How Many Bibles Do You Regularly Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a verse by verse Bible (ESV) for teaching, a Bible (ESV) just for reading devotionally, a ESV Psalter by my bed for reminder before bed, the NIV Life Application Study Bible, and NASB Amplified Bible. Any suggestions for others I should get? I get that there is a lot written here, but there is so many I see in the bookstore that just seem so meh...

The ones I use most:

ESV SB
Reformation SB (Ligonier)
ESV Literary SB
RHB KJV SB
NASB SB (same notes as the old NIV SB)
NIV Zondervan SB (Carson's)
Spirit of the Reformation SB (comes in NIV only)
The NET Bible (footnotes are usually insightful, though it follows NRSV on Isa 7.14)
HCSB SB
Apologetics SB (HCSB; use this one sometimes)

Maybes (i.e., if there's a good sale, and you've already got a good handle on the above vols):

NLT SB (I don't like the NLT but have heard recently that the notes are insightful)
CSB SB (not sure yet how much different these notes will be from its predecessor, the HCSB SB)

I'm hoping to pick up a copy of the new ESV Systematic Theology SB. Looks like it'll be helpful.

Last edited:
I have a verse by verse Bible (ESV) for teaching, a Bible (ESV) just for reading devotionally, a ESV Psalter by my bed for reminder before bed, the NIV Life Application Study Bible, and NASB Amplified Bible. Any suggestions for others I should get? I get that there is a lot written here, but there is so many I see in the bookstore that just seem so meh...
Since you ask...get a KJV and read God's Word in majestic language. The OT, especially the wisdom literature, read awesomely in KJV. Also Isaiah 40 to the end is incomparable.
Just my opinion....

Like some of the others, I can be embarrassed by the number of physical bibles I own, so I will refer to the physically bound bibles that I actually use.
I have a nice Cambridge leather-bound copy of the NKJV which I take to church. I have a similar copy of the ESV if the preacher will be preaching from that version. Both are black-letter editions. At home I have an ESV Readers Bible in which the verse numbers have been removed, also black letter. (I only purchase a red-letter bible when a black-letter option is not available.) I also have a Reformation Study Bible which is hard-bound. Study bibles I purchase as cloth-bound, and not leather-bound, for I am using them at home. Most of my study bibles I also have in electronic format on my computer.
Finally, though it is not a bound bible, I use a tablet on which I have installed bible software, which enables me to view the English and original language text at the same time. This I also carry to church or to other places.

I use an older Ligonier Reformation Study Bible (NKJV) bible. To that I have extracted, by careful use of a physical scalpel, all the Confessional sections of the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible (SOTR), the Biblical Cyclopedic Index from The Open Bible (separately available here), and a few smaller items from other bibles, all of which I have taped into my RSB. This is accompanied by the transfer by hand salient notes from the SOTR articles, and all its confessional cross-references.

Took me about three years to accomplish the above.

Perhaps in a few years someone will offer and electronic bible order system from which can be constructed from choices of other bibles that can be custom printed and bound. Until then, the only solution for me is to cobble together my own. (There is a business opportunity therein that I freely disclose to anyone. ;) )

One day I will figure out how to add The KJV Master Study Bible's 407-page topical concordance and 571-page Encyclopedia of Biblical Knowledge. Sigh.

but how many physical bibles?

I use one ESV print Bible one hour per week when I go to church.

Oh, I almost forgot to add that I use a Samsung tablet every morning for three hours. So if that counts then, that's a second Bible. :)

Question for you Reagan what is ESV Literary SB like?

It's a tool which helps one consider the various literary genres and aspects of the biblical text, and therefore an aid in interpretation which I (as a former English teacher) have found quite helpful. Here's more info.

The new Zondervan NIV SB (Carson's) is focused on gospel-centric biblical theology, and often gives exegetical explanations; the old NIV SB provides fairly basic notes. The NIV Spirit of the Reformation SB is a horse of a different stripe, having more in-depth study notes and articles than Sproul's ESV Reformation SB, and being keyed to the Reformed confessions throughout.

So, 3 rather different tools. If picking 2 NIV SB's, I'd say to get the SOTR and Carson's.
The SOTR has been out of print for awhile though, and just wished would have bought one years ago, but was not into reformed theology at all at that time. Also think that the Niv study bible also must have gotten an upgrade, as its now 2000+ pages also.

