What should we Pray

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeJUk

Puritan Board Junior
What should we be praying for our sunday services?

Any prayers you often pray prior to your sunday services?

I think these quotes shed light on what is to be prayed during the Lord's Day worship service.

The Directory for Family Worship

IX. So many as can conceive prayer, ought to make use of that gift of God; albeit those who are rude and weaker may begin at a set form of prayer, but so as they be not sluggish in stirring up in themselves (according to their daily necessities) the spirit of prayer, which is given to all the children of God in some measure: to which effect, they ought to be more fervent and frequent in secret prayer to God, for enabling of their hearts to conceive, and their tongues to express, convenient desires to God for their family. And, in the meantime, for their greater encouragement, let these materials of prayer be meditated upon, and made use of, as followeth.

"Let them confess to God how unworthy they are to come in his presence, and how unfit to worship his Majesty; and therefore earnestly ask of God the spirit of prayer.

"They are to confess their sins, and the sins of the family; accusing, judging, and condemning themselves for them, till they bring their souls to some measure of true humiliation.

"They are to pour out their souls to God, in the name of Christ, by the Spirit, for forgiveness of sins; for grace to repent, to believe, and to live soberly, righteously, and godly; and that they may serve God with joy and delight, walking before him.

"They are to give thanks to God for his many mercies to his people, and to themselves, and especially for his love in Christ, and for the light of the gospel.

"They are to pray for such particular benefits, spiritual and temporal, as they stand in need of for the time, (whether it be morning or evening,) as anent health or sickness, prosperity or adversity.

"They ought to pray for the kirk of Christ in general, for all the reformed kirks, and for this kirk in particular, and for all that suffer for the name of Christ; for all our superiors, the king's majesty, the queen, and their children; for the magistrates, ministers, and whole body of the congregation whereof they are members, as well for their neighbours absent in their lawful affairs, as for those that are at home.

"The prayer may be closed with an earnest desire that God may be glorified in the coming of the kingdom of his Son, and in doing of his will, and with assurance that themselves are accepted, and what they have asked according to his will shall be done."

Larger Catechism

Q183: For whom are we to pray?
A183: We are to pray for the whole church of Christ upon earth;[1] for magistrates,[2] and ministers;[3] for ourselves,[4] our brethren,[5] yea, our enemies;[6] and for all sorts of men living,[7] or that shall live hereafter;[8] but not for the dead,[9] nor for those that are known to have sinned the sin unto death.[10]

1. Eph. 6:18; Psa. 28:9
2. I Tim. 2:1-2
3. Col. 4:3
4. Gen. 32:11
5. James 5:16
6. Matt. 5:44
7. I Tim. 2:1-2
8. John 17:20; II Sam. 7:29
9. II Sam. 12:21-23
10. I John 5:16

Q184: For what things are we to pray?
A184: We are to pray for all things tending to the glory of God,[1] the welfare of the church,[2] our own [3] or others good;[4] but not for anything that is unlawful.[5]

1. Matt. 6:9
2. Psa. 51:18, 122:6
3. Matt. 7:11
4. Psa. 125:4
5. I John 5:14

-----Added 8/1/2009 at 10:57:46 EST-----

The Directory for the Publick Worship of God is also helpful on this.

I am often drawn into a portion of scripture I had considered during the week, and that leads to what I pray while preparing for worship. Either that, or I tend to revisit Revelation 5 and following and that in turn informs my contemplation and prayer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back