Job Search Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
For those who are or ever have been in the market for a new job, what methods, resources, etc., did you find useful - and which seemed to be a waste of time?

The focus of my job search is in 'high-tech' companies, so I've found http://www.corptech.com to be a great resource (those who have used the library during a job search may have seen their 4-volume set). In their database, they have relevant information (contact, addresses, phone #s, product, financial, company description, website address, etc) that is very helpful. Anyway, they let you try out their database for one day, which was plenty of time for me to locate all the companies in my hometown, the neighboring towns, and in Boston, and to quickly copy/paste the search results into an excel spreadsheet. After massaging/formatting the data a little, you can then sort by category to focus in on a particular type of company you're looking for, so you can then find out more info about the selected companies. An excellent resource!

Another great resource is kelleysearch.com. I found them when I was doing an online search, and the search gave me this address:

http://www.kellysearch.com/Ashland-MA-US-Companies-1.html

This site lists all companies by town, which includes all types of businesses. By changing the "Ashland-MA" in the web address, you can go from town-to-town to see what businesses are out there.

Word-of-mouth has also been an excellent source of leads. Several friends and neighbors have sent me web addresses of companies they think would hire somebody with my skill set.

How about you? What resources/methods have you used that were helpful? Or seemed to be a waste of time?

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by blhowes]

Networking has been my best source. It is always easier when you come recommended otherwise you are just another resume on the pile.

Originally posted by wsw201
Networking has been my best source. It is always easier when you come recommended otherwise you are just another resume on the pile.
I agree. It certainly does help move one's resume closer to the top of the stack if you can get a recommendation from somebody inside a company.

...and I'll just bet you know somebody who knows somebody who knows a friend of somebody's uncle who's looking for somebody with my background. Can ya give me a name?

Originally posted by wsw201
Are you willing to move?
I'd have to give that some serious thought. My wife actually asked me that same question a week or so ago when I told her the tech writing job our neighbor recommended probably wasn't local, but in their California site. A willingness to move would certainly make things a bit more flexible jobwise, not to mention churchwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back