OPC 2008 General Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Well, our GA starts today. This year we're meeting at Pacific Lutheran College up in Washington State. (I'm not going this year, but I was at PLC for our GA in 2000.)

This should be one or our more peaceful GAs. I don't think we have any particular heretics to fry this year, so things should go well. I think we will be dealing with the new Directory for Public Worship, if memory serves; there will probably be some interesting discussions about that.

The meeting lasts for one week (7/9-16). Please pray that God will be glorified in all that the OPC does this week, and that the name of Jesus will be lifted high.

This should be one or our more peaceful GAs.

Peaceful? There is another conference at Lutheran Pacific that overlaps by a couple days with the OPC GA which is some sort of Christian Gay/Lesbian conference. My pastor tells me they will be sharing a public dining area with that group (!).

Last edited:
I heard that on the latest Horizon issue, there is an article of someone promoting paedo-communion.

Does anyone know?

This should be one or our more peaceful GAs.

Peaceful? There is another conference at Lutheran Pacific that overlaps by a couple days with the OPC GA which is some sort of Christian Gay/Lesbian conference. My pastor tells me they will be sharing a public dining area with that group (!).

Well, peaceful for us, but maybe there will be food fights in the public dining area, should the two groups eat at the same time...

I heard that on the latest Horizon issue, there is an article of someone promoting paedo-communion.

Does anyone know?

Don't know about paedo-communion (boo!) but the subject of weekly communion may come up, in connection with the in-process-of-being-discussed Directory for Public Worship.

On a side note I purchased some excellent books directly from the OPC website (including Stonehouse's biography of Machen) for a very good price as well as a really interesting DVD of the OPC's history The Orthodox Presbyterian Church.

It was heartwarming to see a package boldy labeled as being from the "OPC Historian" in the hands of the postman.

I was very impressed with the service I received.

Our minister here will be attending part of your GA next week... Everyone should recognize him easily: his name's Sean, and his accent is Australian. :)

Margaret

On that note, the OPC's printing of their doctrinal standards (their CoF and Catechisms etc) is probably the best by conservatives in recent times; nice sturdy hardbound volume; their Book of order matches it.

On a side note I purchased some excellent books directly from the OPC website (including Stonehouse's biography of Machen) for a very good price as well as a really interesting DVD of the OPC's history The Orthodox Presbyterian Church.

It was heartwarming to see a package boldy labeled as being from the "OPC Historian" in the hands of the postman.

I just bought a copy of the OPC justification report and recieved the same good service. I was equally excited about the bold package saying "Committee for Christian Education" on it :)

Does anyone know?

It was not an article but a letter to the editor from a paedo-communion advocate complaining about the issue a few months ago that condemned it. Similarly a few years ago there were several letters complaining about the prohibition of so called "pictures of Christ" after an article took the confessional stance on that.

After my criticisms of Presbyterian practice in recent threads, I'll give the OPC this: In their denominational magazine (New Horizons) they generally print confessional articles and you will sometimes have people who take an essentially unconfessional stance writing in to offer their dissent, as with the examples given above. Too often in some other publications it seems to be the other way around.

Last edited:
In most cases the proof texts are printed in full in the KJV as well. Apparently the PCA has now printed a copy of their standards in the same format but I haven't seen it.

On that note, the OPC's printing of their doctrinal standards (their CoF and Catechisms etc) is probably the best by conservatives in recent times; nice sturdy hardbound volume; their Book of order matches it.

I have heard but have not verified that the PCA reprinted the OPC version without changing the unique OPC readings.

In most cases the proof texts are printed in full in the KJV as well. Apparently the PCA has now printed a copy of their standards in the same format but I haven't seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaphtaliPress

You may be aware the OPC and PCA share a publishing company.

I have "The Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms.....with Proof Texts" which says copyright 2005, 2007 Orthodox Presbyterian Church and some OPC history in relation to the Confession. The book is a handy size- about 5 x 7" with a dark cover. It is being sold as the official version through the PCA bookstore.

I also like the blue PCA notebooks that hold loose leaf versions of the Westminster Confession of Faith (with Scripture proofs), Catechisms and an excellent history of the Reformation and background of the Confession. I have been told the PCA bookstore will continue to carry this format as well, which has a section for our Book of Church Order and Rules of Assembly Operations also.

In their denominational magazine (New Horizons)...

I sure wish we'd find a new name for our magazine. New Horizons sounds like some kind of retirement magazine for oldsters. Now, The Presbyterian Guardian, that was a name for a denominational magazine. It should be resurrected.

I sure wish we'd find a new name for our magazine. New Horizons sounds like some kind of retirement magazine for oldsters. Now, The Presbyterian Guardian, that was a name for a denominational magazine. It should be resurrected.

I appreciate our denominational magazine, but I have often thought the same thing about the name. Do you think there is any chance that the CCE might consider changing New Horizons back to the old Presbyterian Guardian?

This is accurate. And Pilgrim's accompanying observation is likewise the happy present policy, and hopefully for the ages. I appreciate that the editorial policy prints dissent. There is something healthy about that, in my opinion, as long as appeal is made to the Final Authority. It may be wrong, but it is an appeal to Scripture.

