World's largest Church Officially Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8565629/

Updated: 5:05 p.m. ET July 17, 2005
HOUSTON - America´s largest church celebrated its move into the former arena for the Houston Rockets with a capacity crowd of 16,000, an upbeat sermon from its televangelist pastor and a spirited welcome from the governor of Texas.

"œHow do you like our new home?" Lakewood Church pastor Joel Osteen asked to thunderous applause. "œIt looks pretty good doesn´t it? This is a dream come true."

The new home for the nondenominational Christian church is the former Compaq Center, once home to the Rockets.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were no vacant spots in the arena as Lakewood, which recently became the first church in the United States to average more than 30,000 worshippers weekly, held its first service there Saturday night. The service also was televised live.

"˜Nothing short of amazing´
Gov. Rick Perry praised the church´s new look and told the crowd, "œAs lawmakers we do a lot of things, but only the church can teach people to love.

"œThis is nothing short of amazing," Perry said. "œIt is so great to look across this crowd and see the wonderful diversity of this great state we call Texas."

It took more than 15 months and $75 million to complete the renovations "” which included adding five stories to make more room.

"œI couldn´t believe how beautiful it was," Osteen said afterward when asked to describe how he felt when he first entered what he called the "œTexas-sized" sanctuary. "œIt almost felt surreal."

From feed store to phenomenon
Video clips playing on three gigantic screens showcased the building and recounted the history of the church. One video recalled the church´s humble beginnings in an abandoned feed store in 1959 and traced Osteen´s rise to the pulpit after his father and church founder, John Osteen, died 40 years later.

Pat Sullivan / AP
Lakewood Church pastor Joel Osteen's congregation spent millions turning a sports arena into its new home.

Osteen took over the church in 1999 and has increased the size of the congregation almost five-fold since then. His book, "œYour Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living Your Full Potential" has sold almost 3 million copies.

The service was highlighted by a 25-minute sermon by Osteen, who told the crowd that he and his wife, Victoria, went on their first date in the arena 19 years ago.

The crowd roared with approval throughout the message and was often brought to its feet as Osteen spoke in front of a large golden-colored globe that rotated slowly.

Members of the choir swayed happily, belting out several different songs below pictures of a crisp blue sky with puffy white clouds.

While collection plates were passed, video messages from people around the world, including Pastor T.D. Jakes of the Potter´s House in Dallas, welcomed Lakewood to its new location.

"œIt is overwhelming, unbelievable, fantastic," Ann Bell, one of the church´s original members, said after the service. "œWords can´t even describe it."

Matthew 7:13-14

"Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Ugggh!

I think it would be very difficult for him to now fight the dangerous enemy of pride and not allow this situation to go to his head. I mean, after all, isn't the highest accolade that can be given in today's contemporary evangelicalism the title, "Pastor of the World's Largest Church!"?

Since its all about numbers these days, I guess we finally have "the official winner".

:(

I watched the opening service Sunday Night on TBN. Man, is dat church big. I wonder what their janitorial payroll is going to be like.

Originally posted by Slippery
I watched the opening service Sunday Night on TBN. Man, is dat church big. I wonder what their janitorial payroll is going to be like.

And the need for lots and lots of toliet paper. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back