PCA General Assembly in Dallas

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Richard King, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard King

Richard King Puritan Board Senior

Anyone from this board going to be there next week?

Also on a nearly unrelated note, can any of you Dallas types tell me if Deep Ellum is safe or interesting anymore. I heard it had fizzled.

2. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Yes, Stephen and Lane (Greenbaggins) are linking up to drive over here so if you need a ride from the hotel, they are meeting up at the entrance to the exhibit hall, which doesn't open till Monday PM I think.

3. HaigLaw

HaigLaw Puritan Board Sophomore

I lived in Dallas from '73 to '83 and we visit often as a son lives there now, and as interesting as it may be, i've never considered that neighborhood all that safe, except during state fair time when a lot of people are there.

yes, i'll be at GA next week, on the B&O committee, a lot of the time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  4. Richard King

Richard King Puritan Board Senior

Well I actually can't make it.
    But our church will be represented well.
    My pastor will be there. He is almost painfully shy or at least studiously quiet except when he preaches.
    He came here all the way from Philly and Texas or Texans sort of have to grow on you.

I was thinking of having tons of people come up to him and greet him all week long just as a prank.
    You know, stuff like "aren't you the Jim Angehr from Lubbock that I have heard so much about online?" or "do they really call you Jim "righteous" Angehr in West Texas?"

But maybe I shouldn't.
    At any rate he is a really interesting great guy. yall should meet him.
    Though he looks like a really young version of Barbie's friend Ken (the doll) but he is one wise dude.
    Plays blues harp, knows more than you could imagine about American music, especially Springsteen . I was thinking of suggesting Deep Ellum for some good blues if he gets free time but I am rethinking that also.

5. doctorcello

doctorcello Puritan Board Freshman

Someone from Tennessee

Yup, I will be there, and am looking forward to seeing the old faces again. That's the best part of GA. I'll be flying in on Tuesday afternoon, and hunting for a Shuttle ticket or taxi.

6. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

PCA...PCA...Oh, yeah. Ain't that that Presbyterian denomination which is sort of an OPC :cool: wannabe? (heh, heh)

<runs away quickly...>

7. AVT

AVT Puritan Board Freshman

Does anyone know whether there will be any audio or video of the Overtures committee we access (like there is a webcast of the rest of General Assembly)?

8. doctorcello

doctorcello Puritan Board Freshman

Highly unlikely

I suspect that a video cast of the overtures committee is VERRRRRRYYYYYY UNLIKELY!!:lol:

9. AVT

Some of us are curious as to what has transpired during the pre assembly meeting of our Overtures committee today! Any news?

The General Assembly will be web cast live beginning Tuesday at 7:30pm:
    PCA General Assembly WebCast

10. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

I have heard it has gone very well and expeditiously under Fred Greco's chairmanship; they will be handling the deaconness overtures today.

11. AVT

I saw on the web cast that a "minority report" was announced by the Overtures Committee, without further information.

Anyone know anything about what is transpiring?

12. HaigLaw

Yes. Fred acquitted himself honorably and capably. I was on the Overtures Committee with him. He announced something toward the end that we were not to talk publicly about the results prior to the floor report, in the interests of not spreading rumors, and I hope to honor the spirit of that, but I would like to tell a story about something not of substance, which I found amusing and moving, about Fred.

As we were about to adjourn, after Fred had warned us about no outbursts, and had been very strict about things out of order, to both sides of every issue, a member rose to move a resolution of thanks for his leadership of the committee. The committee erupted in total disorder, with a standing ovation. For the only time I can recall, Fred was totally out of control of the committee. And the only time I know ever of Fred, he was speechless. It was a deeply moving moment.

Then, in comic relief, the movant said -- of course, it should be remembered that all three times your rulings were appealed, you got overruled all 3 times.

I must add that I dont recall that as quite true -- he was overruled by the committee only 2 of the 3 times his rulings were appealed.

I write from the floor of the GA. The report of the committee, including the majority report on women deacons and the minority report, should be made sometime today. Stay tuned. Im told that reports are going on the PCA webpage as soon as they are made on the floor.

:detective:

13. HaigLaw

It has just been announced by the moderator that we will take a 10 minute break, at 11:23 am, CDT, and following that will be the report of the Overtures Committee.

Stay tuned.

:detective:

14. HaigLaw

Fred has started his report for the Overtures Committee.

15. tcalbrecht

tcalbrecht Puritan Board Junior

Has anyone found the reports online? The moderator said they were available on the web site.

16. HaigLaw

Overture #1 recommended to be answered in the negative.

17. HaigLaw

Overture #2 to add the Apostles Creed to the membership vows, recommended in the negative. Overture #1 adopted by the GA in the negative.

18. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

Fyi

19. HaigLaw

Overture #3 offered in the negative, with reference to prior ones.

#2 passed in negative.

20. HaigLaw

#3 passed in negative.

#4 to make professions of faith mandatory, offered in affirmative.

21. HaigLaw

Vote on #4 as proposed passed.

22. HaigLaw

Overture #6 re investigations of TE, be answered in negative recommended.

23. HaigLaw

There is discussion of Overture #6, about possibly answering this in the affirmative.

24. HaigLaw

An elder is arguing that a TE who is in marital difficulty should be able to be suspended pending investigation, before any finding of guilt.

25. HaigLaw

#6 answered in negative, passed.

26. HaigLaw

Overture #7 recommended in the negative.

27. HaigLaw

#7 passed in negative.

28. HaigLaw

Overture #8, a tribute, offered in affirmative.

received unanimously.

29. HaigLaw

Next item, was to strike from the minutes the rationale from Overture #9, as it discusses a pending judicial case.

30. HaigLaw

Dr. Morton Smith asked how this would be handled in the minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.