Has Anyone Used Both The NASB And ESV Enough To Fairly And Competently Compare The Two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What characteristics of a translation are most important to you? How do you rank them?

Mostly literal. I understand the dynamics of language and how you can't literally translate an idiom. But still, "Standard" versions (those with an "S") in them are superior to thought-for-thought versions.

I more and more just default to the Greek and Hebrew, though I go to translations to see how they handled hard passages.
the future outlook of the translation (is it dying away, or will it be used for the foreseeable future?)

There will *always* be new translations because the English language is always changing. It's as simple as that.

Mostly literal. I understand the dynamics of language and how you can't literally translate an idiom. But still, "Standard" versions (those with an "S") in them are superior to thought-for-thought versions.

I more and more just default to the Greek and Hebrew, though I go to translations to see how they handled hard passages.

There will *always* be new translations because the English language is always changing. It's as simple as that.
I’m leaning more and more toward literal. Especially since I don’t know the original languages.

Would it concern you if the NASB stopped being published? When I think about building my family life upon a particular translation, it concerns me if it disappears by the time my kids grow up.

Not saying that will happen, but it’s a thought.

There won’t be that problem with Crossway though. I could even go to my local Catholic Church and get a copy soon. :think:

Would it concern you if the NASB stopped being published? When I think about building my family life upon a particular translation, it concerns me if it disappears by the time my kids grow up.

Not really. Anyway, the guys behind the NASB have hte opposite problem. They keep releasing new editions.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

————

Here’s another question for everybody:

What characteristics of a translation are most important to you? How do you rank them?

Thugs such as accuracy, readability, having a translation that matches what your local church uses, the different types of formats available (reference, text only, single column, wide margin, etc.), the future outlook of the translation (is it dying away, or will it be used for the foreseeable future?), is it the same as your spouse likes, etc.
These are fresh questions because I just bought a carry Bible for my 16-year-old son and am considering getting another for a friend who appears to be coming to faith from a RC background. In my own usage I've carried different editions to meet just about all the conditions you've mentioned. I've settled on always using my beat-up wide margin NASB with 20+years of notes scrawed in. If I were to have it rebound, I'd consider seeing if they could remove all the extra pages of maps, introductions etc.

Our church uses NIV 1984, but it's clearly going away. A dynamic equivalent translation can read in a lively manner but it is also vulnerable to modern biases such as trying to make the text gender neutral. I can't count the times I've heard our pastor say "xyz word would be the better translation here" and that is the exact word my NASB uses.

For my son, I took about a year to decide my preference for the NASB trumps my concern that it is being used less and less. It's what he hears when I'm reading. I really disliked the ESV and have too many qualms over dynamic equivalence. I read the KJV to my boys every now and again because they should know that literary tradition.

These are fresh questions because I just bought a carry Bible for my 16-year-old son and am considering getting another for a friend who appears to be coming to faith from a RC background. In my own usage I've carried different editions to meet just about all the conditions you've mentioned. I've settled on always using my beat-up wide margin NASB with 20+years of notes scrawed in. If I were to have it rebound, I'd consider seeing if they could remove all the extra pages of maps, introductions etc.

Our church uses NIV 1984, but it's clearly going away. A dynamic equivalent translation can read in a lively manner but it is also vulnerable to modern biases such as trying to make the text gender neutral. I can't count the times I've heard our pastor say "xyz word would be the better translation here" and that is the exact word my NASB uses.

For my son, I took about a year to decide my preference for the NASB trumps my concern that it is being used less and less. It's what he hears when I'm reading. I really disliked the ESV and have too many qualms over dynamic equivalence. I read the KJV to my boys every now and again because they should know that literary tradition.
It’s an important decision to be sure!

We are blessed to have so many decent English translations, but that also comes with some difficulties as well.

One of my main concerns is the importance of sticking with a translation so that it gets hidden in the heart, and a part of everyday vocabulary. I haven’t done this yet.

It’s an important decision to be sure!

We are blessed to have so many decent English translations, but that also comes with some difficulties as well.

One of my main concerns is the importance of sticking with a translation so that it gets hidden in the heart, and a part of everyday vocabulary. I haven’t done this yet.
Just pick one. Even though I study and teach with multiple translations when it comes to memory work I go with KJV.

Good luck finding a genuine leather bible, period. Trutone has replaced everything.
Try Ebay. You should be able to find a 1977 NASB in new or like new, in the binding of your preference, probably for less than you would get the most recent version in a store. When you think of how many copies end up in Grandma's estate, it makes sense.

For the money, you can’t beat this (despite the red letter).
That’s all good, except I am Canadian. That $23 is going to be over $40 to get it to me. Hmm. I am intrigued though.

Do you have one yourself? Is it worth $40?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Ebay. You should be able to find a 1977 NASB in new or like new, in the binding of your preference, probably for less than you would get the most recent version in a store. When you think of how many copies end up in Grandma's estate, it makes sense.
My pastor found one for himself about a year ago due to his original falling to pieces. As I recall he waited a bit to find one with the pagination and everything the same.

That’s all good, except I am Canadian. That $23 is going to be over $40 to get it to me. Hmm. I am intrigued though.

Do you have one yourself? Is it worth $40?
I do. It is actually a well-made Bible, though it is bonded, not genuine, leather and red letter. It is sewn and larger print. I'd spend $40 on it, especially since there aren't a lot of readily available 77's.

So sorry for being unclear. We still have NIV 1984 in our pews and readings, but how long will replacement copies be available?
Unless I'm badly mistaken, Zondervan (copyright holder) will not reprint the 1984 translation. It is 2011 or nothing. Not a bad exchange as far as I'm concerned, having both and comparing.

I do. It is actually a well-made Bible, though it is bonded, not genuine, leather and red letter. It is sewn and larger print. I'd spend $40 on it, especially since there aren't a lot of readily available 77's.
You should work for AMG Publishers.

I primarily use the ESV but I have deliberately incorporated the Authorised Version into my personal devotions. Thus I use the ESV Reformation Study Bible and the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible.

By the way Reformation Heritage books presently have some nice specials on the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible.

Do the references at the end of each verse get annoying? Do the large section headings negatively impact the experience?

I really like the Lockman side-column reference layout, which is a single column verse-by-verse format. I’m not sure if double column is for me.

Do the references at the end of each verse get annoying? Do the large section headings negatively impact the experience?

I really like the Lockman side-column reference layout, which is a single column verse-by-verse format. I’m not sure if double column is for me.

No and no. Seems as though you are at a decision point: either calling your shots as to the bells and whistles of a specific edition or take what’s available on a translation that is no longer mass-marketed. I don’t think you can have both. Blessings in your search.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back