Hands in Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like it. It smacks of pentecostalism.

Exactly. And my rhetorical question is if we're reformed and semper reformanda, why would we want anything to do with stuff like that? What's the point of being reformed, then?

Just because the pentecostals are in error on a number of issues, that doesn't mean their practice regarding raising hands in worship is wrong. Now it very well may be wrong, but we have to deal with each issue individually, and look at what Scripture says. The point of being reformed is not being the opposite of a Pentecostal. The point of being reformed is living by Scripture alone.

I don't like it. It smacks of pentecostalism. That and I just feel uncomfortable doing it.
So I construct an argument to vindicate my tastes and establish my opinion as being pious.

Since you are now being quoted for the "hands are sinful" side, can I ask if you were being slightly facetious? I assumed so, which is why I thanked you.

1 Timothy 2:8 is also tied to the lifting up of hands in prayer, not in song.

As far as uniformity goes, should that not be a characteristic of worship? Hopefully, everyone is singing the same songs, listening to the same prayers, etc. I would think we would critical of churches were some of the congregation is embroiled in liturgical dance, some is singing, some is painting pictures, etc. etc.

I will confession that the "unity/uniformity" idea is not original with me. I heard Joey Pipa make that point several years ago and it has always stuck with me, For what it's worth.

That's a bit of a stretch no? How far are we taking uniformity? Dress code? How about assigning people to pews based on height? Should it be tall in the front or in the back?

No, it would be a bit of a stretch to take the analogy too far. It is actions in worship being discussed, not dress or seating order. What takes place in worship should be done to promote the unity of the body of Christ, not facilitate divisions within. And certainly we should not promote the idea that those who lift their hands are more pious than those who not, which is the proverbial elephant in the room in this discussion. I know you are not saying this, but it is a possible concern if such a division takes place within the context of worship.

<sillyness>
I think we should choreograph the hands, so we can not only pray verbally, but with semaphore.
</sillyness>
(Jean is going to hit me for that one!)

I think the Bible allows for many things, but I think some of it is possibly cultural in nature. But then I could be wrong on that.

There is nothing in scripture that says we have to have our heads bowed and hands folded. There is nothing that says we have to raise our hands. There is a lot of room for variance. And while I think people gravitate toward similar expression (a single person lifting their hands in prayer will probably feel out of place at times, while those that do not will probably go where they feel comfortable). As an individual, I might raise my hands, but it "feels" wrong in front of others. There are times where I have knelt in prayer is small groups, and when I was a child, I remember there used to be kneeing bars (?) I don't know what they are called, but they were padded, and during certain times of the service, it was expected that everyone would kneel in prayer.

-----Added 8/29/2009 at 05:52:58 EST-----

Just because the pentecostals are in error on a number of issues, that doesn't mean their practice regarding raising hands in worship is wrong. Now it very well may be wrong, but we have to deal with each issue individually, and look at what Scripture says. The point of being reformed is not being the opposite of a Pentecostal. The point of being reformed is living by Scripture alone.

One cannot escape one's culture, and that is why I believe the reformers were saying that the pope was the Antichrist. (Sorry, I'm an American WCF holder, and I don't think Obama ought to be the one calling councils to correct doctrine in the church!) We in the same way see so much error in the pentecostal church, that we much like the reformers, tend to go overboard on issues that related to the major visible church errors of our time.

This has been an interesting thread. The raising of hands during worship, as I've mentioned, is foreign to me.

Neh 8:6 And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground.​
In this verse, worshipping God with my head bowed, and my face towards the ground, makes sense to me. Being curious about the raising of hands, I looked up verses related to raising of hands. Among the verses was this one;

Lam 3:41 Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens.​

Is this the reason people raise their hands during worship? They are lifting up their hearts with their hands unto God, as if to offer up their heart to God to do with it as He pleases.

This has been an interesting thread. The raising of hands during worship, as I've mentioned, is foreign to me.

Neh 8:6 And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground.​
In this verse, worshipping God with my head bowed, and my face towards the ground, makes sense to me. Being curious about the raising of hands, I looked up verses related to raising of hands. Among the verses was this one;

Lam 3:41 Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens.​

Is this the reason people raise their hands during worship? They are lifting up their hearts with their hands unto God, as if to offer up their heart to God to do with it as He pleases.

