter exercise I get it, but why must it be different?

Can someone refresh me on why in this case the exercise ought to be different from the other 6 days? Lighter exercise I get it, but why must it be different?
It doesn't have to be different (assuming there's not something like a gym where others have to work), and it's definitely shouldn't be a law or requirement. And just like one shouldn't skip the Lord's day for their medications, this would easily fall in the same category.

I think the broader theory is to intentionally make it distinct from the other 6 days, and I more specifically suggested it for my part because the woman referenced in the OP already has been operating under a "this is not allowed on the Sabbath and I wish it was" perspective, so in that sense, something done distinctly on the Lord's Day has some value as opposed to something simply carried over from day to day.

I generally try to avoid going to the gym on the Lord's Day, but that's mostly because I don't like to do things that require OTHERS to have to work then. But I don't have any issues with exercising on the Lord's Day. I feel much more relaxed, stress-free and focused afterwards, so it would actually be ideal for me to do it on a day of rest on a purely personal level.

The thoughts voiced in this thread have not at all been what I expected, but they are wonderfully illuminating and helpful. Thank you to everyone who has weighed in - what a blessing!

Kids and adults often need some mild physical activity on the Lord’s Day like getting outdoors, riding a bike, throwing a ball around. However, I would fully avoid organized sports or events/places that require others to work (gyms and such). Further, these activities should be done to better fit us for worship (morning/evening) on this day. Of course also if this “vigorous exercise” is a “wish”, that raises flags and more information would need to be assessed as to “why is this wished”? Mental illness is not to be taken lightly. I think Chris and Josh hyoid answers here.

All of the puritans and Scottish Presbyterians I've seen are of the view that physical exercise (including walks) should ordinarily be kept for the other 6 days, Henry on Exodus 16:29, John Willison, John Kennedy Dingwall, etc etc.

The Sabbath is a day of rest after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the puritans and Scottish Presbyterians I've seen are of the view that physical exercise (including walks) should ordinarily be kept for the other 6 days, Henry on Exodus 16:29, John Willison, John Kennedy Dingwall, etc etc.

The Sabbath is a day of rest after all.
Good day Alex,

Perhaps this is not what you meant when you included "walks" in your above statement, but I thought I should add these quotations for nuance:

"May no works but only of God's immediate worship be done on the Sabbath? . . . Sixthly, works of helpful refreshings, as walking, for that may be existent with the immediate worship of God, Luke 6:1. I do not mean playing, Exod. 32:6, or recreations for our own pleasure, for they are forbidden, Isa. 58:13." (William Fenner, The Spiritual Man's Directory, 28)

"After Evening Prayer, and at thy Supper, behave thy self, in the like religious and holy manner, as was formerly prescribed. And either before, or after Supper, if the season of the year and weather doth serve:

1 Walk into the fields, and meditate upon the Works of God: for in every creature thou maist read, as in an open Book the Wisdom, Power, Providence, and Goodness of Almightie God: and how that none is able to make all these things in the varietie of their formes, vertues, beau∣ties,life, motions, and qualities, but our most glorious God." (Lewis Bayly, The Practice of Piety, 608-9)

"As these are lawful, being directed to holy use, so undoubtedly honest refreshing with recreations which cheer up the heart and refresh the spirits are lawful when they are helpful to holy exercises and are directed to that end, as stirring of the body, walking into gardens or fields to take fresh air, being found very helpful to preachers to revive their spirits, strengthen their loins, clear their voices, sharpen and quicken their wits and memories; and being done only to that end are lawful.

So also walking into the corn fields in summer or harvest, or into meadows or pastures in the spring, both to refresh our bodies and spirits, and to give us occasion to admire God’s bounty in clothing the bodies, and his Fatherly providence in making the earth so fruitful, and to laud and praise Him, is lawful for us.

