Has anyone else gotten this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Received Text advocate, but I don't go as far as the Ripplinger crowd and other Satan-obsessed bible weirdos.

I did a fairly in-depth study of this subject for the church I was a member of at the time, about 10 years ago. You can find it here.

Mark Hettler's KJV Paper (requires Microsoft Word)

It's well footnoted with a lot of good resources. Probably the best is the James White book already mentioned.

If you want to hear the "Bibles other than KJV are a conspiracy of Satan" argument first-hand, Gail Riplinger's "New Age Bible Versions" is probably the "best", if you want to call it that.

Those more scholarly than Riplinger argue that the Greek manuscripts on which the KJV is based (Byzantine manuscripts) are supposedly more reliable than those on which modern versions are based (Alexandrian). To counter that, one of the best resources is Bruce Metzger's "The Text of the New Testament."

There is also the argument that if we are going to say that manuscripts discovered relatively recently, and used as basis for modern translations, are more accurate than the ones that have always been known (and on which the KJV is based), then God has not preserved His inspired word down through the centuries. It's actually a more compelling argument than my brief summary of it makes it sound, but I think my above-linked paper responds to it fairly effectively.

Last edited:
I find the KJV to be a solid translation, if only the language was a bit old for us today. I prefer translations that are done word-by-word (formal equivalence?). I use the KJV and NKJV, and am thinking of buying the ESV study Bible.

I find the KJV to be a solid translation, if only the language was a bit old for us today. I prefer translations that are done word-by-word (formal equivalence?). I use the KJV and NKJV, and am thinking of buying the ESV study Bible.

You should. My church uses the ESV, and let me tell you, I love it! Matter of fact, I am looking at my ESV Study Bible rat now! Good study Bible, even if I do say so myself, and I do say so myself!

You know, I recall one Fundamentalist who said to me he only started to understand the Bible clearly after picking up a KJV Bible. And he boasted when a Charismatic leader who got angry, because he was unable to make him speak in tongues, the leader pointed at his KJV Bible, saying, "It must be this!"

You know, I recall one Fundamentalist who said to me he only started to understand the Bible clearly after picking up a KJV Bible. And he boasted when a Charismatic leader who got angry, because he was unable to make him speak in tongues, the leader pointed at his KJV Bible, saying, "It must be this!"

There are probably many more charismatic leaders who use the KJV and would blame a modern translation for a person's inability to speak in tongues.

The Fundamentalist should have started to speak King James English.

:rofl:

:rofl:

Doith thou findeth fault with thus? Methings thoust attitude stinkith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back