The christian and martial arts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick with Jeet Kune Do(bruce lee, bourne Identity-Supremacy-Ultimatum), Filipino Kali(The Hunted, Bourne Identity-Supremacy-Ultimatum), and Brazilian JuJitsu(UFC, MMA) mixed with Kino Mutai(art of breaking fingers, biting, and eye gouging)

JKD is Wing Chun in gym pants.

in my opinion Bruce Lee's main innovation was making westerners think that Yip Man only had one student!

-----Added 1/30/2009 at 02:45:09 EST-----

I must say I'm shocked at the answers on this subject from this particular messageboard.

Martial arts are steeped in Eastern Religions. You can't really take that out any more than you can take it out of yoga.

I think gotanswers.org sums up my feelings on the subject best:
Is it right for a Christian to be involved in martial arts?

(SpokenFor dons flame-proof suit)

That is silly.

I read the article. He cites one (!) "of the founders of martial arts" (sic) as making a general observation about-- superiority in anything improves you spiritualy-- or some such. I think I read Martin Luther (that famed orientalist) say something very similar about doing everything to the glory of God.

Martial Arts are stylised, systemised methods of working out & training for fighting. In some VERY FEW cases people try to use it as a gateway into an expanded intrest in all things eastern, including religion.

However that is as likely to happen at a Chineese or Indian cooking class or a Japanese language school. T

here is no causative link between eastern methods of fighting and eastern religions.

Time for some humor. Last week, two sons, a worker and a guy from church went to a MMA tournament at a local school owned by two of our OPC members. The guys did well, with 12 wins and one loss.

BUT, my 15 year old son had to fight a girl! Fortunately is was just wrestling and choking submissions, but still. We played back the video, and everyone was laughing because David kept looking around with a questioning expression on his face. What am I permitted to do? It was really hysterical. After he won (as gently as possible) he kept saying "I didn't know what parts I could touch".

I must say I'm shocked at the answers on this subject from this particular messageboard.

Martial arts are steeped in Eastern Religions. You can't really take that out any more than you can take it out of yoga.

Hey, Tina. I've got to disagree on this one. All cultures have martial arts, just like all cultures have farming. Believe me, I've seen some pretty pagan farming practices in Africa, and in PNG. But you can easily separate the paganism from the agriculture. Well, actually you can't, if water dowsing is wrong, and we'd better not go into planting by the stages of the moon...

But still I trust you can see my point. Just because the heathen had a bunch of rituals around raising our food, and defending our homes, doesn't mean there's anything intrinsically wrong with raising food and defending our homes.

"JKD is Wing Chun in gym pants.

in my opinion Bruce Lee's main innovation was making westerners think that Yip Man only had one student! "-----Kevin

Yes, JKD is alot of Wing Chun with US boxing, Savate, Muay Thai, Fencing, Northern/Southern Shaolin, Escrima, Silat, Jujitsu, Judo, and on and on

JKD is just flowing from one arts technique to the next until the fight is ended

Bruce Lee is just Yip Man's popular student, Bruce's modyfied Wing Chun kept evolving and turned into Jeet Kune Do(Way of the Intercepting Fist). Bruce Lee's methods were much more effective because he no longer was bound by tradition, Bruce was more like a UFC fighter of his day than a Wing Chun man although he loved his Wing Chun later in life he used Wing Chun less and less. He always had that Wing Chun flow though.

I love Wing Chun, but it is dangerous if one thinks they can defend themselves with just classical Wing Chun. Gung Fu is art whereas MMA or JKD/Kali are practical

Bruce Lee was the godfather of MMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back