Favorite Rock Concert You've Attended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'd go with Stryper,I just saw them and it was great!

But going back a bit-Stevie Ray Vaughn many times-Jaw dropping and memorable.

My favorites -

Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Scaterd Few
Saviour Machine
Vengeance Rising
Bride

Nice!

- Would've loved to see Deep Purple back in the day... before I was born.
- Seen Iron Maiden a few times. Never disappointed.
- Black Sabbath. Only once. Best show ever.
- Scaterd Few. Never heard of these guys.
- Saviour Machine. I like them. Never seen them, though. I think the song I liked was called "Behold A Pale Horse". Really cool.
- Vengeance Rising. I heard a song or two by them. Didn't like the growling. Didn't the singer end up becoming a satanist?
- Bride. I think I would've liked to have seen these guys. I totally like the tune "Everybody Knows My Name".

Thanks for sharing.

Scaterd Few - Underground Christian band from the 80's and 90's. Their album "Sin Disease" is excellent (and hard to find).
Vengeance Rising - You're right. The singer now calls himself a "Satanic Atheist". Very sad story.

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

My favorites -

Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Scaterd Few
Saviour Machine
Vengeance Rising
Bride

The LOUDEST show I ever attended was Deep Purple 02/12/85 in St. Louis. It was the Perfect Strangers tour. What a show!!!

Deep Purple
Live in St'Louis, USA (1985' 02' 12')

44 kHz, stereo, 128 kbps.

Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Lord, Paice
1. Highway Star
2. Nobody's Home
3. Strange Kind Of Woman
4. A Gypsy's Kiss
5. Perfect Strangers
6. Under The Gun
7. Child In Time
8. Knocking At Your Back
9. Difficult To Cure
10. Space Truckin'
11. Woman From Tokyo
12. Speed King
13. Smoke On The Water
14. Lazy
15. Smoke On The Water

I would love to have seen that show.That was the year I got into them. Perfect Strangers was my first DP album. I worked my way backward from there. Their last few albums with Steve Morse on guitar have been really good.

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

My favorites -

Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Scaterd Few
Saviour Machine
Vengeance Rising
Bride

Scatered Few is a great band.

They're great guys too. I just spent a night hanging out with three of the original members about a year ago. They played an acoustic set at my friends wine bar.

Been to lot's of concerts but the best was Roy Orbison this was in the late 1980 I think. His voice was incredible.

Been to lot's of concerts but the best was Roy Orbison this was in the late 1980 I think. His voice was incredible.
You know, I've seen plenty of folks over the years try to cover Roy Orbison songs and every time I just think to myself: "Man, just don't go there". Roy had a combination of range and emotion in his songs that is just not easily duplicated.

Many concerts, many lost in the haze, but my favorite is whenever my 3 daughters play violin, viola, and cello with the Shenandoah University Youth Orchestra. Rock-n-roll takes up far too much of my available memory. If only I had devoted that drive space to the scriptures.

If you haven't had the chance to go see Trans Siberian Orchestra, I have to highly encourage all to do so. It is great and they tour every winter with a great Christmas show. I saw them about 3 years ago and I want to go again.

I also saw America in Little Rock in about 87 or 88, one of the best concerts I've ever seen and it was free.

The Who in August 1997 at the VA beach amphitheater. They did Quadrophenia.

Second best was Rush back in 1982 on the Moving Pictures tour at the Roanoke Civic center.

Eagles "Hotel California" tour, Comiskey Park, Chicago. Joe Walsh was smoking-- figuratively and literally.

Many concerts, many lost in the haze, but my favorite is whenever my 3 daughters play violin, viola, and cello with the Shenandoah University Youth Orchestra.

I would agree with you on that.

I would also add Third Day, they put on an excellent show and I loved every minute of it. I have seen them twice and both times were equally as good.

Okay, you guys can laugh at me for this one, but Michael Bolton puts on an excellent show too. I also loved Hootie and the Blowfish. I would love to go see Darius Rucker now that he is out on his own. I know you guys said "rock", but I am not really that kind of girl.