Incidentally, I wrote a reply responding to an inaccurate statement in that letter (that all the Reformation creeds are permissive of p-c). Certainly, the creed of our church is not! Specifically, 3-4 answers in the Larger Catechism are positively contrary to the practice.

Does anyone know?

It was not an article but a letter to the editor from a paedo-communion advocate complaining about the issue a few months ago that condemned it. Similarly a few years ago there were several letters complaining about the prohibition of so called "pictures of Christ" after an article took the confessional stance on that.

After my criticisms of Presbyterian practice in recent threads, I'll give the OPC this: In their denominational magazine (New Horizons) they generally print confessional articles and you will sometimes have people who take an essentially unconfessional stance writing in to offer their dissent, as with the examples given above. Too often in some other publications it seems to be the other way around.

I appreciate our denominational magazine, but I have often thought the same thing about the name. Do you think there is any chance that the CCE might consider changing New Horizons back to the old Presbyterian Guardian?

They might change it sometime, because the name is a bit "trendy" ... about 25 years ago.

But I don't think they will bring back the martial title. That sword is back in the scabbard for a while. Bring it back out when its time to go to war again. These are days of patient building and planting. :2cents:

A good friend of mine is attending the GA. He writes as follows:

So, it turns out that the wise folks at Pacific Lutheran scheduled a meeting of some gay/lesbian/transgendered group at the same time we are meeting. After it was too late, they realized that their arrangements could cause some awkward moments, so they are rescheduling some of our meal times so that we use the cafeteria at different times...Anyway, I met one of the "other group" on an elevator. She was about 300 pounds and had a deeper voice than mine...We had the opening service last night. Bob Eckardt, last year's moderator, spoke...I get to chair one of the advisory committees. Our first problem was that the meeting room they assigned us doesn't exist, so now I am waiting to find another room...Not much happening yet.

Ah, the day-to-day surprises of an OPC GA.

More random observations from my friend at the OPC GA:

The work has been pretty routine, so far. We just started work on the Directory for Worship. This will go on for two days. Right now, there are a bunch of procedural motions that will determine how we discuss and debate the DfW. We are working through these motions.

The gay/lesbian/transgender group has been sharing our lunch time with us. Today, there was some guy in angel wings and tight shorts wandering around...Turns out, the founder of the group, which is called Evangelicals Concerned, Western Region (ECWR), used to attend Bob Jones University and Westminster Seminary!...Their theme is "One in the Spirit." One can only shake one's head in disbelief.

How many cigars have I smoked? One. How's the food? Typical college food. Lots of burgers and chicken sandwiches. No seconds allowed. One entree and two sides with a drink is allowed. You can imagine the confusion and grumbling...Everything, so far, is very mild and cooperative...John Galbraith didn't make it this year. In fact, no one is here who was ordained before 1960. The old guard has passed.

The Rev. John Galbraith has attended every single OPC GA since the very first one in 1936. He stopped attending a year or two ago. At 95 (last March 10th), his health is undoubtedly too fragile to allow him to attend. No one, however, will ever beat his record for GA attendance.

Obviously, those liberal Lutherans up there don't know how to feed conservative Presbyterians!
More random thoughts as they arrive...

The old guard has passed.

That is for sure in the OPC and it is sad. No more old guards from Westminster (east) or any of their students. We stilled have some in the RCUS, old but stilled going strong.

Incidentally, I wrote a reply responding to an inaccurate statement in that letter (that all the Reformation creeds are permissive of p-c). Certainly, the creed of our church is not! Specifically, 3-4 answers in the Larger Catechism are positively contrary to the practice.

If the context of that statement truly does point to a universal claim, then that honestly has to be one of the most ridiculous and uninformed statements from within the Reformed churches I've ever heard. As a side note, do you think it was referring to the "Reformation proper" (sixteenth century), or all historic Reformed creeds (including later ones, such as Westminster)? Either way, thanks for writing a reply! Could you post it on the board?

Over the weekend, and today, there were a couple of developments (from my correspondent):

On the Directory for Public Worship:

The current debate is on two options on the wording of our third vow for the profession of faith. The wording of the DfW is: "Do you confess that, because of your sinfulness, you abhor and humble yourself before God, that you repent of your sin, and that you trust, for salvation, not in yourself but in Jesus Christ alone?" There is a proposed amendment which would soften this language somewhat by stating that we abhor our sinfulness than abhor ourselves....[Later] We finally finished this debate and guess what? We ended up with the original wording. We spent about 5 hours of time chasing our tails and ended up where we began.

Now, there is a motion to turn the whole DfW back to a new committee to divide it into a true Directory for Worship (giving principles and general outlines on what to do in worship) and a Manual for Worship (giving specific instructions and forms for use in worship). The Directory would have constitutional force; the Manual would not.

And, an official announcement from Stephen Pribble, OPC Website Manager:

We have been informed that the Rev. Donald J. Duff, stated clerk of the OPC, currently in Tacoma, Washington, for GA, was admitted to the hospital Saturday. Apparently, he suffered a minor stroke, probably Tuesday before he flew out to GA. Don is expected to be in the hospital a couple of days, and then probably will fly home. Don had complained that he did not feel well, and had some difficulty keeping his balance. Your prayers for his recovery are appreciated. We would also appreciate your prayers for those who will try to fill in for the load that Don carries during the Assembly.

And that's all for now, sports fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back