What is the purpose of faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Grace

Puritan Board Sophomore
What is the purpose of faith? A Brother asked me this very question on the phone the other night, and I answered him the very best I knew. But, I'd like to get other's opinions on it. Thanks in advance!!!!

I like how my mom and a Dr. answered the question when I had my son in ICU not knowing if he was going to die or not 20 years ago. They said they both do not know how people live without faith. Of course this "answer" shows how we are to make sense (have faith) in this crazy cray world stained with so much bad.

Faith is a gift of God that enables a sinner to trust in and to receive Christ as one's saviour.
All men have not faith, writes Paul, and therefore they are unable to comprehend that they
are sinners and that they need saving from the judgment of a thrice holy God. God in grace
imparts this precious gift to those whom He has sovereignly donated to His Son from all
eternity. Faith, or trust and belief, comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. It enables
the soul to believe the promises of God respecting His mercy towards His enemies, and become
an engrafted word which is able to save the soul. When exercised it is the evidence of things not seen
and the substance of things hoped for. The best definition of faith is to belief.

Faith

Faith is a gift of God that enables a sinner to trust in and to receive Christ as one's saviour.
All men have not faith, writes Paul, and therefore they are unable to comprehend that they
are sinners and that they need saving from the judgment of a thrice holy God. God in grace
imparts this precious gift to those whom He has sovereignly donated to His Son from all
eternity. Faith, or trust and belief, comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. It enables
the soul to believe the promises of God respecting His mercy towards His enemies, and become
an engrafted word which is able to save the soul. When exercised it is the evidence of things not seen
and the substance of things hoped for. The best definition of faith is to believe.

Last edited:
The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. He gives us faith by His grace, without which we could not accomplish our reason for existence.

A great question!

Faith is the instrument that God has given us to lay hold of Christ and His promises. By it, we gain approval and are accounted as righteous. By it, we persevere and do not lose heart. I've heard it explained as our eyes as well as our hands. It's the medium through which we take in this world and the world to come.

Thomas Manton: "The flesh is for sparing and favouring the body; but faith is for saving the soul. That is the end and aim of faith."

In this life we know God’s presence by faith, that is, by believing in the truth – the reality – of His words. Alexander Nisbet, who wrote A Commentary on 1st & 2nd Peter (BOT), said, “it [is] the nature of true faith to make the thing it closes with spiritually present to the soul” (p 25). In other words, faith experiences – in the soul of that person – the reality of what God has said.

What is the purpose of faith?

On man's part or on God's part?

On man's part, faith is the means by which the righteousness of Christ is freely imputed to him. On God's part it is the means of imputing righteousness to man in such a way that man cannot boast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back