How Many Bibles Do You Regularly Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian R.

Puritan Board Freshman
I don't mean how many translations, but how many physical bibles? I'm juggling 3 or 4 right now, and I wonder if I'm unusual and maybe even a bit covetous when it comes to high end, well-made bibles.

Curious to hear from any of you. Thanks.

One on my desk, usually consulted several times a day.
One study Bible within easy reach for when I want to read a note.
One at the dinner table for family devotions.
One in my briefcase for when I'm out.
Two in my box of Sunday school supplies, different translations for when I'm teaching.
One on my phone.
A fancy one for rare occasions when I want a Bible that looks more Bible-like.
And a bunch of other translations, not regularly used, on my shelves for reference.

So I think that makes 8 that I actually "juggle" depending on where I am and the occasion. I am rich!

I am also unusual, in that my work right now consists largely of editing Bible studies, so consulting the Bible is my job.

I use about 6: two pulpit Bibles, one small ESV for visitation, one HCSB and one CSB for daily reading, and my ESV study Bible for notes.

I don't mean how many translations, but how many physical bibles? I'm juggling 3 or 4 right now, and I wonder if I'm unusual and maybe even a bit covetous when it comes to high end, well-made bibles.

Main bibles I use are the Esv single column one, esv Study Bible, and yes, my Ryrie Study in Nas, as that was my first leather bound one.

Just two AV’s in 50+years. It was sad to leave the first one go ,as it had badly deteriorated through use and had a lot of notes. Unable to decide what I could do with it, I remembered the Jews buried their scriptures, so it’s at the bottom of the garden somewhere near my children’s deceased pet rabbit!

In my case too many to list, and I too have felt that covetousness may be involved. I can say the same for the theological library I've put together.

Well, I have my NASB that I re-covered, a slender ESV for traveling, a KJV to sometimes read to the kids because I want them to know the language, and a Reformation study Bible I sometimes consult.

Brian, it's an important question you're asking; but at the end of the day it's a pretty grey area. Maybe you could start by asking your wife as she would know you the best. I understand where you are coming from. I used to not get the high end bible thing but over the last year or two have found myself struggling in similar ways.

I'm still searching for the right bible. Some I have the margins are too narrow, others can be too bulky to travel with, etc. Whenever I buy a new one I feel like I have to go through the loops to convince my wife. She is the type that will use one bible until it falls apart.

I use three pretty regularly. A thin reference CSB with goatskin. A TNIV reference with renaissance leather and a Reformation Study Bible ESV in brown imitation. I usually have all three not too far from me.

And I understand and resemble the covetous remark. I have more than I need and should unload some and not purchase more.

Two physical ones:

twobibles-1.jpg

The top one is Hebrew and Greek that I had bound in leather years ago.

The bottom one is a KJV from Local Church Publishing. I've had it for many years--it's leather bound and very sturdy. I think I paid $40 for it and this item is still under $50. I've never seen anything similar to it in price in other translations.

I use other non-physical bibles regularly: Bibleworks and eSword on my computer, a Kindle KJV, ESV, and NKJV version on my phone, etc.

By the bed, by the couch, by the exercise bike, in the bathroom, in the car. Plus a few on the shelf. And I just got a waterproof NT for vacation. Hub has his own stash inc Greek, Hebrew, and electronics.

If we have a revival you will be glad to have extras. You can't count on stores or the internet in some sort of huge crisis. Now I am thinking maybe I will go to Ollie's and get more. So thanks OP.

tried almost all premium KJVs but the windsor to me is the best. Comfortable text which leads to more bible reading and that is all that matters. Longprimer and Concord comes close

RHB study Bible on my desk; KJV (words of Christ NOT in red) for family and churchgoing use; Reina-Valera 1960 Spanish Bible for translating; tiny pocket KJV for travel, that I've had for almost 25 years. None are high-end externally, but I'm rather more interested in the content.

I think I'm probably pickier than most others are when it comes to Bibles.

Over the past decade I've tried many in an attempt to get that "one Bible" that I can use for most if not all purposes. To this point, it hasn't worked, in part due to the fact that the churches we've gone to tend to use a different translation than what I'm trying to use at the moment. And readability is another. For me it has to be black letter with relatively bold print and good paper.

The NKJV was my main version until about 10 years ago when I suddenly couldn't read red letters for long periods anymore. And affordable editions in black letter are almost non-existent. I haven't used the NKJV regularly in so long now that I don't know that I'd switch back if suddenly they did start making editions more to my liking. As with the NASB, it also seems that a lot of people who used to use the NKJV switched to the ESV at some point.

I've juggled several AV's in the past several years, including the Windsor, Westminster, (which I've never been able to warm to even though I'd like to use it regularly) RHB Study Bible and Cambridge and TBS Concords. I haven't settled on one in particular. I really like the Concord, but I also like the Windsor. The RHB is a little too large to carry around to church, etc. although I can appreciate their efforts at trying to keep it from being really large. I'm sure some would disagree, but for years I've been in the habit of carrying something more the size of a Concord or Windsor. Anything much bigger than a Westminster is "too big" in my opinion unless it is going to simply be used at the desk or table.

A hardcover NASB Side-column reference has been a standby for a number of years. It is an older printing that has much better paper than what they've used in recent years.

I might get a Spurgeon Study Bible. It looks pretty good as a devotional tool, but the print is nice and large also. I have a CSB "Large Print" Ultrathin but the print is either too faint or too small for me to use on a regular basis. I only bought it because it is black letter, which surprised me. (Holman has tended to be like Nelson in assuming that everyone wants red letter.) The KJVs mentioned above are easier for me to read even though technically the print is smaller in some of them.

