Travel advice with laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Yesua_alMasih

Puritan Board Junior
This is more about travel than technology.

How many of you out there travel frequently?

I have before but I have never taken my laptop with me. Now that I am planning on leaving and not coming back for a long time I am taking everything.

What is the deal with traveling internationally with a laptop? I hear so many little bits of info around about.

Some people say you arn't allowed the battery in the laptop, others say you can. Some say you might be charged when passing through customs. Some say you arn't. Any advice?

Also just on security of information. Do customs, border control etc... ever open up the laptop and inspect the content? No one has said they do, but one travel website suggested you deleted all information from the hard-drive that was not needed (no reason given).

Thoughts?

Probably depends on where you are travelling, but I always travel with a laptop (and sometimes two) and have never had problems of the kind you mention, domestically in the US or internationally to Europe. I just pass through without any hindrance, extra charges, etc. Asia might be different, though, I suppose.

Ditto to Todd. Protocol for traveling in the U.S. and Europe is to have the computer turned off, out of its case and in a separate bin when you pass it through the X-ray machine. Other than the separate bin treatment, it's basically treated like a cell phone.

I would contact your airline (check its website, maybe?) directly. They are the most likely to have the specific details about how to properly transport your laptop through their security. If you're using multiple airlines, I'd check each one (or each airport). Even domestic American airports have some variation.

Way back, here in the US, you'd have to turn the laptop on and prove that it was a functioning computer. It's possible that other countries have continued this practice; it makes some sense from a security viewpoint.

Backups are wise. TSA here is notorious for mishandling and damaging laptops. If you are selected for extra security, you may not even have your equipment in sight for awhile, although this is much rarer than it used to be.

I can't address your customs issue -- having your purchase receipts and being able to demonstrate that the computer is in use might help you avoid any suspicion of importing for profit.

Backups are wise. TSA here is notorious for mishandling and damaging laptops. If you are selected for extra security, you may not even have your equipment in sight for awhile, although this is much rarer than it used to be.
Yes. I've literally seen a TSA agent drop a laptop back in its case. It wasn't my laptop and it certainly wasn't the TSA agent's.

Thanks for that. So I suppose that means it would need a battery in it to be functioning.

Anyway I will ring Singapore Airlines and see what they say.

Way back, here in the US, you'd have to turn the laptop on and prove that it was a functioning computer.

Your information is somewhat dated. That was an old rule. Now you put them on the belt in a bin separate from anything else, and they just xray them like they do your shoes. No one touches it (or sometimes 'them' if I have more than one laptop) but me.

Customs is a different issue. They can, if they want, make you display the contents.

Way back, here in the US, you'd have to turn the laptop on and prove that it was a functioning computer.

Your information is somewhat dated. That was an old rule.

And that's why she said "Way back..." :)

Now you put them on the belt in a bin separate from anything else, and they just xray them like they do your shoes. No one touches it (or sometimes 'them' if I have more than one laptop) but me.

Customs is a different issue. They can, if they want, make you display the contents.

I travel pretty often, and I've had no problems traveling internationally with a laptop. You will have to take it out of the case and place it in a separate bin at security however. Other than that, you should have no issues.

I've never had a problem traveling with a laptop (both internationally and domestic). I think its quite commonplace now - especially for business travelers.

Has anyone taken a laptop in carry on to the UK in the last year? I'd heard they were not permitting carry on of electronic devices, including cell phones on arrivals or departures. It is good news if this is no longer true. But, I haven't traveled to the UK in the last five years. I don't like to travel without a computer; but will not take one as checked luggage.

Has anyone taken a laptop in carry on to the UK in the last year? I'd heard they were not permitting carry on of electronic devices, including cell phones on arrivals or departures. It is good news if this is no longer true. But, I haven't traveled to the UK in the last five years. I don't like to travel without a computer; but will not take one as checked luggage.

Things Travelers Need To Know | New rules on flying with batteries. has a chart near the bottom...
Edit: appears to apply only to the US, but the British Airways website only says you need to be able to separate during security screeing, not that it must be checked.

Yes, I traveled through Heathrow Airport last summer....and had no issues with it being a carry-on.

-----Added 5/27/2009 at 12:13:11 EST-----

Things Travelers Need To Know | New rules on flying with batteries. has a chart near the bottom...
Edit: appears to apply only to the US, but the British Airways website only says you need to be able to separate during security screeing, not that it must be checked.

I believe that is referring to travleing with SPARE batteries, however, it is fine to carry a laptop with a battery already in its place.

Traveling with a laptop to India/Nepal is also not a issue. You are allowed.

I traveled through Heathrow 2 weeks ago and the laptop was no problem. It just had to be put through x-ray separately.

You would think a spare battery would be as dangerous as one in use...

They are considered MORE dangerous. The concern is that a piece of metal could short the contacts, and cause the battery to overheat.
Oh?

Didn't think of that. Will a battery in use not short the same?

Hopefully not. It is latched in place and the contacts are against the pickups.

From the TSA website:

# If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating the batteries from contact with other batteries and metal. Do not permit a loose battery to come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys, or jewelry.
# Place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Isolating terminals prevents short-circuiting.
TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back