What types of Bibles do you use for daily Bible-reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheThirdandReformedAdam

Puritan Board Freshman
As I begin the new year planning to read through my Bible, I wonder how everyone on the board discerns what type of Bible to use for this. I am not so concerned with determining what translation I will read, but rather I find it difficult to determine whether I should (a) use my Crossway reader's-Bible and enjoy my four chapters, (b) use my Reformation Study Bible and take time to look over the study notes provided, or (c) use my Crossway Journaling Bible to promote critical thinking during my reading. What does everyone else choose between traditional/study/journaling Bibles for their daily Bible-reading?

That is the neat thing about Christianity: the Lord gives us freedoms to use various techniques. I tend to change it up often - really whatever I desire at that point in life. I change between audio bible, study bibles, reading slow with Matthew Henry, bulk reading, meditating on one verse, etc. I enjoy the freedom of picking and choosing.

I have M'Cheyne on my Kindle so there is no flipping back and forth for me. Slick and simple.

Crossway Reader's Bible for myself; the lack of section headings and verse numbers really help me to give fuller attention to the text, and it's context.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mainly my KJV study bible or small Trinity version that I take to church. I also refer various NAS versions. Occasionally the NKJV.

Like Ryan, I mix it up. Sometimes I carry my CSB ultra trim large print reference Bible. Sometime my ESV Reformation Study Bible. Sometimes my Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible. I listen to audio in NKJV via the dramatized Word Of Promise or the dramatized TNIV Bible Experience. Other times Max McLean in NIV or ESV.

To try something new in 2018 (ordinarily I use Robert Murray Mcheyne's plan, or the annual TableTalk plan from Ligonier), I just started using the ESV daily devotional Bible (the study notes are taken from the Gospel Transformation Bible which was produced a few years back) by crossway. It's been fantastic so far! I also love using the KJV Reformation Heritage Study Bible.
img_6970.jpg

For my 2018 reading plan I decided to use the RL Allan NIV Proclamation Edition Bible I received for my anniversary last year. I use my Pentel Arts coloring pencil to highlight as I go.

For my casual reading I do after work I mix it up and grab whichever Bible fits the occasion best. If I'm in the living room in my reading chair I tend to prefer either my LCBP KJV basic reader, my RL Allan ESV PSR, or my Cambridge Clarion NIV. If I'm at my desk and I have time I'll use my Schuyler Westminster KJV with SwordSearcher open.

For our family worship I tend to use one of my NIVs with our young children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back