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but this is a large part of why I raise my hands at times. I generally raise my hands during the benediction and sometimes during songs and prayers. Most of my church raises their hands during the benediction - its a posture that indicates that we are receiving a blessing. I usually only raise my hands during prayer or song if it is a prayer or song of thanksgiving. During other types of prayer/song (such as confession, repentance, mourning etc) a more somber posture seems more fitting.

Didn't the Puritans pray with their faces lifted to the sky? (This is an honest question - I think someone told me this once, but I'm not certain if its correct)

What should your hands be doing during worship?

Holding the hymnal, duh!

j/k :)

I heard someone joke once that this is the reason why so many churches have switched to PowerPoint -- so that your hands are free to wave during the service! ;)

I'd rather be part of the frozen chosen than not have four part harmony during singing. There is no way I can sing the melody of most hymns (or any other music for that matter). All these "unison" songs make it almost impossible for me to participate (I just can't sing that high).

I wish those that want all the modern "happy clappy" music (even if it were psalms) would realize that everyone is supposed to be able to participate, and unison songs make that difficult to impossible.

That's one reason I sit to the side or up front (or mute my mic if I'm up front). I can't sing harmony, and you DON'T want to hear me sing the melody. Hopefully only God hears me sing -- and as the HS fixes my prayers, I'm hopeful that he also fixes my pitch.

I have a series of questions to pose, but will begin them by stating that I have no strict problem with the raising of hands while singing per se; and I also feel that this is an issue which needs to be handled with great care and delicacy. The first question is this:

For those who do raise hands while singing in public worship, do you also do the same during the reading and/or preaching of the word?
I do not raise my hands during the reading and preaching of the Word because I do not want to be called on in the middle of a sermon. However, I do nod vigorusly and say uh huh and Amen. albeit very quietly because the whole verse women should be quiet in church thing. oh and I nudge my husband when I srongly agree or feel moved by the preaching of the Word.

Hi my name is Jessica and I'm a nudger.

I have a series of questions to pose, but will begin them by stating that I have no strict problem with the raising of hands while singing per se; and I also feel that this is an issue which needs to be handled with great care and delicacy. The first question is this:

For those who do raise hands while singing in public worship, do you also do the same during the reading and/or preaching of the word?
I do not raise my hands during the reading and preaching of the Word because I do not want to be called on in the middle of a sermon. However, I do nod vigorusly and say uh huh and Amen. albeit very quietly because the whole verse women should be quiet in church thing. oh and I nudge my husband when I srongly agree or feel moved by the preaching of the Word.

Hi my name is Jessica and I'm a nudger.

I am also a nudger! I've also be known to nod vigorously without realizing I'm doing so...

Holding the hymnal, duh!

j/k :)

I heard someone joke once that this is the reason why so many churches have switched to PowerPoint -- so that your hands are free to wave during the service! ;)

I'd rather be part of the frozen chosen than not have four part harmony during singing. There is no way I can sing the melody of most hymns (or any other music for that matter). All these "unison" songs make it almost impossible for me to participate (I just can't sing that high).

I wish those that want all the modern "happy clappy" music (even if it were psalms) would realize that everyone is supposed to be able to participate, and unison songs make that difficult to impossible.

While I agree with you about the 4-part harmony. We are currently trying to figure out a way to get more of it in our church. However, it is possible to "pitch" unison songs so that they are singable to all the congregation. It does require a little work on the part of those chosing music, but it can be done.

That's one reason I sit to the side or up front (or mute my mic if I'm up front). I can't sing harmony, and you DON'T want to hear me sing the melody. Hopefully only God hears me sing -- and as the HS fixes my prayers, I'm hopeful that he also fixes my pitch.

I'm sure he groans too deep to express with words. :lol:

Why does it sound like we should hide our emotions during worship, as if that is a bad thing?

Granted men may not react as 'emotionally' as women, but they are emotional beings as well, should we completely stifle our emotions re: the love we feel towards God and what He has done for us?

I, for one, raise my hands when singing praises to God. If God has placed it on my heart to raise my hands in praise to Him, why should I be concerned what 'others' think? I'm not there for them, I'm there to worship God.

