Two Weeks as an Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theognome

Burrito Bill
Today completed my second week as a full-fledged life and health insurance agent, and it has been an eye-opening week. Two issues in particular come to mind-

1. (For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. 2 Thes. 3:10) Rare are those agents I have met that are not either lazy or overcome with false expectations. It seems that many folks become agents and then expect the world to provide them an extravagant lifestyle without having to put forth much effort. I came from a job where I was expected to sit at a desk and call businesses on the phone and sell them on my company's service; and how many calls I made and how long I talked to potential clients was closely monitored. Thus when I attacked the phone when I first began at the agency I was seen as being some bizarre creature from another planet.

Call reluctance is rampant amongst the agents I have met. Most persons coming into the industry are so fearful of people that they will do anything not to call prospects out of the blue and try to set appointments with them. Because of this, most agents do not last very long, for if you are not willing to be consistent in calling prospects, you will not have the opportunity to sell much. Thus a revolving door is installed at the front of the office. Interesting note- On my first day, I made more prospecting calls than all other agents in the office combined (22 other agents)- which would explain why I wrote more policies in my first week than any other agent in that office.

2. (You shall not afflict any widow or fatherless child. Ex. 22:22) Almost half of the people I've sold policies to are widows and/or single women. Some agents see these folks as 'easy prey', for a slick talker (and I am one) can make them sign anything. But when I see a woman who has an income of less then $1,000 a month, I'm certainly not gong to sell them insurance that will cost them 1/5 or more of their income in premiums- I consider that to be thievery. I met with a lady on Monday who had to live on $800.00 a month, and had left over about $50.00 of income to spend on things that were not essential. I did sell her a medigap policy- an advantage plan that does not cost her any premium at all. True, a 'free policy' means that you get what you pay for, but this woman was willing to buy a policy from me that would cost her almost $200.00 a month, and I refused to sell it to her. She simply couldn't afford it.

Unfortunately, most of the agents who spoke to me about that appointment thought I was nuts for not putting her on the 'J' plan and thus earning a nice commission. My response was simple- My job is not to earn money, but to advise and help people. I get paid for doing that, but if I don't advise with honesty, my commissions are nothing less than blood money. This attitude of mine has make me unpopular with most of the agents at my office. Thankfully, the manager(s) are on my side, and are bending over backwards to support my efforts. Note that the branch manager is a brother in Christ.

Yes, there is a lack of integrity in this industry, but if Christ's chosen infiltrate it enough, we can, through honest work, faithfulness and guidance by His Spirit, show the profession to be respectable before God and a witness to the world.

Theognome

At first I thought you were a CIA agent! :lol: Good work you're doing in honoring Christ!

At first I thought you were a CIA agent! :lol: Good work you're doing in honoring Christ!

Heh. I'm not certain it's possible to honor Christ as a CIA agent. Well, all things are possible, I suppose...

*snicker*

Theognome
Huh? My Dad always told me when I asked if he was a CIA agent that CIA meant 'Christian In Action'. Ya mean that weren't so? I'm shocked, shocked...

Heh. I'm not certain it's possible to honor Christ as a CIA agent. Well, all things are possible, I suppose...

*snicker*

Theognome
Huh? My Dad always told me when I asked if he was a CIA agent that CIA meant 'Christian In Action'. Ya mean that weren't so? I'm shocked, shocked...

That would be a CIA elect, not a CIA agent. So there.

Theognome

It is easy to be blind to sharp practice in your own industry, what better witness can their be than for colleauges to see you valuing the Gospel more than easy money.

I found your post most encouraging and a reminder that I should reconsider my own conduct.

And remember how pigs act when you throw pearls at them. For now I'd keep as much of your principles to yourself as possible, and hopefully over time you will slowly influence your office without being constantly stabbed in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back