Origin of the phrase...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Post tenebras lux in its Reformation context.

Is there a person to whom we can ascribe it? A text (sermon, treatise etc.) perhaps that could be cited?

Thank you.

Google Books > advanced search > exact phrase > limit search to years 1000 AD to 1600 AD.

Result: Comedie du monde malade et mal panse (1568):

Title page:
Le Cantique Suivant saict sur la saincte alliance perpetuelle des deux tres nobles & chrestiennes villes franches, Berne & Geneve, & duquel 'argument est pris sur la devise de Geneve, post tenebras lux, sut chante & pronounce le dimanche neusieme jour de janvier M. D. LVIII, en la presence des Seigneurs des deux villes, par deux jeunes enfans portans les armoiries devant eux, l'un de Berne & l'autre de Geneve, couronnez de laurier & s'entretenans par la main.

All of which means nothing to me (nor did I take the trouble to add in the appropriate accent marks). Don't we have some French translators on retainer around here?

Recasting the search dates, the phrase next appears on page 107 of The History of the City and State of Geneva, by Jacob Spon (1687). After that, the phrase appears on page 422 of Neu-erleuterter politischer redner ..., by Christian Weise (1696).

In short, by a cursory look it appears that the phrase is closely linked with the history of Geneva.

The Wikipedia page indicates (in English) that the phrase was the motto of Geneva, as well as the rest of the Reformation. ;)

The Wikipedia page indicates (in English) that the phrase was the motto of Geneva, as well as the rest of the Reformation. ;)

Thanks but I already looked at that page before you posted it. It doesn't really answer my question.

Digging a bit further, this page, points to page 54 of John Calvin: A Pilgrim's Life, by Herman J. Selderhis (2009), where the author writes:

Another problem worsened the instability of Calvin's situation--the turmoil in which Geneva found itself at the time. In order to follow Calvin's story as it unfolded, it is necessary to take a look at the political circumstances of the Swiss territories. At that time, Geneva was not yet one of them, being a so-called free city, and its people were intent on keeping that freedom. . . The big cities of Basel, Bern and Zurich had already aligned themselves with the Reformation a year earlier. In those cities, one concrete result was government control of the church, leaving pastors to preach and otherwise concern themselves no further with ongoing affairs. In this way, a sort of state church was created in Bern in 1532. That city wanted to expand its influence, and to that end the industrious Farel was sent out as a sort of missionary who, in spite of a first defeat, still managed to gain a foothold in Geneva. In 1533 the Catholic bishop left after a revolution that was more political than religious, and in the next two years the Reformation gained more and more ground. Images were removed from the churches, the Mass was forbidden by the city council, and the city took over the right of minting coins from the bishop, marking its coins with the telling words Post tenebras lux ("Light after the darkness"). Previously, during its episcopal period, Geneva's motto had expressed the hope that people would see light after the darkness: Post tenebras spero lucem ("I hope for light after the darkness"). The new motto indicated that this wish had been fulfilled. The darkness was gone, and on May 21, 1536, the citizens voted in the new light, swearing their desire to live with God's help and according to his Word.[/I]

In short, by that account at least, it doesn't appear that we can ascribe the phrase to a particular person or text, though it might not be too much of a stretch to say Farel is at least the indirect author.

Okay, so you're not looking for the phrase's origins, but the point at which it became a buzzword of the Reformation, then?

On 21 September 1540, the Little Council voted that Calvin should be recalled. Two deputations, and numerous communications, from the Geneva councils were employed to persuade him. Emissaries, finding in Strasbourg that he was in Worms, rode on thither in haste. A letter of 22 October, sent on behalf of the councils and signed by the syndics, was sealed with the motto, 'Post tenebras spero lucem' - 'after the darkness I hope for the light.' This is the basis of Geneva's Reformation motto, 'Post tenebras lux.'
-John T. Mcneill, The History and Character of Calvinism, p. 157

The earliest I found that exact phrase was in:

Hymnus ad Nonam.

Ternis ter horis numerus | The number of thrice three hours
Sacrae fidei panditur, | Is disclosed to the sacred faith;
Nunc Trinitatis nomine | Now in the name of the Trinity
Munus precamur veniae. | A gift of pardon we beg.

Latronis en confessio | The robber's acknowledgment
Christi meretur gratiam, | Wins Christ's grace;
Laus nostra vel devotio | May our praise and devotion
Meretur indulgentiam. | Win our pardon.

Mors per crucem nunc interit, | Death through the cross now dies,
Et post tenebras lux redit: | And after darkness light returns:
Horror dehiscat criminum, | Dread of sin falls off,
Splendor nitescat mentium. | Splendor of courage shines.

Gloria tibi, Trinitas, | Glory to you, Trinity,
Aequalis una Deitas, | One equal Deity,
Et ante omne saeculum, | And before all time,
Et nunc et in perpetuum. | And now and in perpetuity.

Appendix to the Works of Ambrose, Hymns Attributed to Ambrose, Hymn 51 (PL 17:1236) (translation mine, with some assistance from Early Latin Hymns, by A. S. Walpole, p. 334, where it is Hymn 102 - A German Translation may be found here)

The hymn is apparently from the Later Latin Hymnal, which came into use (evidently) some time after the 6th century.

Well done, Mr. Flanagan.

Now, can it be established that the hymn by Ambrose was well known in 16th century Geneva, or is that spending too much time on this matter? :)

After some digging, I've noted a few places indicating that "Post tenebras spero lucem" was already the motto of Geneva when Calvin arrived. Audin's life of Calvin puts it this way: "On entering Geneva he bad read the motto: Post tenebras spero lucem which was found upon the seals, upon the money of the city, and he has effaced the hope ["spero" - I hope, or I expect] and -written: Post tenebras lucem. The light, is that brought by himself, which follows and precedes him, which plays upon his lips, inundates his heart and robes, and envelopes his three tufts of red beard."

d'Aubigné similarly notes that such was the ancient motto of the city, and points out that (as I think someone else has mentioned), that phrase is taken from Job 17:12 in the Vulgate.

As fun as it would be for it to have come from pseudo-Ambrose, especially Calvin's strong preference for inspired hymnody, I think that it coming from Geneva's crest is the far more likely answer.

(And I note that it is the answer that, more or less, a number of others have also reached.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back