Muzzloader Season For Deer Opens Tomorrow in PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
And this is the beauty that will get me a Deer tomorrow...

Enfield.jpg

1853 Enfield

Go get 'em!

Our archery season opened on the 15th. I passed on a small buck at about 8 yards. I'm looking for a nice fat doe right now. We are getting a bit of rain today as a cold front passes. Should make for some fine stalking tomorrow.

What make of Enfield do you have? Mine's an Armisport. It is EXTREMELY accurate with original styled minne balls and 90 gr. of FFg fired with German caps.

I use a brass measuring tube. It is adjustable from 60 - 120 gr. I double checked it with an actual scale and it is on the money with FFg. It throws a tad heavy with FFFg. Another little tidbit is that I roll cartridges for my loads and use a cartridge box with tins. It is much easier and safer than using a horn/flask and loose bullets. Additionally, it protects the skirt of the minne ball and reloads are much faster. With practice you can get off four accurate rounds a minute fairly easily. Not that you would need that hunting. But, if you run into any Federal troops you will be ready!

Ben,

I will be hunting with my father on the first day of buck in PA. It will be the first time hunting in over 15 years. The city has gotten to me! I do look forward to getting back to my roots though.

God be with you Backwoods as you go on your trip. I like the federal troops comment. It's nice to hear that someone still knows why we have the second ammendment! My the LORD put a big fat deer in your sights. Nice gun, by the way.

Ah, I didn't know you were a re-enactor. It all comes together now.

Yep. 25th VA Co. A

Do you use Shooting Patches?

That would destroy the purpose of the minie ball. Are you familiar with them? They are conical with a hollow base. The hollow base forms a thin skirt. The base and groves are filled with grease. You can use Bore Butter, but a better grease is half tallow / half lard. Obviously the bullet is loaded with the base down against the powder charge. Upon ignition the rapid expansion of gases from the combustion of the powder causes the skirt on the base of the ball to expand. This engages the rifling of the barrel thus imparting the 'spin' to the bullet as it travels the barrel.

Minie_ball_design_harpers_ferry_burton.jpg

I've fired patched round balls from my Enfiled, but they were no were near as accurate as a properly loaded minie ball. I'm not sure what your barrel's turn ratio is. A patched ball like a turn of no less that 1 in 66 inches. More is better. Minie balls like to spin more quickly. Armisport has made them in both types quick and slow spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back