Artur Weiser's The Psalms: A Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Puritan Board Senior
Anyone read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Psalms-Commentary-Old-Testament-Library/dp/0664222978"]it[/ame]? :detective:

41WQM4M4MRL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Yes. I have it and have used it on occasion. I'm not all that impressed with it. I'd take Spurgeon's "The Treasury of David" any day and on any Psalm over Weiser.

Yes. I have it and have used it on occasion. I'm not all that impressed with it. I'd take Spurgeon's "The Treasury of David" any day and on any Psalm over Weiser.

How critical is he?

In the intro he says he wants to "get rid of the prejudice which long prevailed in the school of Wellhausen." But he still goes on to speak of Yahwistic and Elohistic traditions in the Pentateuch and he goes big on the "cultic foundations of Psalmody," especially with the idea that many of the Psalms are related to some "Covenant Festival of Yahweh" (for which there is "no proper ritual"). So I would say that he is critical. On Psalm 137, for instance, he speaks about the Psalmist working himself up to a "blind hate and a rage which he is no longer able to master." In the end, the Psalms are just a book which reveals what people believed about God, rather than a revelation from God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back