I don't really have any favorite....but these are the ones that I've attended:

Three Dog Night
Bread
Chicago (twice)
Sha Na Na (just because I wanted something to do that night)
John Mellencamp
Dave Matthews (twice, two nights in a row. I was working Alpine Valley)
Phish (again, working Alpine Valley. I think if I had been in my teens this concerts might have scared me for life)

Probably some others I'm forgetting. I don't like live concerts that much either and they haven't made much of an impression on me. I think if I attend concerts in the future they'll be of the classical music variety.

Sha Na Na (just because I wanted something to do that night

WOW! I saw them at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1980. I was ten and thought they were so cool. Thanks, that brought a smile to my face.

Sha Na Na (just because I wanted something to do that night

WOW! I saw them at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1980. I was ten and thought they were so cool. Thanks, that brought a smile to my face.

I saw them in 1974, I think. It was while I was attending Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. The university had what was called The Mississippi Valley Festival. There were probably at least 10,000 people there that night. That is where I saw Chicago the first time. There were about 20,000 people there that night.

I loved a Baron Cross Concert I went to. I also saw Mylon Lefevre in the 80's. Never saw the bands that I really wanted to. I would love to see the Pink Floyd doing 'The Wall' and Lynyrd Skynyrd doing Free Bird. But LS and Floyd are gone. I do own the S&M DVD set by Metallica. It is awesome.

Can't name just one. Some of my favorite shows were...

Overkill (I've seen them on every tour since 1991)
Nevermore
Flotsam & Jetsam
Souls At Zero
Black Sabbath (with Dio)
Death
Exodus
lots more

I'm going to see Megadeth, Testament, & Exodus on March 12th

Martin, I woulda loved to see Barren Cross back then. They had a really cool tune called King of Kings, I think.

Dan, seen Nevermore a few times, great stuff. Also seen F&J, Megadeth & Testament, all good. You really like your thrash. That's great, in my opinion. Can't say I'm a fan of Overkill or Exodus, though. I was sadly never able to get past the vocals.
Anyway, glad someone else out there likes the good stuff. :)

Very difficult question!

I think my favorite concert was a Wilco concert at Point State Park in downtown Pittsburgh, during an Arts Festival. It was outdoors, I was with my favorite person in the world in my favorite city listening to one of my favorite bands.

After that, probably a Bob Dylan/Paul Simon concert when I was in h.s. or a Bob Dylan/Phil Lesh concert in college.

I saw a couple awesome Derek Webb shows, too.

I saw the Boss and sneaked to the front row, where if I were tall enough he would have grabbed my hand! (I'm sure he sweat on me, which is gross, I know).

I also sneaked to the front row at a Tom Petty concert and got a guitar pick! And I sneaked to the front at a Rolling Stones concert, a Ben Folds concert, a Ben Harper concert, an Allman Brothers concert, and more, I'm sure. I'm seeing a pattern. Ooops.

Aerosmith put on the best show, hands down, but they aren't my favorite band so they don't win.

This may sound strange, but I pretty much gave up listening to most music. For most of my life unil I was about 25 I lived and breathed rock music, but realised it was an idol in my life, so with the Lord's help I gave it up. Threw out all my music collection, hundreds of albums which I couldn't even count, and took them to the dump/burned them. Music is a powerful tool, and unfortunately most of it dishonours God In my humble opinion. As a Christian it is not good for you to be soaking up the values of the world.... especially in music form, as it tends to repeat itself in your head long after you've stopped listening to it.

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Dan, seen Nevermore a few times, great stuff. Also seen F&J, Megadeth & Testament, all good. You really like your thrash. That's great, in my opinion. Can't say I'm a fan of Overkill or Exodus, though. I was sadly never able to get past the vocals.
Anyway, glad someone else out there likes the good stuff.