This is actually something I struggled with, and the same question kept coming to mind, am I here to please God or man? If God through the Holy Spirit is putting on my heart to raise my hands in praise during song, and I don't then I am ignoring the prompting of the Holy Spirit, and basically telling God, that the opinions of people in the church and 'how it might be frowned upon' is more important to me..than what He is prompting me to do, so lift my hands in praise and thanksgiving.

And re: do I also raise my hands during the reading and preaching of the word, no, I don't.

While I agree with you about the 4-part harmony. We are currently trying to figure out a way to get more of it in our church. However, it is possible to "pitch" unison songs so that they are singable to all the congregation. It does require a little work on the part of those chosing music, but it can be done.

I'm not sure it is unless it is of very limited range. If you have high voices that range from E on the low with F (one octave higher) on the high for sustainable singing, and low voices that range from A to C (again an octave higher) for low voices, then the combined sustainable range is from E to C ... much less than an octave. And it seems the other problem (for me at least) is that the songs that are unison are typically high voice songs, not low, so I'm almost always out of a sustainable range in unison singing (unless I drop it an octave, but that songs just horrid).

I don't like the raising of hands in worship. The raising of two hands is a near universal sign of defeat, surrender, submission, receptivity to the will of another.... weakness. We can't have that in our worship. We must maintain our composure and dignity, people.

Raising only one hand is slightly better since it only implies half defeat, etc.

I use mine to hold my hymnal, liturgical pamphlet, or the Bible.

It's clear that I'm the holiest. I redeem the time by waving and raising my hands in praise while exercising by doing cleans and presses with my ESV Study Bible.

The motion is a lot like this:

[video=youtube;YD5APlgpbBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5APlgpbBQ[/video]

Now I should also start a thread about how humble I am...

:)

I use mine to hold my hymnal, liturgical pamphlet, or the Bible.

It's clear that I'm the holiest. I redeem the time by waving and raising my hands in praise while exercising by doing cleans and presses with my ESV Study Bible.

The motion is a lot like this:

[video=youtube;YD5APlgpbBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5APlgpbBQ[/video]

Now I should also start a thread about how humble I am...

:)

Hey! You get that going with music and you've got something there! :lol:

Is there a Scripture which forbids the raising of hands in corporate worship? If not, can it be convincingly implied from any Scripture?

If not, on what authority do you forbid the raising of hands during the singing portion of a church service?

Hey! You get that going with music and you've got something there! :lol:

Perhaps the ESV Study Bible is just for biblical heavy-weights. If you want the results to be more internal and don't yet feel comfortable with letting everyone see the results from three intense months at church, just "get your heart involved" and stick with cardio. The simplest, safest, sauciest solution is to go thinline and increase reps and speed. But remember! A runner can't win the prize without obeying the rules! So good form is a must.

Perhaps we could just borrow a tradition that's commonly used today and use it for a different purpose. When its time to sing, the leader simply says, "Would you please bow your heads and close your eyes. With all eyes closed, and nobody looking around..."

I don't like it. It smacks of pentecostalism. That and I just feel uncomfortable doing it.
So I construct an argument to vindicate my tastes and establish my opinion as being pious.

I don't like the raising of hands in worship. The raising of two hands is a near universal sign of defeat, surrender, submission, receptivity to the will of another.... weakness. We can't have that in our worship. We must maintain our composure and dignity, people.

Raising only one hand is slightly better since it only implies half defeat, etc.

:lol:

I know when I am in worship sometimes I have to grip the pew in front of me to stop myself from lifting my hands or moving around some. For some reason it is hard for me to just stand there with hands by my side when praising God! Such joy just overwhelms my soul.

(No one else in my church is doing this and I'm not from a Charismatic background--I just have such joy)

Well I think this has been a good thread.
My conclusions are this

1) We're encouraged in Scripture to do so in the old and new testaments. It's absolutely optional.

2) Having church unity is important but not on silly things like raising your hands, if were gonna stretch unity that far how much more could we be united on, where would it end?
We must take the context as a whole of where the unity of the church is mentioned in these passages. Was Paul asking for unity on a doctrinal issue, a leadership issue etc...? What was the problems the church was having? e.g. corinthians and their crazy communion services etc.. We could really easily end up in legalism if we ran with this unity thing.

3) We must be sure that we are not trying to conform people to our image, rather than allowing those people to be conformed to Christs image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back