Help with job

Status
Not open for further replies.

josiahrussell

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm really perplexed and not sure what to do.
Long story short I'm currently working in construction as a casual labourer and start study next week. My hours are usual 7 to 4 each day which gives me time with my son and wife but my work can be unpredictable and I was told they had no work for me one day last week so my pay was quite I've been offered a new full time job with similar pay but I can finish work at 12! Which leaves me lots of time to study and spend time with my family The issue is the new job involves me pulling skin off dead animals for a living.
Essentially I'm looking for some general advice from the wisdom found on here as I also seek wisdom with close people I know.

I was a union ironworker, in the USA, for over 20 years. It was characterized by periods of feast, and periods of famine. On more than one occasion I had to leave my family and go out of state where the work was to earn a living. That for extended periods of time. Not to mention the inherent danger in construction work. While the 'pulling skin off of dead animals' seems like something that would take some getting used to, unless there is a Scriptural reason for deciding against it I would weigh the positive aspects.

The issue is the new job involves me pulling skin off dead animals for a living.

Just a thought-
What is the issue? It sounds like a good honest (clean) days work to me. Didn't you ever see Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs show? You can often make a lot of money doing things no one else wants to.

Just a thought-
What is the issue? It sounds like a good honest (clean) days work to me. Didn't you ever see Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs show? You can often make a lot of money doing things no one else wants to.

What job are you saying is clean?
I don't really mind what I do for work I just want to make the best decision as there isn't many places hiring where I live. People that I currently work with are very rough! As are the people at the slaughter house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a play on words. I meant "clean" in the moral sense.

Lol yeah I got that I just wasn't sure if you were referring to my current job or the new job offer but I think you alluded to the skinning job

Is handling dead animals something you think you can do? If so, what is the issue, other than it might turn you into a vegetarian.

(Are they kangaroos?)

Is handling dead animals something you think you can do? If so, what is the issue, other than it might turn you into a vegetarian.

(Are they kangaroos?)

Haha na not kangaroos, mainly cattle. I say I'm okay with it but I don't really know

Do you have any animals that you can do a test run on before you make your decision?

Seriously, though, I'd probably pick the animal skinning job if I were in your shoes.

Definitely one step to loosing my wife!

Well, how your wife feels about it does matter. I also wonder if the slaughterhouse job is more physically demanding and might open you up to repetitive-motion injuries. I don't know, just wondering.

Well, how your wife feels about it does matter. I also wonder if the slaughterhouse job is more physically demanding and might open you up to repetitive-motion injuries. I don't know, just wondering.

I don't think so. It will be very repetitive but I don't think it would lead to injuries

Jack, I think our brother's reference to losing his wife was in response to my idea about doing a test run on his own animals.

Yeah that's the one, sorry for being unclear. Possibly a distasteful joke.

When I was in seminary, I had a job working with hazardous waste disposal. It was a job that most people did not want, which is why it paid very well. Even though the work may be unpleasant, it seems like the slaughter house job is the best choice for your family.

As long as it's ethical I think it's fine. Maybe you'll be able to better understand what the levitical priests had to go through... Jk

I decided to take the job. Letting my current employer know that I'm leaving today. I don't know how I'll go but if I can stick it out the shorter work times will help with my studies for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back