Biblical theology of clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGF

Puritan Board Sophomore
A brief exchange with another brother on the PB had me thinking about the role nakedness played in our first parents lives before and after the fall. I came across this article today from Nick Batzig and was amazed, once again, at God's providence. How many of you frequently will be pondering something when, by apparent coincidence, something will manifest that helps confirm (or even correct) your thoughts?

Anyway, it's a fascinating read.

A Biblical Theology of Clothing | The Christward Collective

Good stuff. Further on that theme, among others, see Henry Scougal's The Christian's Daily Walk, chapter 2, "On beginning the day with God"

A few of his points:

4. When you arise, and dress yourself, . . . this is a fit time to think upon the cause why you have need of apparel; namely, the fall and sin of your first parents,….

and

"While you dress yourself, it will be seasonable and profitable also, by this occasion, to raise your thoughts, Rev. 3:18; and fix them upon that apparel which doth clothe and and adorn your inward man, 1 Peter 3:4, which is spiritual, and of a divine matter, which never is out of fashion, which never weareth out, but is always the better for the wearing. Think thus: If I go naked without bodily apparel, it will be to the shame of my person, and to the hazard of my health and life. But how much more will the filthy nakedness of my soul appear to the eyes of men, of angels, and of God Himself, Rev. 3:17; 16:15; Exod. 32:25, whose pure eyes cannot abide filthiness, Hab. 1:13, whereby my soul will be exposed to most severe judgments; except I have put on, and do keep on me the white linen of Christ's spouse, the righteousness of the saints, Rev. 19:8, that is, justification by faith in Christ, and sanctification by the Spirit of Christ.

I may have to read some more Scougal. Thanks Wayne.

It recalls to mind this passage from John Bradford in his Daily Meditations and Prayers

When you Dress yourself, Pray:

O Christ, clothe me with thine own self, that I may be so far from making provision for my flesh to fulfil the lusts of it, that I may quite put off all my carnal desires, and crucify the kingdom of the flesh in me. Be thou unto me a garment to warm me from catching the cold of this world if thou be away from me, dear Lord, all things will forthwith be unto me cold, weak, dead, &c. But if thou art with me, all things will be warm, lively, fireside &c. Grant therefore, that as I compass this my body with this coat, so thou would clothe me wholly, but especially my soul, with thine own self. Put upon me as the elect of God, mercy, meekness, love, peace, &c.

Occasions to meditate

Call to mind a little how we are incorporated into Christ; again, how he clothes us, and nourishes us under his wings, protection, and providence, preserves us, &c.

I wonder if Adam and Eve never sinned would the temperature of the world remained a certain temp so they never got too cold to cover up? Is winter a result of the fall and perhaps I'm more holy for living in Florida where we don't really have winters? I mean this tounge and cheek of course.

I don't have time to read the article now but have bookmarked it for later.

Another take on it is a book by Jeff Pollard called Christian Modesty and the Public Undressing of America. He also did a sermon series on SermonAudio.com called Christian Modesty and Purity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back