The Bread of the Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
Here are some good words from Spurgeon on preaching the Gospel constantly:

On whatever subjects I may be called to preach, I feel it to be a duty which I dare not neglect to be continually going back to the doctrine of the cross,— the fundamental truth of justification by faith which is in Christ Jesus. This topic is essential to the life of the soul. Men are not saved, otherwise than by faith in Jesus; and, therefore, to this great central point we must return again and again and again, hoping that God will bless his own Word to those who hear it proclaimed. I notice that some of our friends, who are bakers, have in their shop-windows divers articles of confectionery, and I suppose they have their set days for making their various kinds of cake and sweetmeats; but one thing I know they never forget to do, and that is, to bake every day a batch of bread; because, if their customers do not want this or that confectionery, they always want bread; and what is the good of a baker if he has no bread? I wish that every preacher felt that, albeit there are certain things which are sweet and toothsome, which some mouths are alrways craving, yet the chief business of the minister, like that of the baker, is to have a constant supply of good bread. It may be a very ordinary kind of food; some may even call it commonplace; and what a mercy it is when bread is a commonplace thing! I have known some people who would have been glad if they could place it in common upon their tables; but they have not been able to get it, and the necessity has grown into a luxury. And what a mercy it is when the gospel is a commonplace thing,— when you have so much of it that you really understand, it, and enjoy it, and feed upon it! It is then as it ought always to be with the true ministry of the gospel. So, preacher, whatsoever thou dost choose to neglect, never neglect to preach Christ crucified, and the simple, soul-saving precept, “Look and live.” What if there be some prophetic passages which thou canst not understand? The day shall declare them. What if there be certain deep doctrines that are too profound for thee? Thou and thy people shall learn them in eternity, if you learn them not in time. But as for this doctrine, that he that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life,” it must be learned now or never; and if it be not learned now, men will be shut out of heaven eternally. Therefore, let this truth be proclaimed again and again and again. Let it still be preached, even though some who have itching ears weary of it, for there is an urgent necessity that it should be made known whether men will hear or whether they will forbear. Better that the sun should not rise than that Christ should not be preached. Better that the wheels of time should stand still than that the name of Jesus should not be sounded forth. Better that the dews be withheld, and the rain fall not again upon the earth, than that the glorious gospel of the blessed God be hidden from the sons of men.

Ruben, thank you. What a wonderful aperitif to this mornings sermon. For the past two weeks I preached on the Gospel. Reading that quote from Spurgeon is a tonic to my soul. What is the context of that quote? Is it from a Spurgeon sermon?

Bill, yes, it's actually the opening paragraph of the sermon he preached on the Lord's Day evening, February 19th, 1882. Though it uses a different figure, it fits in well with this remark from Calvin:
The observation of Bernard well deserves to be remembered: The name of Jesus is not only light but food also, yea, oil, without which all the food of the soul is dry; salt, without which as a condiment whatever is set before us is insipid; in fine, honey in the mouth, melody in the ear, joy in the heart, and, at the same time, medicine; every discourse where this name is not heard is absurd.
Institutes II.16.1

I can't seem to find the entire sermon online. What is the title? What is the sermon about?

This is the information, Ken:

“PEACE IN BELIEVING.”
NO. 2626
INTENDED FOR READING ON LORD’S-DAY, JUNE 11TH, 1899,
DELIVERED BY C. H. SPURGEON,
AT THE METROPOLITAN TABERNACLE, NEWINGTON,
ON LORD’S-DAY EVENING, FEB. 19TH, 1882.
Peace in believing.— Romans 15:13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back