PCA General Assembly in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
Anyone from this board going to be there next week?

Also on a nearly unrelated note, can any of you Dallas types tell me if Deep Ellum is safe or interesting anymore. I heard it had fizzled.

Yes, Stephen and Lane (Greenbaggins) are linking up to drive over here so if you need a ride from the hotel, they are meeting up at the entrance to the exhibit hall, which doesn't open till Monday PM I think.

I lived in Dallas from '73 to '83 and we visit often as a son lives there now, and as interesting as it may be, i've never considered that neighborhood all that safe, except during state fair time when a lot of people are there.

yes, i'll be at GA next week, on the B&O committee, a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Well I actually can't make it.
But our church will be represented well.
My pastor will be there. He is almost painfully shy or at least studiously quiet except when he preaches.
He came here all the way from Philly and Texas or Texans sort of have to grow on you.

I was thinking of having tons of people come up to him and greet him all week long just as a prank.
You know, stuff like "aren't you the Jim Angehr from Lubbock that I have heard so much about online?" or "do they really call you Jim "righteous" Angehr in West Texas?"

But maybe I shouldn't.
At any rate he is a really interesting great guy. yall should meet him.
Though he looks like a really young version of Barbie's friend Ken (the doll) but he is one wise dude.
Plays blues harp, knows more than you could imagine about American music, especially Springsteen . I was thinking of suggesting Deep Ellum for some good blues if he gets free time but I am rethinking that also.

Someone from Tennessee

Yup, I will be there, and am looking forward to seeing the old faces again. That's the best part of GA. I'll be flying in on Tuesday afternoon, and hunting for a Shuttle ticket or taxi.

PCA...PCA...Oh, yeah. Ain't that that Presbyterian denomination which is sort of an OPC :cool: wannabe? (heh, heh)

<runs away quickly...>

Does anyone know whether there will be any audio or video of the Overtures committee we access (like there is a webcast of the rest of General Assembly)?

Highly unlikely

I suspect that a video cast of the overtures committee is VERRRRRRYYYYYY UNLIKELY!!:lol:

Some of us are curious as to what has transpired during the pre assembly meeting of our Overtures committee today! Any news?

The General Assembly will be web cast live beginning Tuesday at 7:30pm:
PCA General Assembly WebCast

Some of us are curious as to what has transpired during the pre assembly meeting of our Overtures committee today! Any news?

I have heard it has gone very well and expeditiously under Fred Greco's chairmanship; they will be handling the deaconness overtures today.

I saw on the web cast that a "minority report" was announced by the Overtures Committee, without further information.

Anyone know anything about what is transpiring?

I have heard it has gone very well and expeditiously under Fred Greco's chairmanship; they will be handling the deaconness overtures today.

Yes. Fred acquitted himself honorably and capably. I was on the Overtures Committee with him. He announced something toward the end that we were not to talk publicly about the results prior to the floor report, in the interests of not spreading rumors, and I hope to honor the spirit of that, but I would like to tell a story about something not of substance, which I found amusing and moving, about Fred.

As we were about to adjourn, after Fred had warned us about no outbursts, and had been very strict about things out of order, to both sides of every issue, a member rose to move a resolution of thanks for his leadership of the committee. The committee erupted in total disorder, with a standing ovation. For the only time I can recall, Fred was totally out of control of the committee. And the only time I know ever of Fred, he was speechless. It was a deeply moving moment.

Then, in comic relief, the movant said -- of course, it should be remembered that all three times your rulings were appealed, you got overruled all 3 times.

I must add that I dont recall that as quite true -- he was overruled by the committee only 2 of the 3 times his rulings were appealed.

I write from the floor of the GA. The report of the committee, including the majority report on women deacons and the minority report, should be made sometime today. Stay tuned. Im told that reports are going on the PCA webpage as soon as they are made on the floor.

:detective:

It has just been announced by the moderator that we will take a 10 minute break, at 11:23 am, CDT, and following that will be the report of the Overtures Committee.

Stay tuned.

:detective:

Overture #2 to add the Apostles Creed to the membership vows, recommended in the negative. Overture #1 adopted by the GA in the negative.

Fyi
Overture 1 From Southeast Alabama Presbytery (to Ccb And Oc)
“amend Bco 6-1, 6-4, And 6-5 To Define Methods By Which People Are Received Into Or
Dismissed From The Church”

Overture 2 From Southeast Alabama Presbytery (to Ccb And Oc)
“amend Bco 38-3a, Add A New 46-5, Add A New 46-6, And Move Bco 57-6 To Bco 46-6
To Specify Transfers To Church Membership.
[note: The Suggested Two Paragraphs Could Become 46-5a And B Or Present 46-6, 7, 8 Would
Need To Be Re-numbered

Overture 3 From Southeast Alabama Presbytery (to Ccb And Oc)
“amend Bco 57-5 To Require Affirmation Of The Apostles Creed For Membership”

Overture 4 From Blue Ridge Presbytery (to Ccb And Oc)
“amend Bco 57-5 To Make Profession Of Faith Declarations Mandatory”

Overture 5 From Northwest Georgia Presbytery (to Mna)
“include Fanning And Gilmer Counties In Northwest Georgia Presbytery”

Overture 6 From Missouri Presbytery (to Ccb And Oc)
“amend Bco 31-2 Regarding Investigative Procedures Of A Teaching Elder”

Overture 7 From Missouri Presbytery (to Ccb And Oc)
“amend Bco 15-3 Regarding Judicial Investigations”

Overture 8 From Rocky Mountain Presbytery (to Oc)
“tribute To Te William B. Leonard, Jr.”

Overture 9 From Philadelphia Presbytery (to Ccb And Oc)
“erect Study Committee On Deaconesses”

Overture 10 From Tennessee Valley Presbytery (to Mna)
“revise Tennessee Valley Presbytery Boundaries”

Overture 11 From The Presbytery Of The Ascension (to Mtw, Rum., Mna, And Ccb)
“sending Reformed Military Evangelists To U.s. Oversees Military Communities”

Overture 12 From Evangel Presbytery (to Mna)
“divide Evangel Presbytery And Form Additional Presbytery”

Overture 13 From Potomac Presbytery (to Ccb And Oc)
“revise Rao 14-6 K.; 14-9 G.; 15-8 E.; 14-9 E.; 15-8 C.”

Overture 14 From Potomac Presbytery (to Ac, Ccb And Oc)
“form Ad Interim Committee To Revise Rao”

Overture 15 From Western Canada Presbytery (to Ac And Oc)
“form Study Committee On Issue Of Deaconesses”

Overture 16 From Piedmont Triad Presbytery (to Mna)
“revise Boundary Of Piedmont Triad Presbytery”

Overture 17 From Rocky Mountain Presbytery (to Oc)
“expand Scope Of Proposed Committee On Deaconesses”

Overture 18 From Western Carolina Presbytery (to Mna)
“revise Boundaries Of Western Carolina Presbytery”

Overture 19 From Central Georgia Presbytery (to Oc) “decline To Elect Study Committee On Deaconesses”

Overture #3 offered in the negative, with reference to prior ones.

#2 passed in negative.

#3 passed in negative.

#4 to make professions of faith mandatory, offered in affirmative.

An elder is arguing that a TE who is in marital difficulty should be able to be suspended pending investigation, before any finding of guilt.

Next item, was to strike from the minutes the rationale from Overture #9, as it discusses a pending judicial case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back