what do you or your your wife do for "free time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honor

de-cool
I call it "mommy time" it's a time when I jus need to get out the house and spend some time by myself. When I don't hear "Mooooommmy....." or "can you look at my poop/bug/toy/mess/room/etc." or the ever previlant "Mommy/Honey I need (fill in the blank)"
I am not saying that I don't like it but I need a few hours every now and then to say "Calgon TAKE ME AWAY!"

So where do you.... or if you're a guy, where does your wife go to get away from it for a bit?

I've gone to the movies by myself and I've gone to get a mani pedi... but I was wondering what other moms do.

<Giving secret "Loyal Order of Water Buffalo" hand signals>

I move that all responses from men which have to do with playing hooky from work (not that any of us ever ever do that), off the record days with best friends, etc be made in the "Men Only" forum.

<Giving secret "Loyal Order of Water Buffalo" hand signals>

I move that all responses from men which have to do with playing hooky from work (not that any of us ever ever do that), off the record days with best friends, etc be made in the "Men Only" forum.

I move that all female attempts to seriously respond to the OP, take this male reaction and obvious inclination into consideration.

My wife got a half hour back massage yesterday. This is not a regular thing, though. Usually she sits at the computer and plays spider solitaire in her free time. We're really into excitement at our house.

spiders of any kind always get my blood pumping and my heart pounding.... and usually I run away screaming

My wife and I go to the beach, set up our beach chairs next to each other, and read theology books. And then on the drive home we talk to each other about what we've been reading.

awww Mark that's sweet. I would love to go to the beach.... however pregnant me hates the beach. with the 101 heat index here and the 600 jellyfish in the water... No I am not kidding. it's just not like it used to be you know? but that is the sweetest thing I've heard all day.

When our kids were small the first hour after I got home from work was playtime with Daddy. We would even let her participate if she wished. ;)

I just go sit in the woods. Seriously, I love it.

I'm not a big fan of the city, but God providentially has us in an apartment complex there for the foreseeable future. The thing I love about this place is that there is a small (<100 yards wide) wooded area between us and the next complex.

There is a fallen tree over a small creek in the middle of it, and I just sit on it. When I'm there I cannot even hear the cars or anything else around. So I just sit there. Sometimes I'm praying or thinking about something specific, or reading, but most of the time just sitting there and taking in the scenery :)

Although I have certainly received my share of weird/scared looks from neighbors as I exit the woods. Evidently, in the city, going for a walk in the woods is an indication of someone who is up to no good.

James... that is nice. You sound like a good daddy.
Rae... now that is a great idea. I think I'm moving that to my short list

-----Added 8/1/2009 at 10:22:54 EST-----

Jeremy... that's cool... but the only time I enjoy being in the woods is when I'm covered in deer pee and I'm looking to kill something... and (sigh) my husband won't let me hunt while I'm pregnant.... he's such a meanie ;)

For a 30-second sanity check, I'll jump on here, a baking forum or a wildfire forum (after all, how much can the kids destroy in 30 seconds, heh, heh). For an hour or so, my husband and I might go on a coffee date, or if he takes the kids, I'll usually curl up and read. Longer times usually involve me volunteering to cook down at our presbytery's camp or going out west to work on wildfires. I wish I had the opportunity to just go hang out in the great outdoors. That's what really "feeds" me.

When my wife and I want to take a break together it is usually on the front porch swing. We may talk, read, or just collapse on each other and nap. The other thing we do is go the island after supper and walk. It is so quiet and peaceful then.

When she wants to get away alone it is usually at the library, the beach or shopping.

Having alone time amidst 3 kids 4 and under...usually, this is what I use nap time for! If I've had a particularly crazy day, I take 20 minutes after all the kids are in bed to take a bath or read so I can spend the rest of the evening with my husband without twitching or falling asleep. My man works a lot of hours, and when he is home I generally prefer to spend time with him and the kids, so I don't ask him to watch them for me unless I need to go do something alone like get a haircut.

Every so often a sweet older lady from church will call me up and command that she will come over for a morning for me to get out of the house (woohoo my titus 2 ladies! :) In that case I like to do as Rae suggested - take my current "fun reading" book and camp out at the Starbucks down the road from my house with an iced coffee. Those times are such a blessing!

edited to add another idea - I haven't actually done this, but I always mean to go actually browse at the library - now I generally stay in the kids section with all my munchkins and just reserve the books I want through the library website.

OK just an update... I went to the movies by myself and hubby and the kids cleaned the house and when I got home we ordered Pizza... Tomorrow is date night!!!

Our kids are grown and gone. So we should have a lot of sown time, right? Nope. We're busier than ever. But we live on a lake, so we can sneak out the back door and fish for a few minutes, usually at dusk - or later. (Good fishing, too).

In winter we can snow shoe for a short time; or just stare at the lake as God turns it all kinds of great colors.

My mother goes to get coffee or dinner with friends. She and my father also go out to dinner together and they take a LOT of walks together (in the summer, not so much in the winter). If she's at home and has a break, she reads.

My wife gets alone time about once a week: I let her go to the grocery store by herself. That counts, doesn't it?

Seriously, my wife typically likes to spend her alone time in one of three ways:
1. Driving alone on country highways so she can listen to her music as loud as she wants.
2. Getting her nails done.
3. Most often, however, my wife prefers that I take the kids somewhere so that she can stay at home and sit back in a chair and sip a latte and listen to soft music while she reads.

About twice a year I let her get away for a few days - in fact, this week (Wednesday when I come home from work) she's going to head to Minneapolis to spend the rest of the week with her cousin.

Free time? What's that?

Seems like there's always something to do.

Seriously, we like to drive to the ocean to just sit and read - very peaceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back