I was an early adopter of the ESV ca 2002 but got away from it by about 2005 for various reasons. I've tried different ESVs in recent years, including the Legacy, the Large Print and the Large Print Thinline. I like the fact that Crossway realizes that not everyone wants red letter, but I've either had problems with the text blocks or the paper, so something that looks like it would be ideal ends up not working out. (For example, I find that the Legacy text block is too wide for me to read comfortably. I'd prefer a text block that is more like a regular book.) I'm not sure that I'd really consider the ESV but that's what most of the churches seem to use these days. I may know of more pastors who preach from the KJV than the NASB now, which wouldn't have been the case 20 years ago before many of the NASB folks switched to the ESV.

I have three I use. An ESV journaling Bible for writing notes in (that's all I do with it so that it will last a long time and I get to keep my notes), the Reformation Bible Sproul to be able to look up things I have questions about, then my newest Bible I got which is a $280 Bible that I was able to get for $135. It's single column which I love made out of goat skin and has four book markers(!). I really love holding it....super soft and the leather smell is so awesome lol.

I have several study Bibles that I consult while preparing sermons and general Bible study, however I prefer a Bible without notes for preaching. I have several that I use for preaching, and will alternate based on where the passage at hand lies on the page. I realize this sounds odd, but I prefer to have my entire passage on the same page if possible.

Two physical ones:

twobibles-1.jpg

The top one is Hebrew and Greek that I had bound in leather years ago.

The bottom one is a KJV from Local Church Publishing. I've had it for many years--it's leather bound and very sturdy. I think I paid $40 for it and this item is still under $50. I've never seen anything similar to it in price in other translations.

I use other non-physical bibles regularly: Bibleworks and eSword on my computer, a Kindle KJV, ESV, and NKJV version on my phone, etc.
The Bibles done by LCP in Lansing Mi are all top notch, as they should cost hundreds of dollars.

RHB KJV SB on my desk; plus my Greek NT's and a Hebrew OT.
ESV SB and NIV Zondervan SB's on my standing desk.
Pulpit/EDC Bible is an ESV New Classic Reference.
Small ESV I use for visiting hospitals or doing graveside services.
About 25 other translations on the shelf in my Study for reference.
My Dad's old KJV and my childhood 1977 NASB on my bedside table.

I'm a little Bible-obsessed.

RHB KJV SB on my desk; plus my Greek NT's and a Hebrew OT.
ESV SB and NIV Zondervan SB's on my standing desk.
Pulpit/EDC Bible is an ESV New Classic Reference.
Small ESV I use for visiting hospitals or doing graveside services.
About 25 other translations on the shelf in my Study for reference.
My Dad's old KJV and my childhood 1977 NASB on my bedside table.

I'm a little Bible-obsessed.
Is that Zondervan one the edition by DA Carson?

I have the old NIV SB edited by Kenneth Barker that I bought in 1986, and the new one (2011 text) edited by D.A. Carson. The 'new' one weighs 5 pounds and is over 2" thick. I also have the electronic edition through Olive Tree Bible on my phone, and use that more than the hard copy. On sale right now 63% off .
https://www.olivetree.com/store/product.php?productid=26449
Do you find a big difference between the 2 Niv study bibles?

I have a dozen or so Bibles on my desk. Out of the ones listed below I consult or read from about eight of them at least once a week. In addition to the physical Bibles below I also consult BibleGateway for various other translations and study from Sword Searcher 8.

1 - Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible (use at my desk)
1 - KJV Thompson Chain Reference Bible (use at my desk)
1 - KJV "Turquise" by Church Bible Publishers (use at my desk)
1 - Schuyler Westminster KJV (use at my desk)
1 - RL Allan Ruby KJV (carry around; dinner reading; kids memory verse work)
1 - RL Allan KJV Brevier Clarendon (carry around)
1 - TBS Large Print KJV (seldom use it)
1 - RL Allan 2011 NIV Proclamation Edition (use with reading plan; highlighting)
1 - Cambridge 2011 NIV Clarion (love the paragraph format; carry around)
1 - Cambridge 2011 NIV Pitt Minion (devotional use with Table Talk; carry)
1 - Schuyler NLT Caxton (occasional use with kids or for casual reading)
1 - RL Allan ESV Classic (very rarely use the ESV nowadays; wife likes it)

Yes, the new edition is more comprehensive in terms of the study notes, and the additional study materials/features included. I've been looking for my '84 NIV SB and I can't find it, but the new one is larger in size, though the old one was a handful by itself.

I have a verse by verse Bible (ESV) for teaching, a Bible (ESV) just for reading devotionally, a ESV Psalter by my bed for reminder before bed, the NIV Life Application Study Bible, and NASB Amplified Bible. Any suggestions for others I should get? I get that there is a lot written here, but there is so many I see in the bookstore that just seem so meh...

David, found the '84 NIV SB. Weighs 3 pounds compared with the new one @ 5 pounds. It is 1 3/4" thick compared to the new @ 2 1/2". They are both about 9x6 text blocks, but the new one has 2,879 pages compared to 1,928 for the old edition. Obviously much more content and more detailed notes.

The new Zondervan NIV SB (Carson's) is focused on gospel-centric biblical theology, and often gives exegetical explanations; the old NIV SB provides fairly basic notes. The NIV Spirit of the Reformation SB is a horse of a different stripe, having more in-depth study notes and articles than Sproul's ESV Reformation SB, and being keyed to the Reformed confessions throughout.

So, 3 rather different tools. If picking 2 NIV SB's, I'd say to get the SOTR and Carson's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back