We don't need to pray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weston Stoler

Puritan Board Sophomore
Some one was asking for prayer for something and this was someones response.

"We don't need to pray. Just take God at His PROMISE when He said everything will work out for those who LOVE (verb) Jesus. The End. =)"

This is theologically incorrect big time right?

The Apostle Paul and the Lord Jesus Christ would disagree.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." -1 Thes 5:16-18

"And he (Jesus) told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart." - Luke 18:1

Yes.

Question 116. Why is prayer necessary for christians?

Answer: Because it is the chief part of thankfulness which God requires of us: (a) and also, because God will give his grace and Holy Spirit to those only, who with sincere desires continually ask them of him, and are thankful for them. (b)

(a) Ps.50:14 Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High: Ps.50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me. (b) Matt.7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Matt.7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Luke 11:10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? 1 Thess.5:17 Pray without ceasing.
(Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 116)
Q. 154. What are the outward means whereby Christ communicates to us the benefits of his mediation?
A. The outward and ordinary means whereby Christ communicates to his church the benefits of his mediation, are all his ordinances; especially the Word, sacraments, and prayer; all which are made effectual to the elect for their salvation.(a)

(a) Matthew 28:19-20. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Acts 2:42, 46-47. And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.... And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
(Westminster Larger Catechism Q&A 154)
III. Prayer with thanksgiving, being one special part of religious worship, is by God required of all men; and that it may be accepted, it is to be made in the name of the Son, by the help of his Holy Spirit, according to his will, with understanding, reverence, humility, fervency, faith, love, and perseverance; and, if vocal, in a known tongue.

IV. Prayer is to be made for things lawful, and for all sorts of men living, or that shall live hereafter; but not for the dead, nor for those of whom it may be known that they have sinned the sin unto death.
(Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter XXI)
FAITH IS THE GIFT OF GOD. But this faith is a pure gift of God which God alone of his grace gives to his elect according to this measure when, to whom and to the degree he wills. And he does this by the holy Spirit by means of the preaching of the Gospel and steadfast prayer.
(Second Helvetic Confession, Chapter XVI)

Making sure. After I posted this we got in a semi theological debate. He after all was a prosperity gospel guy. Discernment away!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, prayer is both necessary and a joyful honor. Just make sure that as you point out the things already mentioned here you don't start making it sound as if God's favor toward us depends on our efforts and our many pleadings. We do pray, but we do so as those confident in the Father's goodness, not as those desperate to be heard and trusting in many words (Mat. 6:7, 8).

Yes, prayer is both necessary and a joyful honor. Just make sure that as you point out the things already mentioned here you don't start making it sound as if God's favor toward us depends on our efforts and our many pleadings. We do pray, but we do so as those confident in the Father's goodness, not as those desperate to be heard and trusting in many words (Mat. 6:7, 8).

The conversation started to lean toward what is the context of romans 8. When Faced with the context who shot the question "Do you believe God wants us to prosper in EVERY area of life (financial, social, ect...)" Then I said no and it ended. I was careful not to make the mistake of saying human prayers of many words get us what we want.

Some one was asking for prayer for something and this was someones response.

"We don't need to pray. Just take God at His PROMISE when He said everything will work out for those who LOVE Jesus."

How can you love someone and not want to talk with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back