Washing Clothes Many Years Ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Ivan

My Mom, of course, didn't wash clothes like that. She had a ringer washer and hung the clothes on a line outside...

Hey, I got my arm caught in one of those when I was 7. My sister was talking on the phone and had to come running to release the pressure and free my arm.

I have a picture of my great aunt stirring clothes in a big cauldron like that. I will have to see if I can post it.

In the early days of marriage I lived too far from a laundry mat and we lived upstairs of a house. I had to wash clothes and cloth dipes in the tub (My legs and feet were the swishers) and then I hung stuff out on the line in the yard to dry. I later got a wringer washer (I specifically asked for one...those things are awesome!!! I would love another!) and still hung on the line except in the winter. I finally got a washer and dryer. We are on our second set now...we've had it for about 6yrs.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
In the early days of marriage I lived too far from a laundry mat and we lived upstairs of a house. I had to wash clothes and cloth dipes in the tub (My legs and feet were the swishers) and then I hung stuff out on the line in the yard to dry. I later got a wringer washer (I specifically asked for one...those things are awesome!!! I would love another!) and still hung on the line except in the winter. I finally got a washer and dryer. We are on our second set now...we've had it for about 6yrs.

Colleen, you never cease to amaze me!

I've also canned (I wasn't kind to my garden this year though due to baby), skinned a chicken, plucked a turkey, and....

I currently make my own laundry soap. (it's actually an "in" thing amoung mommas throughout the internet ;) )

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
I've also canned (I wasn't kind to my garden this year though due to baby), skinned a chicken, plucked a turkey, and....

I currently make my own laundry soap. (it's actually an "in" thing amoung mommas throughout the internet ;) )

Well, you sound a lot like my Mom in her younger days and that's a very good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back