Best on Their Instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Kistler

Puritan Board Sophomore
When you think of musicians, and all the different styles of music, as well as all the different kinds of instruments, who do you think is the best on their instrument? I don't mean who is the best guitar player and who is the best trumpet player, but who on their particular instrument is better than anyone else on any instrument?

For me, I'm divided between Jerry Douglas, dobro player for Allison Kraus, and Byron Berline, 3 time world champion fiddle player. They do things on their respective instruments I never knew could be done.:2cents:

For me, I'm divided between Jerry Douglas, dobro player for Allison Kraus, and Byron Berline, 3 time world champion fiddle player. They do things on their respective instruments I never knew could be done.:2cents:

WOW! We are kindred brothers in more than one way. I think that would be my choice as well.

Best Rock Drummer: Neil Pert! Hands down!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:
M-man, the OP was calling for who do you think is the best with their instrument out of all possible instruments, as opposed to who is the best in their classification. Just so ya know.
Opps sorry! :oops: This does not negate the fact that no one has ever slapped skins better than Pert!:smug:

Etexas, oh how I know, I had to refraim from Geddy Lee on the Bass, who is the best on his instrument, bar none. But Yngwie is the best according to how Don Kistler asked. Let them skins fly!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's nearly impossible to say who's best given differing styles

Guitar- John McLaughlin, Jimi Hendrix, Al Dimeola- the shredders are mere poseurs
Bass- Stanley Clarke, Geddy Lee, Jaco Pastorius
Keyboards- Keith Emerson, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul
Drums- Billy Cobham, Danny Carey, John Bonham

For pure genius and realized ability on piano- Art Tatum!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzj6Q61h3oA]YouTube - Art Tatum- Yesterdays[/ame]

Etexas, oh how I know, I had to refraim from Geddy Lee on the Bass, who is the best on his instrument, bar none. But Yngwie is the best according to how Don Kistler asked. Let them skins fly!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can Geddy Lee be the best ever if he is not the best at his own instrument?
John Paul Jones is far better at the Bass.

But Jimmy Hendrix said that Terry Kath, first guitarist of Chicago, was better than he was. That ought to count for something.

Guitar - Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Steve Morse
Bass - Stu Hamm
Drums - Mike Portnoy
Keyboards - Jordan Rudess
Slide Guitar - Bonnie Raitt

It is pretty well accepted by Western music historians that either Liszt (piano) or Paganini (violin) were the best instrumental musicians who ever lived.

It is pretty well accepted by Western music historians that either Liszt (piano) or Paganini (violin) were the best instrumental musicians who ever lived.

For pure technique pianists like Horowitz took the level of playing higher than even Liszt ever imagined. Like him or not, Horowitz's transcriptions of Liszt would have left Franz gasping.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPYwSUbr4k&feature=related]YouTube - HOROWITZ AT THE WHITE HOUSE Pt.10/10 Carmen Variations[/ame]

The most virtuosic performer I have ever heard is undoubtedly Michala Petri on the recorder. For [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYgj3uYgKU&feature=related"]this link[/ame], you have to plow through a little German to hear her play a very virtuosic concerto (unbelievable).

Here's a video from Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory (live).

Prog rock may not be your cup of tea but here are four guys who are not only at the top of technical proficiency on their instruments, but when they play together there is a SYNTHESIS which is just amazing. I like this clip because the split screens remind you that these guys are some distance from one another, counting out very complex and ever changing rhythms, yet they hold the sound together playing in sync and counterpoint and playing as one.

These guys are my standard against which I judge the rest.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhedP71N9gQ]YouTube - Dream Theater - The Dance Of Eternity[/ame]

(classical)not all instruments were included but here are a few
Piano: Glen Gould
Guitar: Andres Segovia
Violin: Isaac Pearlman
Cello: Yo Yo Ma

(Rock)
Piano: Eddie Jobson, Kieth Emerson
Guitar: Jimmy Hendrix. Steve Vai. Steve Morse
Violin: Robby Steinhardt<(from the rock group Kansas) Eddie Jobson
Drums: Neil Pert. Carl Palmer
Bass: Andy west. Stanley Clark

(Jazz)
Piano: Chic Corea.
Guitar: Al di Meola
Violn:Jean Luc Ponty
Drums: Peter breitenbach.
Bass: Stanley Clark

Yup...

I have mentioned this before, but the castrati (Farinelli being the epitome) were considered the summit of vocal capability.

That being said - no modern vocalist can touch Luciano Pavarotti in terms of ability and capability. RIP... :(

That's ridiculous you long haired freak. King David never played Madison, you're thinking of King Crimson. I did see King David open for Giant in the Valley of Elah. There was some serious head banging that day. King David did a cover of "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" that won't be forgotten. (First time he ever did an acoustic version of Psalm 23 as well.)

Lute - Ian Anderson
Lyre - King David
Bob actually saw King D. Live a Madison.:lol: Sorry Bob! You TOTALY left yourself open for that!;)

Last edited:
Ok, let's do this to accommodate everyone. We obviously can't cover every instrument known to man. Who would know if someone was the best on the zither???

So let's nominate in these categories:

Electric Guitar (Rock)
Electric Guitar (Other)
Bass
Drums

Acoustic Guitar
Piano (rock or jazz)
Piano (classical)

FOLK OR COUNTRY

Guitar
Mandolin
Fiddle