At lease a couple of years ago, the SOTR can be found in hardcover pretty cheaply at used book sellers, and I believe that Laridian will allow you to just purchase the notes for their bible app, unless something has changed. Don't have my iPad handy to check.

ETA: SOTR hardcovers presently available at Amazon resellers starting at $28.00, leather at $140.00.

ETA(2): The SOTR notes are available from Laridian for $15.00, but I think you need their native bible app. https://www.laridian.com/catalog/products/pcdsotr.asp

Last edited:
At lease a couple of years ago, the SOTR can be found in hardcover pretty cheaply at used book sellers, and I believe that Laridian will allow you to just purchase the notes for their bible app, unless something has changed. Don't have my iPad handy to check.

ETA: SOTR hardcovers presently available at Amazon resellers starting at $28.00, leather at $140.00.

ETA(2): The SOTR notes are available from Laridian for $15.00, but I think you need their native bible app. https://www.laridian.com/catalog/products/pcdsotr.asp
Thank you so much, as did look into getting a leather edition, but the prices i saw were more like 4-5 Hundred.
While on the Amazon page now, also did see the condensed Reformed study bible for only 39.99. so that would be a good pick also.

Last edited:
My old Scoffield KJV was my favorite bound Bible for its binding, font, and paper. But I got tired of drawing lines through all the notes. Besides Sessions look at you funny when they see you with it! I switched happily to a Sproul Reformation Bible in NKJV for awhile, but bought a really nice super expensive calf-skinned ESV to keep up with my Church - but I don't like the translation that much. I shelved my custom-bound BHS/SBL Hebrew - Greek Bible for a new Readers Greek and Hebrew Bible for when i am feeling academic-ish. Oh, and the calf-skinned Polyglot Bible with the most amazing leather binding on the planet is also great, but I love Hebrew too much to ditch it for an all-Greek Bible. The truth is all my leather-bound treasures are currently acting as dust removal devices while I am on my iPad Olive Tree app nearly 24x7. I am afraid I have completely gone digital without my realizing what was happening. I have the NKJV, NIV, KJV, Greek and Hebrew, the WCF, maps, and reference notes at the tip of my index finger. iPhones lead to iPads and that leads away from the leather - the ultimate slippery slope [no doubt the plot of Reformed Vegans]. I have been eyeing my cracked screen iPad wondering if i could put a leather binding on it just to keep up appearances. I may smear some gold leafing on the edges in the mean time. (You can toggle the red on and off for the words of Christ - how cool is that).

I think the reformed vegan has been taken out.

My old Scoffield KJV was my favorite bound Bible for its binding, font, and paper. But I got tired of drawing lines through all the notes. Besides Sessions look at you funny when they see you with it! I switched happily to a Sproul Reformation Bible in NKJV for awhile, but bought a really nice super expensive calf-skinned ESV to keep up with my Church - but I don't like the translation that much. I shelved my custom-bound BHS/SBL Hebrew - Greek Bible for a new Readers Greek and Hebrew Bible for when i am feeling academic-ish. Oh, and the calf-skinned Polyglot Bible with the most amazing leather binding on the planet is also great, but I love Hebrew too much to ditch it for an all-Greek Bible. The truth is all my leather-bound treasures are currently acting as dust removal devices while I am on my iPad Olive Tree app nearly 24x7. I am afraid I have completely gone digital without my realizing what was happening. I have the NKJV, NIV, KJV, Greek and Hebrew, the WCF, maps, and reference notes at the tip of my index finger. iPhones lead to iPads and that leads away from the leather - the ultimate slippery slope [no doubt the plot of Reformed Vegans]. I have been eyeing my cracked screen iPad wondering if i could put a leather binding on it just to keep up appearances. I may smear some gold leafing on the edges in the mean time. (You can toggle the red on and off for the words of Christ - how cool is that).

esv,esv study,KJV,NASB study, then a reformation study bible and a dr.mac study bible. wanting to get a copie of the Geneva soon

The SOTR has been out of print for awhile though, and just wished would have bought one years ago, but was not into reformed theology at all at that time. Also think that the Niv study bible also must have gotten an upgrade, as its now 2000+ pages also.
Given Pratt's connection, sooner or later the Third Mill folks will have the essence of the SOTR and more up electronically. The online version is undergoing development:
http://thirdmill.org/studybible/

The SOTR notes are still accessible via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150207032241/http://thirdmill.org:80/studybible/

While I am at it, David, you (and others) might find the following useful now and then:
http://thirdmill.org/answers/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back