Favorite Non Reformed Theologian

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Reformingstudent, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformingstudent

Reformingstudent Puritan Board Junior

Just wanted to know if anyone here has a favorite teacher/preacher they like to hear sometimes who may not be Reformed in their theology.
    I got to the point that all I ever listen to is Reformed sermons from Sermon Audio or Renewing your Mind and any where else I can find them. I find it difficult to listen to my former favorites any more but I still like to listen to Irvin Lutzer at times. My one time favorite preacher was E.V. Hill. John Ankerberg was another I liked even though he was mostly a teacher. I feel like I have grown some since becoming Reformed in my theology I find it hard listening to things I sometimes feel I have out grown. Is that being too prideful? I am just learning like everyone else (at a some what slower pace of course :lol:) and want to grow in my understanding of the things of the Lord.
    Any way that was just a thought I had. I also liked reading books by (dare I say it?) Dave Hunt. See I have come a long way. :lol:

2. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

Joel Osteen

:lol:

But Seriously call me crazy but I listen to Charles Stanley every morning on the radio.

3. jogri17

jogri17 Puritan Board Junior

norman geisler ;)

4. jogri17

jogri17 Puritan Board Junior

but lutzer is good friends w/ RC SProul and MacArthur. And Ankerberg is a calvinist. He was a fighter w/ the reformed alliance (nickname i made up for: MacArthur, Sproul, Kennedy) and provided the forum for debate over ECT.

5. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

Chuck Swindoll. I enjoy his stories and the lilt of his voice. He seems like he's a real nice guy.

6. Backwoods Presbyterian

:ditto:

On my local FM Christian Station they have Swindoll on at 8:00 followed by Stanley and I usually listen to both of them.

7. Herald

Stanley's voice grates against my ear drums. I can't listen to him for more than 15 seconds.

8. Backwoods Presbyterian

Well he does tell you to listen about every 15 seconds... :lol:

9. caddy

caddy Puritan Board Senior

Yep. I remember his "seasons" devotional books as some of my first books as I became more and more the reader...

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

Lutzer is baptistic and dispensationalist, so he certainly is not Reformed. But he does embrace the doctrines of grace.

Probably my favorite non reformed theologian right now is Russell Moore.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  11. Pilgrim

Or "Watch this!"

12. Herald

13. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

Benny Hinn

Just Kidding!

Aren't the words "non-reformed" and "theologian" mutually exclusive? :p

14. Theogenes

Theogenes Puritan Board Junior

Martin Luther...He's Lutheran, not Reformed...:lol:

15. Pilgrim

The late S. Lewis Johnson was a Calvinistic dispensationalist. One can listen to him with great profit without adopting his whole system.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  16. N. Eshelman

N. Eshelman Puritan Board Senior

I like Chuck Swindoll's preaching as well. He usually has really good insight into the text as well as a voice that this junior preacher covets!

17. danmpem

danmpem Puritan Board Junior

He's not reformed? Somehow I got the idea he was...

And he's definitely one of my favorites too.

18. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

I use to listen to J. Vernon McGee every evening while doing the dishes. I enjoyed listening to his southern drawl. The man was a mess theologically but he sure wanted people to know Christ. Then after he was done Lester Roloff's Family Altar would come on. It was entertaining radio.

I would ride the McGee Bible Gus to the Family Altar. Those were the days. Back in the 80's. I haven't listened to much television or radio preachers since. I use to watch D. James Kennedy on Sundays. But that has subsided these last few years.

19. Reformingstudent

Ankerberg is a Calvinist?? I did not know that. :) Thanks.

20. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

He was a 4 pointer last I heard. The LA thing was lacking.

21. Pilgrim

People tend to assume that because he is at Southern Seminary. I heard an interview with him where when asked, he said he was not a Calvinist and this was hinted at in Why I Am a Baptist too. Regardless, I think he is one of the better young theologians today.

22. Barnpreacher

Barnpreacher Puritan Board Junior

Wow! I didn't think he was Reformed, but I assumed he was at least a Calvinist. He fills in for Mohler on his program when he's out. I wouldn't think Mohler would want a non-Calvinist doing that. :think:

23. SolaGratia

SolaGratia Puritan Board Junior

Oprah Winfrey, Yeah Right! But, At least she sounds just like another theologian, Dr. R. Godfrey.

24. Reformingstudent

Not sure how true it is, but someone once told me a while back that Swindoll was becoming Calvinistic in his theology. That would be great. Loved his book, the Grace Awakening.

25. Pilgrim

People were surprised when C.J. Mahaney preached for John MacArthur when he was on vacation a few years ago given Mac's well known views on charismaticism. Mohler's Calvinistic views are well known, but he rarely brings it up on his show unless someone calls in with a question about it.

26. Reformingstudent

And I thought it was just me.

[​IMG]

27. Pilgrim

Like a lot of Dallas Seminary grads, he has a high view of God's sovereignty compared to the average evangelical. Many of them have held what are essentially 4 point views, but 5 pointers there have been rare. Reportedly that was one reason for the departure of longtime Prof. S. Lewis Johnson years ago.

28. Reformingstudent

[​IMG]

29. Pilgrim

I used to like to listen to Adrian Rogers sometimes as well.

30. Reformingstudent

I forgot about those guys. I used to hear them all the time on a Radio station from Little Rock, AK. KAAY 1090. Also used to be a pentecostal preacher who came on every night railing against drinking, smoking and almost every thing else we Presbyterians like. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.