BB gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
What is the earliest age a Texas boy should be given a BB gun with unsupervised use if he is instructed in how to use it and is reliable? And remember, I am talking about Texas boys (if you are not from Texas, you should probably shave 1-2 years off your estimate). :D

[Edited on 12-15-2005 by Scott]

5th grade.

I know we were running around with them in 5th grade, but we were also having bb gun wars with them and are lucky no one lost an eye....and we did break a couple of windows......so.......I'd say maybe 7th grade, but that is also when kids become insane due to hormones, so.....10th, but that's when they start stalking girls.....I'd say keep it supervised till they are out of your house and you are not legally liable!;):lol:

I love them though, my 7 year old son and I have been shooting one since he was 4, it's a great way to teach about guns, safety, etc.

By the way, how classic and funny is the BB gun subplot of A Christmas Story!:lol:

I think UNsupervised was around the time I became a boy scout. I think that is 5th or 6th grade. Doesn't hurt to start them younger with all the safety rules by supervised tin can shooting in the back yard at 4th grade or so. I actually shoot with my grandsons who are 6 yrs old and 5 yrs old in a strict supervised type set up.

Oh and even in Texas there are two kinds of citizenry.
There is the rural kid and then there is the city boy.

Rural gets to shoot earlier and more often.

You\'ll shoot your eye out kid!!

gun_1_small.jpg

gun_2_small.jpg

gun_3_small.jpg

Originally posted by Richard King
Oh and even in Texas there are two kinds of citizenry.
There is the rural kid and then there is the city boy.

Rural gets to shoot earlier and more often.

Yup, I was a ranch boy. I received a 410 shotgun for Christmas when I was in 3rd grade. I still have it.

I got the BB gun so early I can't remember it. But I was well trained. My dad put the fear of God and himself into me if I ever violated the safety rules. Even if I was two miles away in the hills, I just knew that he was watching me.

Vic

I'm going to wait until my son is 6. Then I'm going to bypass a BB gun and get him a .22 for him to cut his teeth on.
I intend to work with him until he is shooting at Ranger Bn level proficiency. I'm sure my old squad leader will be proud.

Originally posted by Scott
Vic: Sounds like a good childhood!

Yes, every year as I get older I appreciate more what I had. I had a hard father who was ungodly. But he was firm in bringing me up. He taught me how to fish, hunt, work and think. I miss him much and I miss those days in the foothills of paradise.

Vic

I started my boys out young. I think 3rd grade. I had to replace some siding on someones garage because of BB holes. Josh shot his thumb and I had to take him to the ER to get the BB removed. No one is dead yet, even though they are trying to die at their fathers hand.

Got my BB gun when I was 10. When I was 13 I got a .58 percussion muzzleloader rifle. Shooting Minie balls* out of that thing really hurt. When I was 17 I built a 1760s s-tyle flintlock rifle, and a year later got a flintlock musket. I've never fired a modern firearm other than my dad's 12 gauge once, I find 'em kinda boring. Flintlock is what I prefer, though in the future I might get a 17th century style matchlock or possibly a snaphaunce. There's just something about the smell of blackpowder in the morning.;)

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by Plimoth Thom]

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by Plimoth Thom]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back