best, and most comprehensive critique of Dispensationalism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilgrim3970

Puritan Board Freshman
Interested in a book that presents the most comprehensive and best critique of the dispensationalist view. Any suggestions?

Interested in a book that presents the most comprehensive and best critique of the dispensationalist view. Any suggestions?

Two books I know of that were very helpful in my understanding were Gerstner's "Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth", and Mathison's "Dispensationalism: Rightly Dividing the People of God?". Unfortunately Gerstner's book is out of print, though there are a number of used copies around.

I've read all the books listed thus far, and although they're all good in my estimation I would recommend without question "Dispensationalism Today, Yesterday and Tomorrow." It's out of print but it can be secured on line. The very good news is, I just found this link, which is most worthy of being bookmarked: http://jacksongrace.com/disp.htm

Klinians would do well to internalize the book!

Ron

Some informative critiques of dispensationalism I have on the shelf:

*Dispensationalism, Rightly Dividing the People of God? by Keith Mathison (P&R Publishing, 1995)

*Backgrounds to Dispensationalism by Clarence B. Bass (Baker Books, 1960)

*Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth by John Gerstner (Wolgemuth and Hyatt Publishers, 1991)

*Dispensationalism Today, Yesterday, and Tomorrow by Curtis Crenshaw and Grover Gunn (Footstool Publications, 1995 revised edition). Note: The site listed above by Ron is by Grover Gunn (co-author of this book)

Last edited:
One book I have found to be very useful is: Darby, Dualism, and the Decline of Dispensationalism by Ronald Henzel.

The only problem with some of the older works is that they are not as relevant to current manifestations of Dispensationalism.

To get a read on current Dispensational thought, you might want to look at:

Progressive Dispensationalism by Blaising and Bock

The Case for Progressive Dispensationalism by Robert Saucy

I'm not sure who has really seriously addressed PD, though I suspect Vern Poythress may have some materials on it.

Also, what about Robert Reymond's New Systematic Theology?

The only problem with some of the older works is that they are not as relevant to current manifestations of Dispensationalism.

To get a read on current Dispensational thought, you might want to look at:

Progressive Dispensationalism by Blaising and Bock

The Case for Progressive Dispensationalism by Robert Saucy

I'm not sure who has really seriously addressed PD, though I suspect Vern Poythress may have some materials on it.

Also, what about Robert Reymond's New Systematic Theology?

Henzel, in the afore-mentioned book does deal with Progressive Dispensationalism. He traces the way that dispensationalism has morphed from Darby through Scofield to Ryrie to its present "progressives".

Oh, Vern Poythress' Understanding Dispensationalists is probably not the most comprehensive critique, but I think he charitably and perceptively moves to the heart of the matter.

Poythress was my biggest influence moving away from Dispensationalism, since he kindly showed me where to look and what to consider.

George Ladd also helped me, with all of his work on already-not yet eschatology. I don't know that I was ready at that point to seriously consider those "allegorizing Amillennialists", but Ladd as a pre-mill showed me the flatness of the Dispensational understanding of the Kingdom.

Actually, the book that first moved me away from Dispensationalism was Charles Ryrie's Dispensationalism. Sometimes you just need to give people enough rope to hang themselves with.

*Dispensationalism Today, Yesterday, and Tomorrow by Curtis Crenshaw and Grover Gunn (Footstool Publications, 1995 revised edition). Note: The site listed above by Ron is by Grover Gunn (co-author of this book)

That's interesting Dr. Crenshaw is now with the REC and teaches down at Cranmer House in Houston.

I've not read the others, but Gerstner's book, while it has some good points, is a typical straw man discussion. A couple of the chapters are worth reading, but not worth the cost of the book.

Gerstner's little book "A Primer on Dispensationalism" and Poythress' Understanding Dispensationalists were instrumental in my "questioning" of Dispensationalism. It was Dispensationalism Today, Yesterday, and Tomorrow by Curtis Crenshaw and Grover Gunn that "drove the final nail in the coffin!

I've received some good feedback for my work titled Darby, Dualism, and the Decline of Dispensationalism, which can be obtained here. I did not, however, intend for it to be a comprehensive critique, but rather one that focuses on the system's chief weakness: its inability to account for the applicability of the New Covenant prophecy to the current dispensation under the terms of its hermeneutical system.

Hey Joe...

or anybody else, have we ever had a debate, or long discussions on the Dispensational issue?

I grew out of it, reading Reformed materials, listening to White Horse Inn, and RC Sproul before I started on the PB, and the PB locked it down. But, I don't remember too many threads actually discussing the topic of Dispensational in detail.

Are you Dispensational Joe?

I'm assuming so, since Johnny Mac is, I'll be honest, since I respect Macarthur so much, every once in a while, I have doubts creep in, because he holds to it...but...I think that's his blind spot.:)

I'd love to see a little "debate" on it, from someone on the PB who still is Dispensational.

Or is that off the "Reformed" topic list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back