My daughter Taylor's last concert...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindaboo

Puritan Board Graduate
[video=youtube;caM1fZErVVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caM1fZErVVU[/video]

[video=youtube;-ssWMxmaUBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssWMxmaUBo[/video]

[video=youtube;s-oMCo3QHs4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-oMCo3QHs4[/video]

Our daughter Taylor plays in the Shenandoah Valley Chamber Orchestra and I found these videos on a friend's Facebook page. Just thought I would share. The music is beautiful. Enjoy!

Nice. Thank you for sharing them. What does she play?

Taylor plays viola. She started on voilin at six, that wasn't going well, so we switched her to viola at age ten. She has been playing in total for about eleven years.

Thank you for sharing

This is just great, Thank you so much for sharing, brought a big smile to my face...see...:D

Outstanding! What a blessing to have such a talent in your home!

Thank you! It is certainly a joy and a blessing. The conductor, who is also my daughter's teacher is a sweet godly woman and that makes our orchestra even more special.

Thanks for sharing. We spent a lot of time in the string community in our area while my daughters played cello (and later my older daughter double bass). They've moved on to other instruments, but I still miss their concerts.

Very nice. Does your daughter have aspirations of continuing her music as a career? (Granted she is playing in an orchestra, but I don't know if the Shenandoah Valley Chamber Orchestra is large enough to be "full time.")

Very nice. Does your daughter have aspirations of continuing her music as a career? (Granted she is playing in an orchestra, but I don't know if the Shenandoah Valley Chamber Orchestra is large enough to be "full time.")

She did, but I don't think that is where the Lord is leading her. If she does anything she is considering becoming trained in the Suzuki Method and becoming a private teacher. She really wants to be a stay at home mom, so whatever she pursues will be something that she can do from home to supplement her husbands income if needed. Taylor will play with this orchestra for the next two years, as long as she is high school. This orchestra is some middle school aged kids, but mainly high school kids. She can audition for the college orchestra, but right now playing in two orchestras is quite enough.

Thanks for sharing. We spent a lot of time in the string community in our area while my daughters played cello (and later my older daughter double bass). They've moved on to other instruments, but I still miss their concerts.

My ten year old plays cello and my nine year old plays violin. Leah, the ten year old has been playing for about 3 years and is in the youth orchestra. Julia, the nine year old, has been playing almost five years. She plays in the orchestra too. I still have a lot of years ahead of me with this, but I love it. It has been a wonderful experience for all of us. I will miss these days when they are over. Do your daughters' still play? I don't really care if they pursue music beyond high school, but I do hope they will always play.

My ten year old plays cello and my nine year old plays violin. Leah, the ten year old has been playing for about 3 years and is in the youth orchestra. Julia, the nine year old, has been playing almost five years. She plays in the orchestra too. I still have a lot of years ahead of me with this, but I love it. It has been a wonderful experience for all of us. I will miss these days when they are over. Do your daughters' still play? I don't really care if they pursue music beyond high school, but I do hope they will always play.

My youngest (9) is taking piano from me. She really didn't enjoy the cello much. My older daughter (14) played cello for 7 years, and double bass for 1 1/2 years. She was in orchestra for 3 years. She hit the point where she had to decide to get really serious about it or do it as a hobby. There are no "relaxed" orchestras around here. The high school orchestra are strictly for students who are heading for a musical career. The music is difficult, and it requires 1-2 hours outside practice per day (not counting the time required to prepare for private lessons) just to keep up. She wasn't ready to make that kind of commitment. She plays electric bass, a little piano and picks up my cello from time to time. Her main thing is singing and running sound. Her Suzuki training gave her a great ear for that.

The high school orchestra are strictly for students who are heading for a musical career. The music is difficult, and it requires 1-2 hours outside practice per day (not counting the time required to prepare for private lessons) just to keep up. She wasn't ready to make that kind of commitment. She plays electric bass, a little piano and picks up my cello from time to time. Her main thing is singing and running sound. Her Suzuki training gave her a great ear for that.

Our conductor is pretty laid back and most of the kids do go into music of some sort. They hold auditions, but it isn't a cut throat environment. They all really cheer one another on. My kids spend an hour or two on orchestra and then another half an hour to an hour preparing for the private lesson. We spend up to four hours some days on music. We love it and the kids enjoy it. If they didn't it wouldn't be worth the time we spend. Our kids all started in the lower level orchestra and I think that helps. I think it gives them a good idea of what to expect in the Chamber Orchestra.

Taylor and Leah aren't quite as serious as the nine year old. I can easily see the nine year old going on to try to make a career out of it. She has a real drive and love for her instrument. Did you play cello? If so, for how long?

I've been an amateur cellist for about 11 years now. I took for a few years in elementary school, and then again for a couple of years in college. It wasn't until I got married that I picked it up again. Though I am a pianist (that was the instrument I studied in college), I have always loved the cello a bit more. I wish I had a couple of hours a day to practice my cello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back