Job Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS116

Puritan Board Freshman
Word on the street is..you guys are pretty good with helping others look for jobs in their area.So with that being said I am desperate need of a job! well not really, but I need a job while I am taking off this semester of school.Any job ideas?Any good job search engines that others have used to find their jobs?

I wouldn't use a search engine. You will be competing against many more people that way.

Instead, I suggest networking. Find a personal connection with someone who is hiring or who "might want to hire if the right person comes along". Even if your connection is not direct, but "through someone", you already have an advantage.

I wouldn't use a search engine. You will be competing against many more people that way.

Instead, I suggest networking. Find a personal connection with someone who is hiring or who "might want to hire if the right person comes along". Even if your connection is not direct, but "through someone", you already have an advantage.

Thanks for the advice Tim! I will do that also, I've been talking to people inside and outside of the church to keep their eyes and ears open. I know how it is when you have a job and you constantly have someone asking "are you guys hiring?" it get's tiring but I found it helpful telling people put in application anyway if places are or not, because people come and leave jobs every other month.

Hey, use both. Although networking has a lot better return.

I hear they are hurting for employees in North Dakota (oil boom). Not just people to work at the refineries, but anything and everything due to the infrastructure needed to keep the new population cared for. Can you relocate for a few months?

You may be too far away, but I have a friend looking for a couple of part time employees in the Jacksonville, Havelock, New Bern, and Greenville, NC areas. Are you too far from there? It would involve work in hospitals picking up and replacing sharps (needles, etc.) containers.

Depends on what you are willing to do. I've been a janitor for almost five years (as that's what a Bible degree will qualify you for), and there are usually open positions in the custodial arts. One thing's for sure, my job is recession proof.

Hey, use both. Although networking has a lot better return.

I hear they are hurting for employees in North Dakota (oil boom). Not just people to work at the refineries, but anything and everything due to the infrastructure needed to keep the new population cared for. Can you relocate for a few months?

Thanks! I will use all I can to seek out a job, but I don't think moving is an option for me at the moment, thank you anyway!

Are you just looking for something temporary, for a couple months? You could try a temp agency and tell them your needs.

I think part-time will benefit me,I can still work when school starts again in the fall semester.

You may be too far away, but I have a friend looking for a couple of part time employees in the Jacksonville, Havelock, New Bern, and Greenville, NC areas. Are you too far from there? It would involve work in hospitals picking up and replacing sharps (needles, etc.) containers.

Sounds interesting, im not that familiar driving to those parts, which one would be closer to Wilmington? If all else fails I might just have to take up that offer.

Sounds interesting, im not that familiar driving to those parts, which one would be closer to Wilmington? If all else fails I might just have to take up that offer.

Jacksonville would be the closest, about an hour north on Hwy 17 (not the OP, but the cities mentioned are parts of my old stomping ground).

Networking is good. But I would no neglect other avenues, particularly if you don't have much of a network to start with. The most helpful search engines I know of are Indeed and Simply Hired, both of which yield results from the big sites like Careerbuilder as well as corporate and various other sites. I seem to recall coming across some others but I can't recall them right now.

While there are some bad opportunities and definite pitfalls there that are to be avoided, (which is the case with any of the job boards) nevertheless Craigslist can be a good source of job opportunities with local small businesses, whether FT or PT. There may be sites focused on your local or regional area as well.

Last edited:
Word on the street is..you guys are pretty good with helping others look for jobs in their area.So with that being said I am desperate need of a job! well not really, but I need a job while I am taking off this semester of school.Any job ideas?Any good job search engines that others have used to find their jobs?
Craig's list usually has local temporary jobs that do not appear in the usual giant job search engines.

AMR

I got the job!!!

Thanks for the prayers all, pray with me that I glorify the lord through my speech and actions throughout the time that I am there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back