And if after public and private exercise we do so walk about, diverse together, conferring of heavenly things and taking occasion by sight of earthly blessings to provoke one another to thankfulness and acknowledgment of God’s love, this no doubt is a recreation fit for the Lord’s day, and helps much our devotion; and this seems to have been practiced by our Savior, who went through the corn fields on the Sabbath day, Mt. 12:1, and his disciples with them.” (George Walker, Doctrine of the Sabbath, 158-9)

"As for the refreshing of our spirits and quickning them, and thereby making us the fitter for Gods service; as in any modest exercise of the body in private, according to every mans particular disposition, to prevent drowsinesse and dulnesse in attending to Gods Word, in praying in singing of Psalmes, I know none that takes any exception against it." (William Twisse, Of the Morality of the Fourth Commandment, 185)

Good day Alex,

Perhaps this is not what you meant when you included "walks" in your above statement, but I thought I should add these quotations for nuance:
Thanks I hadn’t come across those. Not surprising there were differing views among English divines as with most other things. The prevailing practice in Scotland particularly in the Highlands was to avoid walks on Sabbath, from what I have been led to understand at least.

James Durham's I assume has the prevailing thought in Scotland c.1650 who classed a walk on the Lord's Day as something governed by the rules of things indifferent. "one walking abroad on the Sabbath, may be sanctifying it, yet by his example some other may be provoked to vage and gad and cast off all duties of the day, and to neglect what is called for in secret, or in the family. In that respect, it becomes offensive to go abroad, although it is lawful in itself to meditate abroad in the fields, as well as in house." His subject is not the Lord's Day but adducing an example of when something indifferent may need to be avoided.
Good day Alex,

Thanks I hadn’t come across those. Not surprising there were differing views among English divines as with most other things. The prevailing practice in Scotland particularly in the Highlands was to avoid walks on Sabbath, from what I have been led to understand at least.

Seeing that people in church history had to walk to church, the issue isnt “Am i allowed to sweat and exert myself on the LD” (?) its the issue of purpose and intention right?

James Durham's I assume has the prevailing thought in Scotland c.1650 who classed a walk on the Lord's Day as something governed by the rules of things indifferent. "one walking abroad on the Sabbath, may be sanctifying it, yet by his example some other may be provoked to vage and gad and cast off all duties of the day, and to neglect what is called for in secret, or in the family. In that respect, it becomes offensive to go abroad, although it is lawful in itself to meditate abroad in the fields, as well as in house." His subject is not the Lord's Day but adducing an example of when something indifferent may need to be avoided.
This must have changed or otherwise there may always have been differing views, it appears many others were not of the same mind. It's not only whether the example may be bad, but whether the thing in itself is wrong or otherwise truly a duty of necessity and mercy. However, Durham's argument really serves to discourage the practice altogether, if it gives the "appearance of evil". I live too far away to walk to church, otherwise I would do that though.

Dr John Kennedy of Dingwall said on the subject,

"I would warn you against the example of Sabbath walking. Such an example is presented to you, though certainly not by any who, in their practice, are entitled to your respect. Still, the very habit of seeing others doing what, in your conscience, you cannot approve, may have an evil influence, and as the observed transgression of the law of God increases, in that measure is the volume of the current which endangers your steadfastness. I know few more excuseless things than this Sabbath walking. if the plea of health is used to justify it, how can men expect that to benefit their health which they dare not ask the Lord to bless! And if they can only plead that they do it for recreation, because they feel the Sabbath to be dull, how can they dare to act in a way which so plainly indicates the dislike of the day and of the word of God?"

It seems that by implication, Exodus 16:29 shows that we are to stay home unless we are called to leave for some duty that cannot have been performed on the others 6 days, though I would hesitate to say there aren't any circumstances at all in which going out for fresh air and a walk may be justified, but I would think such circumstances would be exceptional.

"See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day." - Exodus 16:29

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that by implication, Exodus 16:29 shows that we are to stay home unless we are called to leave for some duty that cannot have been performed on the others 6 days,

Since the immediate context is "there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather [manna]", it seems to me that the sin being discussed was going out to gather manna, not just going out in itself. Particularly since the injunction to "let no man go out of his place on the seventh day" was said after they went out to gather manna, not before. The entire passage has a pattern of specific command given (e.g., don't keep any until morning), command broken (they did and it bred worms). Don't go out and gather manna, they did and there was none. So I'm not sure an implication to avoid leaving your house for any reason can found from this passage.

