Desert Island book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
You have probably heard the question "if you were stranded on a desert island and could only have 2 books what would they be"?
Well for all Christians the Bible should be first and foremost. So that one is already taken. So what would the one other book be and if you feel inspired why that your choice?

For me I think it would be J.I. Packer's "Knowing God" because of how it speaks on such vital topics for the Christian with both depth and simplicity. Both theological and devotional, which I find is the best type of book.
Great stuff!

What is your one desert island book?

Thanks!

For His Glory-
Matthew

Last edited:
That was funny! I guess I should have been more specific. Of course I would also want a survival manual but I am thinking of one theological book.

Hard question: I was thinking of a Psalter and then thought I wouldn't need that because I could always just make up my own tunes by reading God's Word.

Then I thought of the Book of Church Order and laughed. FAIL!

Then I thought of Gospel Worship by Jeremiah Burroughs. I'll stick with that.

That was funny! I guess I should have been more specific. Of course I would also want a survival manual but I am thinking of one theological book.

Then I guess I would choose Commentary On The Heidelberg Catechism by Zacharias Ursinus. This way I will be able to keep a clear understanding of the Scriptures. Hopefuly while delirium sets in.

The Christian Doctrine of God: One Being, Three Persons by Thomas F. Torrance (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1996).

G. K. Chesterton was once asked the "desert island book" question. His answer: How to Build a Boat!

Matthew Henry's complete commentary.

What's the rule on multiple volumes? :lol:

The Confessions and Pilgrim's Progress are pretty appealing. This is a hard question. Much like the favorite hymn question my answer will probably always be changing!

SIngle volume edition (1&2) of "Studies In The Sermon On The Mount" by Reverend D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

A.W Pink's "The Sovereignty of God" Baker book (American) edition

That is IF my Bible has an excellent concordance in it,if it didn't then a strongs concordance would be my choice

Probably "The Ten Best Things to do on a Desert Island." Reading would likely not be one of them.

Largest book

^With the center hollowed out and filled with everything I'd ever need (including a few books). It would also contain and indestructible satellite phone, to get myself off the island once I was bored.

Matthew Henry's complete commentary.

Agreed. It's insane how much is in there. I missed church today because of an illness/injury and spent some time reading his commentary on Psalm 1. Psalm 1 by itself is so packed with edification by itself, with Henry's commentary it is mind blowing. So yes, I think I would take that book if we are just talking theological books!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back