Alex,

Yes, I'm very much into old school thrash. Back in the day, I've also seen Forbidden, Death Angel, Sacred Reich, Vio-Lence, Defiance, D.R.I., S.O.D. and many more. I even have a scrapbook of old pics with some of those guys. There's even pics of me and the Overkill guys on their dvd "Wrecking Everything". I was very much like Bern says above and did have music as my idol. Thankfully, that's not the case anymore. I can still appreciate the music but I do not live and breathe thrash any longer.

I'm not sure if you would classify it as rock:

Huey Lewis and the News, Mud Island-Memphis 1984(?) Regrettably, I wasted a lot of time and money going to concerts when I was younger. For sheer entertainment this one topped them all. I've never seen an artist put the crowd into the palm of his hand so quickly.

Van Halen Diver Down was pretty good, too.

The most interesting rock concert I attended was at a private pier south of Mobile. I was asked by a one of my larger clients when I was in sales if I wanted to come over for 'some shrimp and music'. My wife and daughter were in Arizona, so with nothing better to do I went to the fellow's house. When I pulled up I noticed about fifty trucks and cars and heard music pumping from the river side of his house. When I turned the corner around his house what did I see? Foghat playing on his pier. .38 Special was next. Turns out he was buddies with them.

This may sound strange, but I pretty much gave up listening to most music. For most of my life unil I was about 25 I lived and breathed rock music, but realised it was an idol in my life, so with the Lord's help I gave it up. Threw out all my music collection, hundreds of albums which I couldn't even count, and took them to the dump/burned them. Music is a powerful tool, and unfortunately most of it dishonours God In my humble opinion. As a Christian it is not good for you to be soaking up the values of the world.... especially in music form, as it tends to repeat itself in your head long after you've stopped listening to it.

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I'd say going to a concert is an individual thing, something to be decided on the benefits of or lack thereof. However, I highly doubt that I'll ever go to a concert again, don't know for sure. As I said in my previous most in this thread, if I go to a concert it will probably be of a classical nature or maybe an opera, something that I believe to be edifying.

My favorites -

Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Scaterd Few
Saviour Machine
Vengeance Rising
Bride

The LOUDEST show I ever attended was Deep Purple 02/12/85 in St. Louis. It was the Perfect Strangers tour. What a show!!!

Deep Purple

44 kHz, stereo, 128 kbps.

Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Lord, Paice
1. Highway Star
2. Nobody's Home
3. Strange Kind Of Woman
4. A Gypsy's Kiss
5. Perfect Strangers
6. Under The Gun
7. Child In Time
8. Knocking At Your Back
9. Difficult To Cure
10. Space Truckin'
11. Woman From Tokyo
12. Speed King
13. Smoke On The Water
14. Lazy
15. Smoke On The Water

The LOUDEST one I was at was U2 in the old Philadelphia Vetran's Stadium. They had a group called The Disposable Disciples of Hiphopracy open for them. It was actually painful. This was the Zoo Station era.

I must be really strange. My favorites have to be Phil Keaggy (love his guitar). And all time is James Ward. Words from the Word, music that is wonderful.

Way back, I decided I didn't want total trash in my head, so I stopped listening to popular, and went after those that at least claimed Jesus as Lord. Some less pure in theology than others, but I got sick of all the adultery, immorality, and sickness that most rock bands sang. Sigh. I haven't been to a rock concert in probably 24 years.

The Doors, 1967
Jimi, 1967
Newport Pop Festival, 1968
Jesse Colin Young, 1970
CSNY, 1972
John Prine @ the Palomino, 1972

Many others during this time and since (Stones, Airplane, Dead, NRPS, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Canned Heat), but those early days were the best...

Kris

Does Carmen count? :D

Not unless you want to admit to liking opera ;)

I know you mean Carman, just messin' with 'ya!
Smalltown Poets
Newsong Festival in Leitchfield, KY (the band Newsong and Third Day!!)

Rich Mullins for best concert ever. in Louisville less than 2 years before he died. It was great!!! Second best concert was Michael Card at Southern Seminary several years ago. I love that brother, so insightful!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back