White Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an albino buck when I lived in Illinois. Definitely unexpected when you see one.

We have plenty of them in NJ.

Really? Over the years I've seen tens of thousands of deer in the western states here (Whitetails, Muleys, Blacktail, even Fallow), but I can only recall seeing one albino (Whitetail). Are they perhaps more common back east?

I think Rich may have visually inserted 'tail' after 'White'. White deer are pretty rare from everything I have read and seen. If they were common they wouldn't have special magic! ;)

We have a few albinos that run along Ft Dix and Pemberton Twp. I wouldn't say common, but there are several spotted on a regular basis ( or the hunters say there are, anyhow). I suspect that more deer are killed in traffic situations than by hunters in our densely populated state. My wife saw one about a mile from our house less than 2 years ago. Deer flourish around here because there are plenty of woods, and their only constant predators have headlights.

Last edited:
Nice, so after you bag it, put some tire tracks upon it and you're good to go?

I don't think that is the way it works. :think: The report I'm talking about is an accident report. They inspect your vehicle for damage, not the carcass for tire tracks. You only want clean kills ( broken neck from impact is best) anyhow. I didn't bring home my recent trophy because I didn't want the ticks crawling off of it inside the car.

Y'all should see some of the brush guards that folks put on their trucks around here. They have cross hairs on them. Seriously.

New Jersey really is an enigma. The first thing people think of when the hear "New Jersey" is the Turnpike and all the refineries in North Jersey. Few people realize how much wildlife thrives in the Garden State. Where Rich lives there is plenty of white tail deer and pheasant. In Western Jersey there is the deer and pheasant, but also turkey and black bear. In fact the black bear population in New Jersey has exploded. My cousin lives in Sparta and she has a bear that is a regular visitor. There was even a bear that had to be trapped within sight of the George Washington Bridge! Cool stuff.

My friend shot an albino whitetail when I was a teen. He tanned the hide & then gave it to me to keep when his wife wouldn't let him keep it in the house.

He lost the wife & as far as I know he still has the hide!

A friend of mine once shot a white deer, but it wasn't an albino. Its eyes were normal. It was an amazing animal. He shot it with a sinew backed bois d'arc bow that was covered with diamond back rattlesnake skins. The arrow was a cane arrow with a home made trade head fletches with turkey. Very cool.

New Jersey really is an enigma. The first thing people think of when the hear "New Jersey" is the Turnpike and all the refineries in North Jersey. Few people realize how much wildlife thrives in the Garden State. Where Rich lives there is plenty of white tail deer and pheasant. In Western Jersey there is the deer and pheasant, but also turkey and black bear. In fact the black bear population in New Jersey has exploded. My cousin lives in Sparta and she has a bear that is a regular visitor. There was even a bear that had to be trapped within sight of the George Washington Bridge! Cool stuff.

Near me, we also have a man made barrier....FT.Dix/McGuire AFB. There are miles of fence that keep them from leaving this area. The NJ Turnpike also creates a barrier where the fencing is up. The deer are boxed in and I guess that causes more inbreeding than most other areas. That may account for more albinos.

A friend of mine once shot a white deer, but it wasn't an albino.

I noticed that the guy in the video claims that after much "research" he discovered that even white deer with normal eyes (like the ones he studied in Wisconsin) are considered albino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back