Votes: 6 28.6%
  • NINA SIMONE

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beth here are some samples and you and I need to talk :D [video=youtube;4218R-gBmts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWtUzdI5hlE&feature=related"]Here[/url] and here and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4218R-gBmts[/video].

The essence of Jazz as a genre is improvisation. Ella could do that better than most. Satchmo might be better than Ella. It would be hard for me to leave Bobby McFerrin off the list either. (You have to see him live)

[video=youtube;82rNjQpYDbg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82rNjQpYDbg&NR=1[/video]

Ok, I gave them all a good honest listen and I gravitate towards Holiday enough that I would look into her more. :) They are all good though.

How do you insert videos??

Ok, I gave them all a good honest listen and I gravitate towards Holiday enough that I would look into her more. :) They are all good though.

How do you insert videos??

Just go to the video site utube and either copy their address put into the "insert links" option above on your option buttons or copy their URL and put it the "insert image" option.

I like all three quite well. I'm surprised more people don't listen to jazz.

Mel Tormé, Diane Krall, Paul Desmond

I like Mel Tormé, or my current favorite is Diane Krall, although Diane is more of a jazz pianist, jazz singer combination. But for Jazz Sax, no one can touch
Paul Desmond's "Take Five" (Dave Brubeck Quartet)

[video=youtube;OqGuFfeAdgw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGuFfeAdgw[/video]

[video=youtube;odlEDzByoNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odlEDzByoNQ[/video]

[video=youtube;BwNrmYRiX_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrmYRiX_o[/video]

Neil Diamond... Just kidding. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this post.

[video=youtube;fctclmU5hUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctclmU5hUc&feature=related[/video]

Hate to be a killjoy here, but do you think the presuppositional philosophy of Jazz means it should be ruled out of bounds for a Theist.

Jazz is predicated on the presupposition that there are no absolutes and ergo there is no God. Is this an acceptable medium to worship a Personal God through "in spirit and in truth?" That is why a true piece of Jazz music is played by improvisation.

Here is what Wikipedia defines it:

In jazz, however, the skilled performer will interpret a tune in very individual ways, never playing the same composition exactly the same way twice. Depending upon the performer's mood and personal experience, interactions with fellow musicians, or even members of the audience, a jazz musician/performer may alter melodies, harmonies or time signature at will. European classical music has been said to be a composer's medium

Jazz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love jazz. Classic and big band jazz. Has anyone been listening to some of the new bands coming out of NOLA? They are tight. They are sort of a fusion of the classic street bands and funk.

-----Added 3/18/2009 at 09:16:23 EST-----

Hate to be a killjoy here, but do you think the presuppositional philosophy of Jazz means it should be ruled out of bounds for a Theist.

Jazz is predicated on the presupposition that there are no absolutes and ergo there is no God. Is this an acceptable medium to worship a Personal God through \"in spirit and in truth?\" That is why a true piece of Jazz music is played by improvisation.

In jazz, however, the skilled performer will interpret a tune in very individual ways, never playing the same composition exactly the same way twice. Depending upon the performer's mood and personal experience, interactions with fellow musicians, or even members of the audience, a jazz musician/performer may alter melodies, harmonies or time signature at will. European classical music has been said to be a composer's medium

Nope. Jazz is most definitely not ' predicated on the presupposition that there are no absolutes'. It is grounded upon the same absolutes as every other type of music, at least Western music. It is ludicrous to think that it has no basis in music theory. Frankly it takes a musician who is very skilled in the 'absolutes' in order to play real jazz. Even those who are not classically trained have an incredible grasp on music theory. Almost every type of music in the world contains improvisation, even Baroque, Classical, and Romantic.

One question: Are you a musician?

Last edited:
I love jazz. Classic and big band jazz. Has anyone been listening to some of the new bands coming out of NOLA? They are tight. They are sort of a fusion of the classic street bands and funk.

[SIZE=\"1\"][COLOR=\"DarkSlateGray\"]-----Added 3/18/2009 at 09:16:23 EST-----[/color][/size]

Jazz is predicated on the presupposition that there are no absolutes and ergo there is no God. Is this an acceptable medium to worship a Personal God through \"in spirit and in truth?\" That is why a true piece of Jazz music is played by improvisation.

Nope. Jazz is most definitely not ' predicated on the presupposition that there are no absolutes'. It is grounded upon the same absolutes that are every other type of music. It is ludicrous to think that it has no basis in music theory. Frankly it takes a musician who is very skilled in the 'absolutes' in order to play real jazz. Even those who are not classically trained have an incredible grasp on music theory. Almost every type of music in the world contains improvisation, even Baroque, Classical, and Romantic.

One question: Are you a musician?

Excellent point!

In addition, there is no essential difference between improvisation and composition. Improvisation is composition on the spot. And all the good Jazz improvisers have their ideas pretty well composed before their performance. On the flip side, the greatest composers are also great improvisers. They may start with an improvisation and then polish it, orchestrate it, arrange it etc into its final form. According to eyewitness testimonies, Beethoven might have been a better improviser than composer! Can you imagine?

No, I haven't heard of NOLA....what is it?

Ella, hands down.

Here in Cape Town, the jazz/classical station plays jazz while I drive to Bible study on Wednesday nights. There is usually an Ella Fitzgerald song during my drive time. I get my "Ella fix" for the night and then arrive for Christian fellowship!

-----Added 3/18/2009 at 10:37:36 EST-----

Ella has the energy and the flexibility to take vocals to the next level. Always amazing.

I like Mel Tormé, or my current favorite is Diane Krall, although Diane is more of a jazz pianist, jazz singer combination. But for Jazz Sax, no one can touch
Paul Desmond's "Take Five" (Dave Brubeck Quartet)

I agree. Paul Desmond is the finest sax player ever. His "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" is my favourite jazz album -- I can listen to that over and over again. He's just so smooothh...

Ella was great and her long career cemented her place in jazz history, but I'd have to go with Billie Holiday from a purely talent perspective.

I never got the Nina Simone thing.

Ella was great and her long career cemented her place in jazz history, but I'd have to go with Billie Holiday from a purely talent perspective.

I never got the Nina Simone thing.

Why not Nina? She's very good.

Nina was more a stylist than a singer, in my opinion. She did well with the limited vocal range she possessed.

For a male example, I'd say Sinatra was like Simone. Old blue eyes had limited range, but his phrasing was par excellence!

I also think Peggy Lee should have been on your list.

Last edited:
Sarah why the interest in jazz and the very sad avatar, should we be worried about you?

I love jazz because it's intelligent music and I can only handle intelligent things. Also, my avatars are always sad...I was born that way! But I have a great personality! :)

Well this I know, just worried about you.
Melancolic music
Sad picture before this one you have now
But good to know you are okay

I like most of the above mentioned names. I also like instrumental. In fact I prefer instrumental as background music during dinner or doing paperwork in my office. Let Mel do da scat.

It wasn’t easy to choose between Ella and Billie for the gold medal,

but after them, I would say Sarah Vaughan is comfortably on 3rd place.

[video=youtube;NA9mxA9B0OQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA9mxA9B0OQ[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back