What are some of your favorite Biblical Theology books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valiant4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
I am curious to know what good books in the area of biblical theology my PB brethren recommend. I am looking for books (or papers) that would are Reformed and Covenantal in nature. Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Patrick Fairbairn's " The Typology of Scripture", "The Interpretation of Prophecy" and "The Revelation of Law in Scripture"

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Vos has good insights but I am not sure he could communicate them in English. I like a lot of George Ladd. Ed Clowney has some great books, though I am not sure he believes in imperative preaching. Russell Moore's 3 lectures on the Kingdom of Christ (they can be found online) are outstanding biblical theology.

Regrettably much of what passes for "biblical theology" is nothing more than topical or thematic studies arranged in chronological order.

Vos brings out the fundamental principles involved in the organic development of revelation. He is rightly called the father of reformed biblical theology. If he is too difficult to read, Goldsworthy's According to Plan is a helpful bridge. Fairbairn, as already suggested, is very helpful, and seems to have been way ahead of his time because he had pre-empted much of the field by reading and critiquing the German literature.

I'll second that Goldsworthy and Clowney, and will raise you an O. Palmer Robertson. Seriously, though, Clowney and Goldsworthy are excellent (According to Plan is one of my all-time favorites). Haven't read Fairbarne but would love to some day.

Pascal Denault's "Distinctiveness of Baptist Covenant Theology" is very good. Though it is first an historical study, he is comparing the respective biblical/covenantal theologies of the LBCF & the WCF. Easily one of the best books I've read on it. Along those same lines, Nehemiah Coxe's work which is now republished with a portion of John Owen's Hebrews commentary is supposed to be very helpful (the title is Biblical Theology from Adam to Christ") though I haven't read it yet.

I've enjoyed Schreiner's "The King in His Beauty" and Hamilton's "God's Glory in Salvation through Judgment," though they fall more into the category Rev. Winzer references above. Both Beale's "NT Theology" and Goppelt's "Typos" have been fascinating, although I've only had time to dip into them occasionally at this point.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention IVP's "New Dictionary of Biblical Theology." It is great!

Another book I have (but haven't read very far in it) is Van Gemeren's "Progress of Redemption." I've enjoyed where I've dipped in, but haven't taken much of a plunge in it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back