Your Favorite Popular Theologian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Francis Nigel Leehas been a big influence on me in a number of areas, and without that influence I doubt I'd be in the position I am today theologically.

Other popular favorites of mine that have influenced me, especially in the past, are D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, J.C. Ryle, MacArthur and Sproul. I am just starting to read Machen.

Generally speaking, true theology contains so many metaphysical concepts and scholastic distinctions that it fails to commend itself to the popular mind. There are some men who are gifted with an ability to make theology popular, but they only accomplish this by divesting it of those elements which the common man finds difficult. At that point, however, they leave themselves open to misunderstanding.

The best works in theology are in the field of polemics, where the theologian has only written because he felt compelled to vindicate the truth. These works are too heavy for the popular mind, being laden with biblical languages and theological Latin, as well as much logical argumentation. In the main they have not been reprinted or translated in English.

Theology shows no favouritism, so there should be no such thing as a favourite theologian. If it is true theology it should be received as the truth irrespective of the person communicating it or the mode of its communication. Theologians are not entertainers and theology is not entertainment. The better class of theologians are usually the poorer class of writers, e.g., Samuel Rutherford.

Things that are common are to be found on the surface, whereas richer commodities must be mined.

Theology shows no favouritism, so there should be no such thing as a favourite theologian. If it is true theology it should be received as the truth irrespective of the person communicating it or the mode of its communication. Theologians are not entertainers and theology is not entertainment. The better class of theologians are usually the poorer class of writers, e.g., Samuel Rutherford.

Things that are common are to be found on the surface, whereas richer commodities must be mined.

:amen: Well said, Rev. Winzer.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back