Since the immediate context is "there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather [manna]", it seems to me that the sin being discussed was going out to gather manna, not just going out in itself. Particularly since the injunction to "let no man go out of his place on the seventh day" was said after they went out to gather manna, not before. The entire passage has a pattern of specific command given (e.g., don't keep any until morning), command broken (they did and it bred worms). Don't go out and gather manna, they did and there was none. So I'm not sure an implication to avoid leaving your house for any reason can found from this passage.

I think the implications are relevant nevertheless, as the requirement is still not go out of one's place (with the caveat of course unless legitimate Sabbath duties require it, like going to church etc). Matthew Henry notices as follows,

"It was for going out to seek for manna on he seventh day that they were thus reproved. Note, (1.) Disobedience, even in a small matter, is very provoking. (2.) God is jealous for the honour of his sabbaths. If walking out on the sabbath to seek for food was thus reproved, walking out on that day purely to find our own pleasure cannot be justified."

I'm not saying going out is never justified, but the idea, especially when a double portion of manna in this case was given on the 6th day, is that the other days should be used to make preparation for resting on the Sabbath. In the context of this thread, I would think it's highly exceptional that exercise on the other 6 days of the week would be insufficient to allow (if not even require) resting on the 7th.

Note that Matthew Henry says "purely to find our own pleasure", which is a significant proviso concerning walking on the Sabbath. Most of us who would defend the lawfulness of some Sabbath-walking do not advocate doing so purely for pleasure purposes but either as a work of mercy to oneself or for spiritual ends such as aiding meditation.

Note that Matthew Henry says "purely to find our own pleasure", which is a significant proviso concerning walking on the Sabbath. Most of us who would defend the lawfulness of some Sabbath-walking do not advocate doing so purely for pleasure purposes but either as a work of mercy to oneself or for spiritual ends such as aiding meditation.
I appreciate that Matthew Henry's brief comment doesn't take up all the ins and outs that could be discussed regarding this matter.

I think the implications are relevant nevertheless, as the requirement is still not go out of one's place (with the caveat of course unless legitimate Sabbath duties require it, like going to church etc). Matthew Henry notices as follows,

"It was for going out to seek for manna on he seventh day that they were thus reproved. Note, (1.) Disobedience, even in a small matter, is very provoking. (2.) God is jealous for the honour of his sabbaths. If walking out on the sabbath to seek for food was thus reproved, walking out on that day purely to find our own pleasure cannot be justified."

I'm not saying going out is never justified, but the idea, especially when a double portion of manna in this case was given on the 6th day, is that the other days should be used to make preparation for resting on the Sabbath. In the context of this thread, I would think it's highly exceptional that exercise on the other 6 days of the week would be insufficient to allow (if not even require) resting on the 7th.
Thus, it still ends up being a conscience issue no? I don't know anybody willing to go judge and impose the verdict on the one who is excercising

Thus, it still ends up being a conscience issue no? I don't know anybody willing to go judge and impose the verdict on the one who is excercising
If someone was known to have a regular habit of going for walks on Sabbath or taking exercise I think it might raise eyebrows at the very least. In rural communities in Scotland anyway it's fairly obvious when someone who is never seen out walking the rest of the week somehow needs to go out for a walk on Sabbath (this is not about walking to church, but exercise/meditation). Also inversely, I used to see a lady on her 10 mile (mileage edited, checked the distance on the map) daily walk each day in all weather, except Sabbath.

If someone was known to have a regular habit of going for walks on Sabbath or taking exercise I think it might raise eyebrows at the very least. In rural communities in Scotland anyway it's fairly obvious when someone who is never seen out walking the rest of the week somehow needs to go out for a walk on Sabbath (this is not about walking to church, but exercise/meditation). Also inversely, I used to see a lady on her 10 mile (mileage edited, checked the distance on the map) daily walk each day in all weather, except Sabbath.
Presumably though, if you were suitably engaged in private Sabbath activities in rural Scotland, you wouldn't have time to be watching to see who was out walking or not. Dr Kennedy is taking aim at going for a walk as a way of killing time on the Lord's day because you're bored of it. The walk is not the problem, it's the motivation, and that's only the same test that needs to be applied to any indifferent activity on the Lord's day, whether indoors or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back