Why did the rich man in Luke 16 want his family warned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Luke 16 shows the rich man in hades asking that his brothers be told.

Why did he do this? Do we have a case of an evangelistic desire by a soul in hell, or is even this the result of selfish reasons?

I wonder if that request is in the story only to allow Abraham to make the point about how those who won't listen to Moses and the prophets won't listen even if someone is raised from the dead? I'm not sure we're meant to conclude much about the rich man's motives, any more than we should conclude from the whole talking-to-Abraham-from-hell thing that people in heaven and hell talk back and forth. It may just be a literary device; a way Jesus moved the story toward the point he was making about unbelief, which is the takeaway we're meant to hold onto.

Luke 16

19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

The rich man in the parable had love for things of this world, he cared about sparing his brothers from catastrophe, but there is no indication he loved God in this life, or the life to come....

While fear of hell is one motivation, it's not the same as love for one's Creator, or faith in the perfect righteousness of His Son justifying him before a Holy God.

I wonder if that request is in the story only to allow Abraham to make the point about how those who won't listen to Moses and the prophets won't listen even if someone is raised from the dead? I'm not sure we're meant to conclude much about the rich man's motives, any more than we should conclude from the whole talking-to-Abraham-from-hell thing that people in heaven and hell talk back and forth. It may just be a literary device; a way Jesus moved the story toward the point he was making about unbelief, which is the takeaway we're meant to hold onto.

So Jesus made up those details to make his point? It appears to read as a real example.

So Jesus made up those details to make his point? It appears to read as a real example.

Real because even the unregenerate love their siblings as a natural outworking of common "grace".

Even in His wording, his mentality isn't "that my siblings might turn to God" but that they might not have to suffer the dreadful consequences as he is now experiencing.

Why did he do this?

The story is an enlarged object lesson on verse 15 (whether taken as a parable or a real case). In the narrative-flow of Luke it appears that the rich man is pointing to the "covetous Pharisees" just as the elder brother pointed to the "murmuring Pharisees" in chapter 15. The first part of the story highlights the difference between the way God and men view things. The second part of the story return to the matter of them justifying themselves. The rich man is made to condemn himself and warn his brethren. Abraham's direction to hear Moses and the prophets echoes vv. 16-18, with a focus on the coming kingdom of God, i.e., hear Moses and the prophets anticipating the coming of the kingdom which has been witnessed by John and is among you in the person of Jesus.

I think it's a parable and I read it as one would a parable, not trying to draw a theological point out of every detail but primarily looking for the main point(s) of the story. That's said, Scott makes a valid observation that mere fear of hell is motivated by self-love and does not equal love for God. That point doesn't fit into the main thrust of Luke 16, though, and so I hesitate to make too much of it.

That's said, Scott makes a valid observation that mere fear of hell is motivated by self-love and does not equal love for God. That point doesn't fit into the main thrust of Luke 16, though, and so I hesitate to make too much of it.

The first part of Luke 16 is the Parable of the Unjust Steward. Followed by some of the most powerful summaries of God's teaching about the handling of material things (Luke 16:10-13).

Later in the chapter, this passage, it seems implicitly the rich man is very much motivated by the fear of the torment of going to this place. (v.24, v.28). While fear of judgment can be a motivation of turning to God (in faith), it is not, in-and-of-itself the same thing as saving faith. (And only the Spirit can cause that).

That's really what this account is about.

In addition to what's been said, there are other possible reasons (some of these might be from Bunyan, I don't remember). Part of it may be also that the torment of hell includes the knowledge that the one suffering has spurred also his friends and family to the same place through companionship in sin. I've also heard it say that the rich man is indirectly blaming God that he is there. "Well, if you'd just make things a little clearer then maybe people wouldn't end up here! So why not do for my brothers what you didn't do for me?"

Indirectly, it's a great lesson on the sufficiency of Scripture.

I tend to think that it isn't a parable but a historical account, but that's just me.

Do you know any reprobates that would cherish seeing their friends or family suffering torture by a serial killer or to die slowly and painful of a terrible terminal disease? That's how I view this. Those who aren't saved can have terrible experiences of pain in hospitals, etc and then can have compassion on others in that same situation. (We also need to be compassionate toward them in the same way, very important.) But the "fire insurance" syndrome of wanting to save your own skin as an unbeliever is based in a worldview that is built up on pleasure and self contentment, which also can be sympathetic to others who are suffering simply because they are human too, and in their worldview, they also deserve happiness, pleasure, contentment, etc. I'm kinda just regurgitating thoughts, hope its helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back